I don't use a lot of apps, so I may not really understand people's preferences over native to ported, but I would think that either way it will only benefit BB. It is true that a ported app may not function or have the fluidity of a natively built app but isn't having it there better than not having it? I would think making it easier for devs to port apps over from Android, for example, will only help BB by increasing its ecosystem. Then there isn't a reason for people to say BB lacks this or that app.

So I'm just curious why some are so determined to go all native or none? Wouldn't that mindset hurt BB more than it helps?

Also, I have run across one post where someone said that allowing Android ports will come back to nip BB in the behind but will it pose that much of a problem in the future? And why? I can understand that allowing porting gives a dev excuse to not create a native app but you still have the app available in BB World, so how does that create a negative impact on BB in the long run?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-06-13 12:50 AM
    Native apps look better. The side to side menus throughout BB10 are great. When you build an app with those your app instantly blends with the OS and feel as one.

Android ports feel different, you can tell your in one. There still good though. Not like developers are dumping **** all over android, people are happy with android. It's just BlackBerry doesn't it better. But I prefer to have the apps rather then not. It's up to blackberry to convince developers to go native. Not I.

The only thing I hate about the whole dual experience right now is back on a BB10 app is Swipe right. Back on an Android port is Swipe on a 45angle to the left from the bottom bezel. I'm in android 75% of the time so when I end up using that gesture in BlackBerry App. Even if it was 50/50 it gets frustrating

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 01:12 AM
    Native apps look better. The side to side menus throughout BB10 are great. When you build an app with those your app instantly blends with the OS and feel as one.

Android ports feel different, you can tell your in one. Theyre still good though. Not like developers are dumping **** all over android, people are happy with android. It's just BlackBerry does it better. But I prefer to have the apps rather then not. It's up to blackberry to convince developers to go native. Not I.

The only thing I hate about the whole dual experience right now is back on a BB10 app is Swipe right. Back on an Android port is Swipe on a 45angle to the left from the bottom bezel. I'm in android 75% of the time so when I end up using that gesture in BlackBerry App. Even if it was 50/50 it gets frustrating

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 01:13 AM
    i find that native apps run faster and smoother.. and also they look better.. the cascades architecture is beautiful... most ported andoid apps.. look exactly like... android apps!! for me, not the prettiest (just my opinion) and definetely more laggy... the android port that seemsto work flawlessly is the crackberry forums app for the blackberry playbook.. although i am sure there are more!! i try and stay away from ported apps if i can...
    03-06-13 05:38 AM
    I honestly don't care as long as the app runs flawlessly!
    Barljo and kbz1960 like this.
    03-06-13 05:47 AM
    In my opinion, bb10 should use that "Swipe on a 45angle to the left from the bottom bezel" in the whole system. It is a nice way to go back.

Unfortunately I don't have a BB10 but some times I try to go back in my playbook with the swipe gesture, specially in internet. The back bottom in the explorer is too small for me...
    03-06-13 06:02 AM
    Native simply because I can peek and swipe navigate easy and consitently.Native as there's intergration with the OS apps and share function.Native cause it runs on the OS not some VM thats not stable and prone to crash.
    03-06-13 06:09 AM
    Native apps look better and more consistent in usage. They also run better as anytime you have to run an emulator, there is additional overhead for that process.
    03-06-13 06:18 AM
    I honestly don't care as long as the app runs flawlessly!
    Same for me. If it does what it is supposed to without issues who cares.
    ajst222 likes this.
    03-06-13 06:20 AM
    I prefer Native apps and I wish they would put an icon on those in the store so that you know before downloading them.
    tjseaman likes this.
    03-06-13 06:22 AM
    Ports don't have pretty active frames.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    Last edited by sotgl3000; 03-06-13 at 03:23 PM.
    03-06-13 06:38 AM
    For me it is functionality..... I cannot speak to BB10 as I only use a 9800 and Playbook.... Apps that run correctly and fit my needs are my only consideration.... BB10 is a bit different as It has such an Elegant OS that Android Apps do tend to stick out like a sore thumb..... to each their own...
    03-06-13 11:59 AM
    Don't they have those "Made for BB" logos on certain apps that are made for BB? And they use to have a section that highlighted these but they took that down.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    03-09-13 01:05 AM
    Native apps are better. No diagonal swipes to go back and they run faster. Less vulnerable to typical android problems like malware etc too.
    03-09-13 02:34 AM
    Don't they have those "Made for BB" logos on certain apps that are made for BB? And they use to have a section that highlighted these but they took that down.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    I think the built for bb ones have the corner of the app icon peeled back with the bb logo in the corner. Not sure if that's for all of them
    03-09-13 02:35 AM
    Is there any way we can change the blackberry world setting so it doesn't show the Android ports? Also, I can't find the difference if an app is an android port or native until I install it and run it.

Posted via CB10
    eninrebmun likes this.
    03-10-13 03:05 AM
    Native are sliiiiick. really nice. I don't mind ported though. I'd rather have it than not have it
    03-10-13 09:10 AM
    Native apps have much smoother performance. Hopefully jellybean will close the gap
    03-10-13 11:01 AM
    I don't care too much as long as they do the job, some of my most used apps are ports, like Appy Geek. But it is true that native apps do generally run better and take full advantage of the Cascades UI, with ports you are always taking a few minutes to figure out the controls...

JR
    03-10-13 03:22 PM
    It's nice to use apps that are built specifically for the platform. Ported Android apps become apparent in their non-BB menu, plus the swipe to go back. And I'm really liking the native BB menu system. So I would of course prefer native apps. I do use some ported apps from the store, and some sideloaded ones. They do the job, and fill in the gaps.

On the other hand, as long as tech bloggers, reporters, and commentaters keep harping on the number of apps, BB will be behind for a long while. So the Android capability is a necessary evil to bolster the numbers, though that doesn't say anything for quality as is well-known by now.
    03-11-13 01:04 AM