My workplace just started using an Exchange system. I'm not quite sure what that means, but they said that they are not paying the fee required to support a RIM device.

They support Android, Windows phones, and iPhones... no blackberry because apparently, blackberry is the only one to charge a fee.

My blackberry is on BIS.

So is there a workaround for me here? Am I screwed unless I'm willing to pay for some sort of special service?

I can get email easily with their system, but apparently won't be able to get a calendar sync to happen.

Any workarounds?
    09-06-11 04:17 PM
    BES Express is free, they just don't want to set it up because BlackBerry is the Devil
    09-06-11 04:28 PM
    So BES Express is not something I can put on my own blackberry, right?.... I need the company to install it on their end?
    09-06-11 04:36 PM
    BES Express is free and can be installed on any computer that is constantly running. If you have an old XP computer it should work on that or if you don't mind keeping your computer turned on. Or if the company was not so stubborn, they could install it on one of their servers.

As for your blackberry you would have a BES policy on it and could only do what the admin of the BES express set. If you have BES express installed on your own computer this won't be an issue because you will have total control over it.
    09-06-11 04:44 PM
    Ask your IT folks if you can access your work email via Outlook Web Access.

If you can, then you should be able to add the access to your BlackBerry on a BIS plan.

You will just need the access URL and the user name and password.
    09-06-11 05:21 PM
    BES Express would still need a way to connect to the company's MS Exchange so installing on the OP's PC won't work.

Make a case with the IT department and show them BESX. They already have MS Exchange running, which means they probably have over 80% of the work required to get BESX running done.

This might also help (I almost got a BESX going here when I noticed I would never be able to tap into Google's server :P): https://www.blackberry.com/blackberr...706c652e786d6c
    09-06-11 05:44 PM
    Ask your IT folks if you can access your work email via Outlook Web Access.

If you can, then you should be able to add the access to your BlackBerry on a BIS plan.

You will just need the access URL and the user name and password.
    I think the OP already does that (or knows it's possible) but cannot sync the other components like Calendar. BIS will not accomplish that.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-06-11 08:15 PM
    I sync my mail through Outlook Web Access. I run Google Calendar Sync on my desktop and sync from Outlook to Google, and then from Google to my 9780 using the BIS Google sync. I have a different Gmail account just to sync my work calendar to, and have a separate Gmail account for my personal calendar. I sync both and they both appear on my Blackberry in different colors. I keep my contacts on Google Contacts and sync them as well through BIS.

It's a bit of a kludge, but it it works well for me.

(I also use Remember the Milk and sync my tasks through MilkSync) The only thing that doesn't sync is memos. I didn't realize how really convoluted this was until I wrote this! LOL
    Last edited by 2ndHalfCor; 09-06-11 at 08:55 PM.
    09-06-11 08:52 PM
    My employer uses MSE and I cannot get OWA to work on my phone.
    09-06-11 10:36 PM
    Who really wants to get their work email on their personal phone anyway. If it was really that necessary your employer would either give you a phone or pay for BES.

I would rather not get inundated with work email when I am on my own time anyway.
    09-06-11 10:44 PM
    Well, the OP does.

Thought we were here to help, not pass judgment.
    09-06-11 11:27 PM
    Whose judging? Surely I'm entitled to an opinion too.
    09-06-11 11:28 PM
    That you are.
    09-06-11 11:42 PM
    If the above options will not work try making a redirect rule in outlook. You could sign up for another email address, like gmail, and have your email redirected to this new address. Don't forget to configure the gmail settings to have your response come from your work email address. If you need any assistance setting this up PM me and I will give you a hand. I used this method for years before I convinced my IT guy to install BESX. Good luck
    09-07-11 07:51 AM
    I can get email easily with their system, but apparently won't be able to get a calendar sync to happen.
    I hope all of you noticed this little bit of the OP.

This is not about email.
    09-07-11 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD