I've decided to do an experiment and I'm going to take the next year and switch completely to all BlackBerry devices. I'm giving up my Android phone, my iPod touch and my iPad all together and just stick with my Bold, my PlayBook and possibly a 9850 or 9810 as my secondary phone/media player.

I've always been the type to go out and buy the latest and greatest and I'm constantly hitting up craigslist or ebay to offload last months new toy for this months new toy, mainly just because I love to play around with something new. As I go through with this process I'm going to blog a few times a week about it, and compare apps, devices, and my experiences with them. It's going to be pretty hard for me to avoid picking up all neat things coming out in the next few months, but I think this will be kind of fun as well as a challenge. Not to mention it will keep my wife happy when it comes time to pay the bills. LOL

If I had to put a fanboy label on me, it would probably be an Apple fanboy because I'ma Mac user and I'm entrenched in the Mac/Apple ecosystem. I broke free to a degree when I got rid of my iPhone 4 and went Android for a few months recently, but my work phone has always been a Blackberry.

So what do you guys think, is this even slightly interesting or am I just being a nut job? I'd appreciate any feedback, especially if you have a topic you would like to see covered or an idea or two. The link to my Blog is in my sig and thanks for taking the time to read my rant.
    10-26-11 02:31 AM
    Your doing fine cause you can see what's better

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jeffcrn likes this.
    10-26-11 02:52 AM
    Now this is a very nice experiment, and wont be that hard to complete.

To start with, u can get rid of this horrible application called ITUNES.
    And more important, u have Secure devices when choosing RIM.

Since i have got my Bold 9700 and Playbook 16GB i gave away my HTC HD2 and never touched my IPAD again. There really is no need for those "Toys R us devices (Android phones, Ipad/Iphones) anymore.
    10-26-11 02:58 AM
    We'll see if you regret looking functionality that Android & Apple give you. Blackberry cannot give you the same functionality as their competitors.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-26-11 10:50 AM
    There really is no need for those "Toys R us devices (Android phones, Ipad/Iphones) anymore.
    Childlike comments like these negate any valid points you may actually have.
    10-26-11 10:54 AM
    I look forward to your results. I fool around with various devices myself and yet nothing ever seems as functional or efficient as my BB. Granted I primary use my phone for communication purposes only. The Playbook more than makes up for any lacking media type stuff that my phone cannot do.

Best of luck!!
    kbz1960 and jeffcrn like this.
    10-26-11 12:25 PM
    We'll see if you regret looking functionality that Android & Apple give you. Blackberry cannot give you the same functionality as their competitors.
    Like what?

10-26-11 01:07 PM
    The only issue I could foresee is the fact that you said on your blog site, "I’m a Mac user and I boot into Windows when I have to, but I do not like to."

DM for Mac does not provide the same functionality as DM for Windows. You probably will need to use Windows for maintaining your BlackBerry, especially for OS upgrades.
    llamax and jeffcrn like this.
    10-26-11 01:24 PM
    The only issue I could foresee is the fact that you said on your blog site, "I�m a Mac user and I boot into Windows when I have to, but I do not like to."

DM for Mac does not provide the same functionality as DM for Windows. You probably will need to use Windows for maintaining your BlackBerry, especially for OS upgrades.
    I can agree and not agree. When I was updating my 9700 to OS 6 I couldn't on windows because it kept getting fatal errors. Plugged to mac and bam! Done in 30 mins

10-26-11 01:33 PM
    I can agree and not agree. When I was updating my 9700 to OS 6 I couldn't on windows because it kept getting fatal errors. Plugged to mac and bam! Done in 30 mins

If one: wishes to use an OS from a carrier other than his own; wants to run a leaked OS; or wants to shrink the OS, Windows is necessary.

Also, if the device gets bricked, the tools for fixing nuked BlackBerry require Windows.
    llamax likes this.
    10-26-11 01:36 PM
    If one: wishes to use an OS from a carrier other than his own; wants to run a leaked OS; or wants to shrink the OS, Windows is necessary.

Also, if the device gets bricked, the tools for fixing nuked BlackBerry require Windows.
    Ok now I agree 100% I always use carrier os

10-26-11 01:39 PM
    Why is it an actual good thread gets derailed when one person makes a useless/uneducated comment? This is actually a pretty interesting topic, but the only hard part is sticking with one phone/manufaturer. Trust me I've tried several times and I like pretty much every OS I have used. Blackberry is still my top choice and will come back hopefully next year when QNX is here.
    10-26-11 01:49 PM
    Like what?

I was about to ask the same thing. This sounds like a fun experiment OP. I've been using a playbook with either a 9700 or 9900 since the April launch. I have enjoyed the combination.
    10-26-11 01:56 PM
    Now this is a very nice experiment, and wont be that hard to complete.

To start with, u can get rid of this horrible application called ITUNES.
    And more important, u have Secure devices when choosing RIM.

Since i have got my Bold 9700 and Playbook 16GB i gave away my HTC HD2 and never touched my IPAD again. There really is no need for those "Toys R us devices (Android phones, Ipad/Iphones) anymore.
    Further evidence that RIM fanboys are just as bad as Android and Apple fans. Stupid **** like this is why there are so many arguments on this site.
    10-26-11 02:04 PM
    Back on topic, thanks for all the input folks! I do appreciate it. I have run into the need for a Windows DM a long time ago, I use eWallet on my BB and the only way to sync the wallet file to the BB is with the Windows version of DM. It's not a big deal though, my home file server is in a cabinet down to the right of my normal working position in my study and I can plug into that quickly and use RDP to do what I need.

Functionality is in the hands of the user, not everyone has a NEED to be ROOT and hack the crap out of their device. The only Android devices I can say I was really happy with were by HTC, because I liked the user experience when I used the device, and frankly I have seen just as many apps fail and have problems because of the fragmentations of the hardware.

All the platforms have their merits, and their fans and to each their own and I don't begrudge anyone for their choice. My goal is not to validate or invalidate anything, just to share my experience, learn a thing or two, and maybe help out a few folks while providing some good stories.

Thanks again, I love the CB community it's among the best I have ever been a part of and I hope I can give you something else to read when CB is slow.
    10-26-11 10:45 PM
    I think a year is a bit too long, but it's nice to see someone trying this out.
    jeffcrn likes this.
    10-26-11 10:50 PM
    @Skateman1972
    Also on the comment about iTunes, I know it is junk on the Windows platform, but on a Mac it's a whole different story. On top of that EVERY file I have encoded for iTunes plays perfectly on my PlayBook and my Bold. I won't even bother to get into the scripting and automation that are possible with the Mac.

I'd also like to mention that honestly, I have found a suitable replacement for almost every app I want, the exception being some Mac programs that had iOS syncing mobile versions, but that was to be expected and I knew that would be a challenge to overcome. In fact, i have gained functionality in a lot of areas (BeBuzz alone and the notification LED are one of my favorite show off items.)
    Alberta Blue likes this.
    10-26-11 10:54 PM
    I figured a year would be long enough to see some truly "Next Generation" products for the holiday season next year. On a personal level for me it's about sticking to a device for awhile instead of playing the ebay/craigslist loop with different devices. If the QNX handheld ( the Colt) makes it out in that time I'll have an upgrade or two to use.
    10-26-11 10:57 PM
    Just added your blogs RSS feed to my 9850, as a BB app developer I'm interested to see what you're missing app wise... will watch with interest!

Russ.
    jeffcrn and Chrisy like this.
    10-27-11 11:25 AM
    +1 for interest!

Can't wait to see how it goes and will be following your blog.

My environment is completely the opposite. The echo-system I have incorporates way too many brands. I have a Windows 7 laptop, with a blackberry smartphone and playbook and a iPhone 3GS media device (being used as an iPod basically). They all seem to work well together, probably because I am tech savy.

I need to get an android device still to complete my UN technology nation I have here...
    jeffcrn likes this.
    10-27-11 12:35 PM
    Good luck with this - I will be following your blog also.

As someone who tried BB as my first smart phone and fell in love with it I have never tried anything else so I am very interested to see someone who knows Apple inside and out do a real life comparison.

I look forward to reading your experiences.
    jeffcrn likes this.
    10-27-11 12:48 PM
    Gizmo good luck.....although I would love to see a Hardcore BB fan do the same and see what they say....let go of the BB and PB and get a Droid Bionic or Equivalent and a Android Tab or an iP4s with an Ipad2....
    jeffcrn and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-27-11 02:11 PM
    Interesting experiment GizmoJeff.

Best of luck and I hope you can find some of the finer points with RIM's products. Just don't pay too much attention to the few who happen to be the "loudest" on this boards and relentlessly bash rim.

Cheers!
    jeffcrn likes this.
    10-27-11 02:15 PM
    If anything I was an Apple Fan Boy, one of the mainpoints behind this was to perform the proverbial "walk a mile in someone's shoes." My iOS devices are a thing of the past now so I will make do or make a work around. Honestly though for all the banter about the lack of PlayBook Apps there are some damn good ones. All my quips to this point are minor.

Thanks for the feedback folks I appreciate it and I'd like to see this thread grow a bit.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-27-11 07:43 PM
    Good luck! I don't think you really could go wrong with a combination of a bold phone linked up with a Playbook.

With that said, as I have tried every brand out there save WebOS, I currently rather rock Android. Not to say it wont change again. Really hoping QNX delivers, but time tells all.

Subscribed!

jeffcrn likes this.
    10-27-11 08:55 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD