My Torch vs Bold 9780 vs iPhone 4 dilemma

Im gonna change my Bold 2, so basically im not sure what to buy. Could somebody help me on what would be the perfect phone 4 me.

-Browsing: A LOT
    -Texting: I don’t txt
    -Chat: BBM! 24/7
    -Phone calls: A lot
    -Games: not that much
    -Pictures: I love the white adjustment (fluorescent) option on my bold 9700 -and flash
    -Email: not at all
    -Fb, tweeter…: a lot
    -Size: I don’t care that much, but I love the form factor of the iphone and the 9780 they are very practical, I don’t know bout the torch.

What should I do?

EDIT: I TOTALLY LOVE MY BOLD 2, but i want to upgrade
    12-30-10 10:02 AM
    Well web browsing would make it i4 first and foremost... If ya BBM often then obviously the other 2.

Try out the torch I'd say... If ya browse and bbm lots then that might be the device for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    2jnc5 likes this.
    12-30-10 10:05 AM
    Whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend leaving BB. I'll admit, I have both the 9700 and the iPhone 4. I have the iPhone for a few reasons, the first being it's a good entertainment device, so I have all my music on there, I have my satellite radio application on there and a couple of useless games. So my iPhone is my 'entertainment phone'.

Moving to the 9700, it's my 'get stuff done' phone. The amount of emails that I get, and the push delivery of those emails is essential to my job. Add in BlackBerry messenger and the fact that it's one sexy looking device that has a physical keyboard to die for and to me you have a winning device.

If I had to chose between the two, I'd keep my BlackBerry hands down and ditch the iPhone. In fact, there are many days when I'll wake up and leave the iPhone on the charger and only take my BB with me.

When I'm phone shopping, it's always been "I must keep BlackBerry". So I recommend keeping with RIM and shopping within the product line of BB.
    2jnc5 likes this.
    12-30-10 10:30 AM
    Well web browsing would make it i4 first and foremost... If ya BBM often then obviously the other 2.

Try out the torch I'd say... If ya browse and bbm lots then that might be the device for you.

Good call. +1
    12-30-10 10:37 AM
    I like web browsing on the bb bold. It's not amazing but definitely still does the job.
    If I were you I would go for the bb torch since with the bigger screen web browsing should be great as long as your internet speed is good. You are on bbm all the time so may miss all that.

12-30-10 10:56 AM
    As a Torch owner, I love this phone, but I still wouldn't call it a great web surfing phone, lots of minor problems with the browser, and load times still are not hot.

I use bbm way way way more than web browsing so I don't care about the browser that much.

Ask your top 5 BBM contacts the following
    - do they use other instant messaging clients
    --- if so are they all on the same client so you don't need multipe clients
    - Do they have unlimited text messaging plans
    - Will the txt as regularly as BBM

If asked those questions I would answer
    - I have MSN on once or twice a week
    - yes I do
    - No, I forget to txt people all the time, status updates on bbm keep conversations current.

2jnc5 likes this.
    12-30-10 11:12 AM
    I have 9780,9800,iPhone4 and iPad..
    I use iPhone for when I go WC or wanna record a video
    I use iPad in front of TV while something flashes in my mind ask google or to play guitar hero..
    I use my 9800 for my get stuff done..and keep it in my pocket like my home key..
    I don't use my 9780 so much cuz I'm glassed and its screen looks so small after using 9800..
    As a result,
    BlackBerry is like your home key..if you forget it somewhere, you search it everywhere you've walked...

2jnc5 likes this.
    12-30-10 11:49 AM
    9800 it will be thx every1 4 the advices
    12-30-10 11:55 AM
    I have the same dilemma as I own the torch, 9780, and Iphone 4

I keep going back to the 9780 and the Iphone 4. Really, if it wasn't for the keyboard of the 9780, the iphone 4 is a great device. Because of the quality and quantity of the applications available it really is like having everything in your pocket. However, the 9780 gets my nod for BB over the torch simply because having owned many BB's the shortcut keys make it so user friendly and although I love the bigger screen of the torch to slide out the keyboard all the time to get to use the shortcuts is a little painful.

Having said this, you need BBM and best browsing, so you need to carry a BB and an Iphone
    01-21-11 05:26 AM
    Hands down iPhone 4!!! And i'm not even an Apple fanboi.

It does everything better with a nicer interface.

The only reason to stay with BB is for BBM, nothing else. the iPhone does delay emails by a few mins but that is forgivable IMO.

I've been in this boat a long time, before i made the decision to upgrade in november, i had went thru a couple of bolds [9000,9700, a curve 8900], and did not see the value in it anymore, as i do use the iPhone a lot for music and media, browsing and everything in general like GPS. Also the battery life is far superior to that of a blackberry 3G phone, i charge this thing once every 2 days, and i use it A LOT [ios 4.2.1 helped it big time]. whereas my Bolds' had to be charged daily as i was scared of risking not having a phone if i skipped a charge the night before.

Ive also used it for school stuff like looking over notes in class so that i don't even have to crack open the laptop as its in front of me.

With the recent disasters RIM's been releasing [all of my phones less ONE, had issues :S], i'd stay away and go to the 'darkside' as some RIM-humpers might call it.

GL with the decision! Keep us posted.
    01-21-11 02:49 PM
    Iphone is out of question since you like BBM, nothing comes close to that. Plus, the iphone doesn't have a phsyical keyboard, I bet you I can type at double the speed that any iPhone user can! Did I forget that the iphone has crappy battery and reception quality?

So now the choice is either 9780 or 9800

Having tested & used both devices, I must say the 9780 is the better device for ME. Now whether or not it's the better device for YOU, is well, up to YOU.
    The 9800 is a good device within itself. It's a combination of both touch & physical qwerty. The actual touch on the device is top-notch. As good & responsive as any other touch device on the market. The keyboard though, isn't very good at all. It's cramped, flat and gives next to no feeling compared to the 9780. The 9780 is the best, similar to that of the 9000. When you press a key, you feel like you're pressing something, there's a certain kind of feel. When you press a key on the 9800, it's like you're pressing the key into a brick wall. Which is understandable considering the ergonomics of said device.
    But overall daily tasks is where the 9780 excels. It's been optimized(2nd Gen) and is simply quicker. The 9800 has lots of information to process and a bigger screen. This is where the bigger screen isn't a positive. It slows the device down.
    Bottom line is both devices are good ones. It all comes down to personal preference and which device is best for you.
    01-21-11 03:31 PM
    There are better IM programs out there than BBM. Many of them. The advantage is they are cross platform and allow for talking with everybody, not just BB fans.

Then again, if you're a BBM addict, you may not like any of the other options.

Hard to say I guess. Try a different BB than the one you've got and see if that works for you. If not then try something else.
    01-21-11 04:36 PM
    If you browse more than BBM then I would say Torch. If you BBM more then I would say 9700. Why I say that is I really love the keyboard. The virtual keyboard takes up too much space of the input fields. It doesn't work well with its self. Meaning is txt starts getting trapped under the keyboard and you have to try to scroll and wierd stuff starts to happening or you have to hide the keyboard the get it back out. I would have tought that it would auto scroll while typeing.
    Aight one can say you have the keyboard on the torchm to use it you have to slide it out more times than not your likely to push it open while touching the screen opening up something. You then have to close it out then do what you want. A big deal not really.
    If you do half and half or close like 40/ 60% then the Torch hands down. I like the Browser in os6 much better and like the pinch zoom/shrink. I can zoom/shrink quickly to my desired size by touch.
    My handycap right now with my Torch is the switching between the virtual/true keyboard.I.E. I keep hitting the "m" for a period without hitting alt first you don't have to in virtual.

01-21-11 05:29 PM
    There are better IM programs out there than BBM. Many of them. The advantage is they are cross platform and allow for talking with everybody, not just BB fans.

Then again, if you're a BBM addict, you may not like any of the other options.

Hard to say I guess. Try a different BB than the one you've got and see if that works for you. If not then try something else.
    I have been really trying to like other IM programs since Christmas, 5 BBM friends moved to Android phones and since they are American txting isn't an affordable option, and I can say without even a hiccup, none of the programs, (LiveProfile, Whatsapp, Nimbuzz, gTalk, MSN) provide an equal experience to BBM, I can't put my finger on them, but all of them leave me wanting, and really I don't see keeping them much longer with the exception of MSN
    01-21-11 05:33 PM
    I have 9780,9800,iPhone4 and iPad..
    I use iPhone for when I go WC or wanna record a video
    I use iPad in front of TV while something flashes in my mind ask google or to play guitar hero..
    I use my 9800 for my get stuff done..and keep it in my pocket like my home key..
    I don't use my 9780 so much cuz I'm glassed and its screen looks so small after using 9800..
    As a result,
    BlackBerry is like your home key..if you forget it somewhere, you search it everywhere you've walked...

Sounds like you'd want a BB, that is at the same specs as an Iphone4 and yet featuring a physical keyboard and BBM and the little red light. Trust me, it would be an instant hit...seeing an exodus of from user from Apple immediately.
    01-21-11 07:26 PM
    Did I forget that the iphone has crappy battery and reception quality?
    Wrong. The battery on my iP4 has lasted a lot longer than my Storm2 ever did and no dropped calls either.

I have been really trying to like other IM programs since Christmas, 5 BBM friends moved to Android phones and since they are American txting isn't an affordable option, and I can say without even a hiccup, none of the programs, (LiveProfile, Whatsapp, Nimbuzz, gTalk, MSN) provide an equal experience to BBM, I can't put my finger on them, but all of them leave me wanting, and really I don't see keeping them much longer with the exception of MSN

You and your friends should try the free app PingChat, unless they're storm users, in which case its not supported. Thats how I stay connected to my BB friends. *just noticed you said your friends are using Androids, so their good to go*

To the OP, so far the iPhone4 is the best phone I've ever used, but since you you mention you use BBM a lot, therefore if you aren't able to convince your BB friends to use an alternative like PingChat, I suggest you stay with BB.
    Last edited by The Gift; 01-21-11 at 07:51 PM.
    01-21-11 07:46 PM
    Iphone 4! There are other IM programs you can use. I was an avid bb user, but since switching over to the iphone 4 I haven't been sorry or looked back.
    01-21-11 07:48 PM
    ^^ I approve of these two replies! lol

I have to agree though the other post about the bad battery and lack of reception is BS!!! I had multiple BB's where no one couldn't hear me when calling from my basement [both EDGE & 3G devices] but my iPhone gets reception no problem, get this - EVERY TIME! And my battery life would outlast my old blackberries two-fold, the Pearl 8100 being the exception to that rule though.
    01-21-11 08:45 PM
    I couldn't agree more. I have tried whatsapp, and have google and yahoo and they both don't come close to comparing. Yahoo is okay. I do use that more for cross-platform.

What BBM really holds over other IM chats is group chats. I have 3 that I am in and always posting in them. Really would miss that and other IM clients don't do that. Least I haven't found any that have.

01-22-11 08:05 AM
    Also Lol at iP4's out lasting BB's on batteries...I have had an iPhone, early one and I know battery life is better on new iPhone, but come on...something must have been wrong with your battery or the 9700 I have is just the exception as I have went as long as 3 days before a charge.

I would be charging half way through my day with my iPhone and or Androids. Had the Cliq and mytouch, both were horrible on battery life.

I can see the Storm series not being good on battery life and some other BB's with smaller mah batteries in them, but my 9700 is amazing on battery.

01-22-11 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD