Wth so many BB devices out there, I would like to ask, are apps written for newer devices downward compatible with older devices?

I am aware that a brand new OS has been launched recently but im not very interested in that right now since it will take time before it goes mainstream here in India atleast.

Which are the predominant os versions that can be found on the majority of devices?

Thanks a lot.
    09-30-10 02:43 AM
    Your questions are so vague it's difficult to answer them.

1. Usually not, but they could be. It really depends on the app and what it does.

2. The majority of all the devices released in the past 1-2 years or so are predominantly on 5.0.0.XXX at the moment, but there was 4.5, 4.6, 4.7. It really depends on what phone you have.

I don't have a clue if these are the answers you're looking for, but if you give us some more information we can maybe help you out more.
    09-30-10 03:10 AM
    Your questions are so vague it's difficult to answer them.

1. Usually not, but they could be. It really depends on the app and what it does.

2. The majority of all the devices released in the past 1-2 years or so are predominantly on 5.0.0.XXX at the moment, but there was 4.5, 4.6, 4.7. It really depends on what phone you have.

I don't have a clue if these are the answers you're looking for, but if you give us some more information we can maybe help you out more.
    I apologise for the vague questions so ill jump right into the crux of it. Is there is any app on the Blackberry which will help me with search and rescue of my phone.

1. It must be compatible with older blackberry phones as well (my sister is still using a curve from 2 years ago)

2. It must provide a facility wherein a background process will run and detect that a new SIM card has been inserted send the new SIM pin number (or better still the actual tel no of the sim inserted) to a predesignated number via SMS. This way, the GPS being on/off or the wifi/gprs/3G activity is not a requirement.

3. Probably the only workaround would be if the thief is smart enough to reinstall the entire OS on the phone before putting in the new SIM. (then i guess im just screwed!)

looking forward to the experts input here at crackberry.

Thanks.
    09-30-10 03:14 AM
    It would be helpful to not only list the make of your phone but also what version of OS you are running as well.
    09-30-10 03:49 AM
    It would be helpful to not only list the make of your phone but also what version of OS you are running as well.
    I use a blabkberry bold 9000 and my sister is on the curve 8300.
    09-30-10 03:54 AM
    I use a blabkberry bold 9000 and my sister is on the curve 8300.
    and what is the OS version you are running on them? 4.6.0.xxx? 4.7.0.xxx? 5.0.0.xxx?
    09-30-10 03:56 AM
    I apologise for the vague questions so ill jump right into the crux of it. Is there is any app on the Blackberry which will help me with search and rescue of my phone.

1. It must be compatible with older blackberry phones as well (my sister is still using a curve from 2 years ago)

2. It must provide a facility wherein a background process will run and detect that a new SIM card has been inserted send the new SIM pin number (or better still the actual tel no of the sim inserted) to a predesignated number via SMS. This way, the GPS being on/off or the wifi/gprs/3G activity is not a requirement.

3. Probably the only workaround would be if the thief is smart enough to reinstall the entire OS on the phone before putting in the new SIM. (then i guess im just screwed!)

looking forward to the experts input here at crackberry.

Thanks.
    Something along the lines of GetItBack?
    09-30-10 04:00 AM
    This is what you need then, I believe it has all the features you mentioned.

Mobile Security & Wireless Backup for Smartphones - SmrtGuard
    09-30-10 04:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD