I have a blackberry pearl 8130 and did a battery pull this evening and noticed a small watch battery on the circuitry under my normal battery and I am wondering what it is for, or if it is simply the cmos battery that keeps the clock inline.

Thanks
    04-20-10 10:54 PM
    EDIT: Read question wrong
    04-20-10 10:59 PM
    I think he is referring to hardware in the device, not an icon on the screen.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-20-10 11:05 PM
    I think he is referring to hardware in the device, not an icon on the screen. [/i]
    Oh yeah I read that wrong.
    04-20-10 11:08 PM
    This is a Storm, but there is a battery in the picture.

04-20-10 11:09 PM
    My buddy with a 8310 reported this to me a couple weeks ago.... He dropped the device and the bottom case opened a bit, he said a small battery fell out.... But yet phone works fine
    04-20-10 11:11 PM
    Yah looks to be the same or similiar battery but what is its purpose?
    04-20-10 11:30 PM
    CMOS maybe? pull the watch battery out, then the phone battery. leave it out for an hour or 2, reinstall it and boot up. Check all settings/messages/etc to see if anything is changed or missing... other then that I have no clue....

Perhaps it has to do with RIM's excellent device security?
    Last edited by dancing-bass; 04-21-10 at 08:15 AM. Reason: unclear in my description
    04-20-10 11:35 PM
    ===== QUOTE lak611 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Yah looks to be the same or similiar battery but what is its purpose?
    I don't know. I see one in my 9000 also. I never gave any thought to what it is for.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-20-10 11:38 PM
    It probably is to keep the clock working.
    04-21-10 02:30 AM
    It probably is to keep the clock working.
    But that gets sync'd off the cell towers as soon as the device gets powered up, doesn't it?
    04-21-10 08:16 AM
    Well if you do a battery pull you don't lose your OS or contacts, so presumably the battery is there to keep the flash storage working. I think the flash they use is more expensive (and faster) than the kind you find in memory cards and it probably needs power.
    04-21-10 08:57 AM
    Just an observation, when your main battery runs to zero, it shuts off the radio, however it can in an emergency call 911 maybe its a backup in this situation.
    04-21-10 09:11 AM
    I don't think that size battery could power the radios even for an emergency call, much less boot the phone or keep it alive.
    04-21-10 09:16 AM
    Well if you do a battery pull you don't lose your OS or contacts, so presumably the battery is there to keep the flash storage working. I think the flash they use is more expensive (and faster) than the kind you find in memory cards and it probably needs power.
    Flash is a possible use for it, my roommate who has a storm suggested that it might be used to power the Java something on the phone, don't recall what exactly he said since it was late.
    04-21-10 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD