View Poll Results: What Glass should RIM use for their BB10 Screens?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gorilla Glass 2

24 72.73%
  • Dragontrail Glass

2 6.06%
  • SCHOTT's Xensation Cover Glass

6 18.18%
  • Something else (explain in the comments)

1 3.03%
    It got me to thinking. Gorilla Glass is very popular.....or alteast with the general public who pay a bit of attention to tech news. Since the iPhone started using it you often hear Gorilla Glass this & Gorilla Glass that. Infact this year they showed off Gorilla Glass 2 which can be 20% thinner.

However, i for one have never been a huge supporter of Gorilla Glass, impressed, yes. BUT I always saw a big problem with GG (got tired of typing Gorilla Glass over & over again). If you watched the GG Demos at CES you noticed that they always had the pressure slowly increased.

The reason for this, GG does not do well with sudden shocks. That's why you often see iPhones with cracked screens (or atleast one reason)

N4BB mentioned 2 other possible types of glass.
    Dragontrail Glass - used in the SONY Xperia
    SCHOTT's Xensation Cover Glass - Will be making it's phone debut Q3 2012

From what I can see Dragontrail is very similiar to GG alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass. Meanwhile SCHOTT have developed a Glass that they say is stronger the GG2 & 20% bendier. It also seems to be more resistant to shock.

Me with my VERY limited knowledge would vote SCHOTT Glass Both for the touch screen & also for the Camera Lens.......I forgot to mention SCHOTT is well known by the photographic community for manufacturing the glass components of Zeiss and Schneider Kreuznach lenses.

So what do you guys think?
    Gorilla Glass 2
    Dragontrail Glass
    SCHOTT's Xensation Cover Glass
    or
    Something else (explain in the comments)
    Last edited by bbpandy; 08-20-12 at 11:48 AM.
    08-19-12 11:07 PM
    Thought I would add a cool Gorilla Picture...don't let this pic influence your pick lol

Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-19-12 11:11 PM
    dont really know much about any of these types, just saw the GG demo during CES. If this xensation one is "bendier" and stronger, obviously i'd prefer that.....whatever's sturdiest i suppose.
    08-19-12 11:33 PM
    What is wrong with their current screen? BB's have always had the most resilient screens in the history of smartphones, and when they do crack/break, they don't cut you or shatter into pieces, usually it is just a line here or there. It may also have to do with how the phone is constructed to absorb damage(the battery pops out and the back flies away, I am sure that saves the phone's internals and screen from absorbing most of the energy
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-19-12 11:36 PM
    I say they should use whatever they already have bought and are ready to use. To late in the game to be changing stuff around when the "hardware is ready"
    hpjrt and OniBerry like this.
    08-19-12 11:38 PM
    Don't use GG,apple will want a cut lol.
    08-19-12 11:44 PM
    Gorilla Glass is awesome. My current device uses it, and I definitely want to see it on the BB10 devices. It would be an incentive for me to purchase a BB10 device.
    08-20-12 12:04 AM
    Something that can better handle drops.

We've got the scratch resistant part down, and slowly adding pressure to the surface wont hurt the glass.

But I'd like to see glass being dropped from a counter top or something of the sort as a demo. Maybe drop the glass onto concrete/pavement. Then I'll be a believer.
    08-20-12 12:24 AM
    What is the current glass on the 9900?
    I took the screen protector off 5 months ago and not a scratch on it. I'm a normal user. Don't use a case or leather pouch. But I take care not to put the phone in the same pocket in which I might have coins, keys etc.
    My friend took the protector off from his 9900 and not a scratch on his either, so overall I'm pretty happy with the screen as is, whatever that might be?
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    08-20-12 12:42 AM
    Something that can better handle drops.

We've got the scratch resistant part down, and slowly adding pressure to the surface wont hurt the glass.

But I'd like to see glass being dropped from a counter top or something of the sort as a demo. Maybe drop the glass onto concrete/pavement. Then I'll be a believer.
    I've dropped my 9900 a few times and once on the road. Thankfully each time it fell on its metal band and nothing happened to it.
    While it would be nice for a screen to be able to sustain a drop on a hard surface, nothing really is bulletproof..not even a bullet proof vest .
    08-20-12 12:47 AM
    I've dropped my iPhone at least 3 times, caseless, once from two rungs up a ladder onto the concrete stockroom floor and twice it flew out of my hand taking it out of my pocket and it hit the tiled store floor. It's pristine.

I had GG on my SGS 1 and after over a year it was almost totally scratch free without a screen protector and many falls.

My SGS3 has hit the floor twice from about 4 feet. Caseless and no screen protector. It's fine.

The stores demo SGS2 and the demo SGS 1 before it were punched with keys, xacto knives were raked across them, they were hammered into the metal corner of the tills, thrown across the store and all still work. Well I should say the SGS 2 is dead after our manager took a rubber mallet to it over the course of 4 days and easy 30+ swings...the glass is intact. The digitizer underneath failed.

I have no concerns or worries about GG. Period. If it hits the sweet spot, regardless of the glass, it's toast, but I feel a helluva lot better about it when it's Gorilla Glass.

As far as Apple wanting a cut (as stack berry or whoever claimed) , other companies have been using GG for years, Apple goes out of its way to not specify of its GG or not. I think it only got confirmed by some leaked document. If Apple hasn't 'demanded a cut' so far I really doubt they will now, unless this is just an excuse to demonize Apple for no reason as per usual.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by reeneebob; 08-20-12 at 01:06 AM.
    08-20-12 12:55 AM
    I'm not just relying on Gorilla Glass now. I'm also using an Otterbox case.

I'm not usually clumsy with my smartphones, but I won the Otterbox from a contest on wpcentral, so I'll take advantage of my contest win.
    08-20-12 01:29 AM
    What is wrong with their current screen? BB's have always had the most resilient screens in the history of smartphones, and when they do crack/break, they don't cut you or shatter into pieces, usually it is just a line here or there. It may also have to do with how the phone is constructed to absorb damage(the battery pops out and the back flies away, I am sure that saves the phone's internals and screen from absorbing most of the energy
    Indeed. Why mess with a good thing? I know plenty of people with broken iPhone screens, but I very rarely see a BlackBerry with a broken screen. Of course, a lot of it has to do with the fact that the screen doesn't engulf the entire front of BlackBerrys in most cases, and they have thicker bezels.
    08-20-12 01:45 AM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf1fRu9YgfE[/YT]

I believe this is GG. The video seems legit.
    08-20-12 02:06 AM
    on the topic of broken iphone screens, a friend posted this just a few days ago.

And this is mine.

i did manage to replace the glass though. But not without cutting myself once or twice trying to remove the little pieces from the digitizer.
    08-20-12 02:13 AM
    What the heck did your friend do to the iPhone? Was it microwaved or something?
    08-20-12 02:19 AM
    What the heck did your friend do to the iPhone? Was it microwaved or something?
    I have no idea, all i know that it was definitely unintentional. He has been known to be very careful with his iPhone. Dropped from a really high height, ran over by a car, who knows. haha.

anyway, i was just looking up on SCHOTT.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YAfjgWyWW0&feature=relmfu[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zbGI9hf7uI&feature=relmfu[/YT]
    08-20-12 03:02 AM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LDqgU2qFtU&feature=relmfu[/YT]

Here's dragontrail.

Though i'm still not going to vote for anyone of them, because RIM probably has already decided what glass to use, and they should just stick to that.
    08-20-12 03:06 AM
    A friend of mine has an Android phone (her iPhone was stolen) and she dropped it.
    The bottom part is all shattered.
    Looks bad.
    08-20-12 06:55 AM
    I voted for Gorilla Glass 2, but after reading and seeing the different video of other types, I'm not so sure . I just hope RIM gets it right this time, because their going to need a superior device to get back in the HUNT
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    08-20-12 07:34 AM
    iPhone has never used GG; they use a propriety glass screen manufactured in China (read: cheap imitation).
    hpjrt likes this.
    09-13-12 06:02 PM
    With all the smashed iPhone and iPad screens I've seen i think anything other than whatever they're using although perhaps the design and engineering of the case is also a factor.

Whatever they're using on my 9800, 9900 and PB seems really tough. I seem to drop all of them(especially my 9800) and have only just recently cracked a screen after a direct face down hit on a pointy rock.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 09-13-12 at 06:25 PM.
    09-13-12 06:21 PM

I believe this is GG. The video seems legit.
    wow, i would never think of using phone as a hammer. beautiful
    09-13-12 06:31 PM
    iPhone has never used GG; they use a propriety glass screen manufactured in China (read: cheap imitation).
    Try again. Corning makes Apple's glass and always has. In fact, what is now marketed as Gorilla Glass was reintroduced by Corning in 2007 for the first iPhone. Apple doesn't use brand names when it describes it's components. Hence, you don't hear Samsung Cortex A9 chip specially designed by Apple, you hear A5 or A6.

Just like they don't put Intel Inside stickers on their computers.

But Corning has ALWAYS been Apple's glass supplier, long before other companies (including RIM) even used glass.
    09-13-12 09:21 PM
    My feelings exactly! I posted a poll asking "screen, glass or plastic?" after Kevin's Android destruction and seeing a lot of glass screen phones breaking in the real world. I think the non-breakability of BlackBerry screens outweigh the advantages of glass. I have never used a case on my BlackBerrys, just a screen protector, when the protector get trashed, stick on a new one.
    09-13-12 10:45 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD