Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 07:05 PM
    Cool! Should be good news I imagine.

Passport is heaven
    12-04-14 07:13 PM
    Awesome!!!

Posted via Commodore 64
    12-04-14 07:15 PM
    BlackBerry, NantHealth to team up on health care-focused smartphone - Dallas Business Journal

industry specific phones

yes i realize the article is old but that's my guess as to announcement...
    12-04-14 07:18 PM
    And I just came across this:

https://twitter.com/forbeshealth/sta...00914784968704

"New BlackBerry product"

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 07:19 PM
    riss89 likes this.
    12-04-14 07:28 PM
    That was very interesting video. Pretty cool stuff that BlackBerry is doing with the passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 08:06 PM
    That's a great picture OP. It looks like they are good friends and get along well, which makes for a great partnership. Thanks for posting it.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 08:14 PM
    Strategic partnerships is BlackBerry's game now. I can smell BES Cloud service here and an example of BlackBerry's end-to-end solution that keeps them relevant in the device space.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 11:21 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    For the average uneducated person out there Blackberry is known as an "outdated keyboard mobile phone company"... the more informed know this is furthest from the truth.

But under CEO chen, Blackberry has been morphing into multiple strategic yet complimentary service/product areas, in addition to its mobile device offering... it's focused on being a leader and being innovative...

All these "offerings" are intended to be profitable and to scale up... over time. Hopefully, this is one such initiative which will pay big dividends for Blackberry.....

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 12:27 AM
    Interesting, but not very practical for the average health care provider. Showed it to my wife (a Doc) and she said interesting, but of no value to her.
    12-05-14 11:11 AM
    For the average uneducated person out there Blackberry is known as an "outdated keyboard mobile phone company"... the more informed know this is furthest from the truth.

But under CEO chen, Blackberry has been morphing into multiple strategic yet complimentary service/product areas, in addition to its mobile device offering... it's focused on being a leader and being innovative...

All these "offerings" are intended to be profitable and to scale up... over time. Hopefully, this is one such initiative which will pay big dividends for Blackberry.....

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    A bit demeaning, don't you think? Blackberry hasn't proven anything yet. Let's wait and see how these strategies work out before mocking others.
    app_Developer, kbz1960 and riss89 like this.
    12-05-14 12:16 PM
    I'm thinking something possibly about the classic??? Makes the most sense to me because their announcing it in a couple weeks.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 05:16 PM
    Interesting, but not very practical for the average health care provider. Showed it to my wife (a Doc) and she said interesting, but of no value to her.
    Let's hope that your wife's opinion isn't that of the medical community at large. One would hate to think that our health challenges, now and in the future, are in the hands of medical personnel not willing to be "forward thinking".

It may be of minimal utility to the average practitioner but its potential is undeniable.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    riss89 likes this.
    12-05-14 06:49 PM
    Let's hope that your wife's opinion isn't that of the medical community at large. One would hate to think that our health challenges, now and in the future, are in the hands of medical personnel not willing to be "forward thinking".

It may be of minimal utility to the average practitioner but its potential is undeniable.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    Well knowing full well how a hospital runs, I can say anything would be an improvement. The current patchwork of offerings (I'm talking about you Apple) are somewhere between comical and embarrassing.

Speaking of which, I just came back from a large medical conference where some of the Apple Health offerings were being showcased. They were shockingly poor in terms of quality and utility. Lots of future potential in this area.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 10:02 PM
    The genomic data browser Nanthealth has got running on BlackBerry Passport could become a very significant tool in the next 5-10 years. We are already seeing so called designer drug regimes being used on patients based on their genomic profile. If you have a certain gene mutation you drug A, if not you get Drug B, etc. This is happening today, only not on full genomic sequencing of individuals they just look at the couple of genes they have different treatments for.
    With the continual lowering of full genome sequencing costs and turnaround times, we will see it as a routine process within a decade. To assess that data, prescribe appropriate treatments based on it, docs will need a secure, reliable, high performance system underlying it all

Posted via CB10
    RigoMonster, Skyforever and riss89 like this.
    12-05-14 10:50 PM
    This is reasonably understood, seeing as "the average health care provider", such as your wife, does not deal with genome sequencing. Genomics is still in large part a specialty that requires special training and education to understand exactly what it is, how it works, and how to use it. It's been more in the field of science than medicine and clinical health care, and is still in transitional stages between the former and the latter to more accurately utilize it's full potential in terms of providing meaningful and quality health care. So it's not surprising that she can't find value in this innovation. This is actually a great example of the theory of Diffusion of Innovations, if anyone is familiar with it; Blackberry and NantHealth are comprising the innovators, the first physicians (who have already begun to integrate the complex scientific study of genomics into their patient's medical care) are the early adopters, while the average health care providers are most likely to fall into the late majority group. Very interesting and ingenious medical and scientific technological achievement for the companies! Good for them!

+-keystroke queen-+
    12-05-14 11:10 PM
    I hope the plan is to keep it simple and easy. Collect all medical information,( past, present and future), that pertains to an individual and make it available to quickly be accessed anywhere in the world through a secure framework. Medical data mining.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 08:18 AM
    I was speaking with a Dr friend the other day and he was speaking of his speciality and that was using ultrasound in the emergency room. He saw my passport and thought that the screen was nice. He said that they use an Android phone or tablet that tethers to the ultrasound probe.

http://www.nomj.ca/2010/12/01/champi...ltrasound.html

It is areas like this if BlackBerry had the apps that they could sell a lot of devices.

Dev's out there should look into this.

Posted using my amazing Passport
    12-06-14 09:18 AM
    This is a niche but important market. The problem is, as pointed out above, other OS's are already in the market so Blackberry has to catch up again. Not that they can't because these services are still early in development.
    12-06-14 03:33 PM
    Medical data must use the best security. Lots of laws for protection of patient data and identity. Hope the ultrasound imaging doesn't get hacked out to a public site. Image how that would go down!

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 04:10 PM
    I hope the plan is to keep it simple and easy. Collect all medical information,( past, present and future), that pertains to an individual and make it available to quickly be accessed anywhere in the world through a secure framework. Medical data mining.

Posted via CB10
    If this is the plan then security better be a high priority. If you thought leaked nudies were bad, wait until the bad guys get their hands on people's medical records.
    12-06-14 04:26 PM
    This is a niche but important market. The problem is, as pointed out above, other OS's are already in the market so Blackberry has to catch up again. Not that they can't because these services are still early in development.
    Not at all. This is new territory. This is not looking at an ultrasound on your iPad. This is instant access to mass data collected from lots of medical devices (running on QNX through BlackBerry's network). That's the big deal. They're basically able to match the best treatment up with a person's genome -- designer drugs courtesy of the Internet of Things. This is next-level stuff and makes any "app" on either of the other two platforms look like amateur hour.
    Skyforever likes this.
    12-06-14 04:29 PM
    Not at all. This is new territory. This is not looking at an ultrasound on your iPad. This is instant access to mass data collected from lots of medical devices (running on QNX through BlackBerry's network). That's the big deal. They're basically able to match the best treatment up with a person's genome -- designer drugs courtesy of the Internet of Things. This is next-level stuff and makes any "app" on either of the other two platforms look like amateur hour.
    Understood but it won't have any significant real world application for quite a while. There are hospitals in the U.S. still not fully integrating EMR yet. This will require even more cost and it took financial incentives from the government to begin the rollout of electronic medical records. Believe me, I think its cool as I'm in the healthcare field and an advocate of these things. I also know how the business works and its similar to a snail.
    12-06-14 06:08 PM
    Understood but it won't have any significant real world application for quite a while. There are hospitals in the U.S. still not fully integrating EMR yet. This will require even more cost and it took financial incentives from the government to begin the rollout of electronic medical records. Believe me, I think its cool as I'm in the healthcare field and an advocate of these things. I also know how the business works and its similar to a snail.
    It actually already has significant real world application, just not on a mass scale. There's still a lot of kinks to iron out in terms of taking what's being discovered about specific genes and genomic sequencing and translating it into personalized medical care in a doctor's office. And the cost of genomic sequencing itself has drastically been reduced, and continues to decrease in cost thanks to the furthering of related technological advancements

+-keystroke queen-+
    12-06-14 06:28 PM
41 12