Hi all,

I have been reading the threads here and want to share my thoughts on the criticisms in regards to e.g. Blackberry hardware being outdated, not enough software, screen size issue etc.

To begin with, I want to show you my journey on mobiles and the reasons behind.

I personally have used iphone 4, Android (HTC Desire), blackberry 9700 and 9780. I left 9700 for Desire. I still think it was the right decision at THAT time since the memory on 9700 was bad, and I was looking for a bigger screen.

But then I missed the keyboard so much that I got myself a 9780. Yet due to the key stuttering issue(which made me lost all the faith in RIM), I put it aside and got a iphone4.

The battery on iphone 4 was nowhere compare to 9780. The large amount of apps couldn't make up of the bad battery life. Also, I am actually not that into apps. I only use a fixed amount(same) of apps in all of them. Again, I missed the keyboard so badly; I gave 9780 another try. (Which was disappointing at first (see my other thread) but the issue is solved due to the OS updated.) Now I can't be happier.

ALL of my friends are either using iphone or android phone. Yes my bbm has never been used. So what? It is my money and it is me using the phone not them. For ME, keyboard is the most important thing. Then it is the battery life. And I like simplicity, I don't want to root my phone nor jailbreaking it. I just want to use a phone the way it supposes to be.
    Besides, Blackberry has all the apps I need. Whatsapp/msn/twitter/facebook are enough to keep me in touch with my friends.

What I am trying to say is it is YOUR mobile afterall. If you feel that it doesn't provide what you need, just leave since the TIMING is not right. Come back when it has everything you need. RIM will never be Google nor Apple and it should never be. I like it because it is Blackberry. Stop criticising, just enjoy your phone.
    Last edited by 32aHC; 03-11-12 at 10:35 AM.
    up488, shemaree09, Zirak and 1 others like this.
    03-11-12 09:33 AM
    Good. U just ridiculed the entire "fanboy" thing.
    Hatsoff
    03-11-12 09:53 AM
    I agree with you! People buy phones to suit their needs - just like they buy a car that suits their needs, or a TV; or anything else. Everyone is different; so one choice for someone else might not and would not be the same for someone else with different wants and needs. Maybe someone wants a lot of apps; so an Android would be the right choice. Or maybe someone wants wants a keyboard function - so BlackBerry and some Android phones would be an option. Or music - iPhone. It's your choice; and no one should ridicule you for making one that suits your needs.
    03-11-12 12:12 PM
    Agreed. I've had the following shmart-phones (yes shmart, I like typing with a German accent sometimes):
    Curve 8330
    Bold 9000, 9700, 9650, 9930
    Android: T-bolt, Galaxy Nexus 2
    I am on my Bold 9930 right now. Reasons? My own! I simply need a keyboard and all the talk of "getting used" to a touchscreen does not apply to thee.
    No problem, one would think, until one ventures into an internet forum and voila! You get verbally beaten and called dumb and/or uninformed for liking what you like.
    I've not come here to fight, rather to learn. I've learned that I can dream of a phone that can't yet be manufactured. One with a fantasticly large keyboard, like the 9930 and with some type of holograph or paper thin flexi-screen which pulls out from each side. I may die before I hold it in my hands. But I shant die holding a touch only device.
    03-11-12 09:21 PM
    Here in the Philippines, people is using BBM like MIRC and Yahoo chat 10 years ago... although HTC, Samsung, and Iphones are trending, Blackberry Phones are still fighting against the competition.

I just upgraded from Torch 9800 to 9810 simply because I want to have a touch screen phone and a keyboard for faster typing. Battery has also been an issue with smartphones but for my Torch, it stays for up to 8-15 long hours with camera, sms, podcasts, BBmusic, BBM, Facebook and sometimes taking videos. There is no other smartphone in the market that can give you this kind of battery.

I've been giving BB Tips on BBM almost everyday and I support users with Blackberry issues here in the Philippines as my own little way to keep Blackberry Community alive and running.
    03-11-12 09:42 PM
  6. T
    I don't ever want to "get used to" a touch screen.
    03-11-12 10:01 PM
    In my circle, about half people use bb, ip and android Overall the things my blackberry does, it does well. They all are mobile device, all are good in their own way but, i wouldn't give up mine up.
    03-11-12 10:04 PM
    Finally, some people with some sense! I am happy that there are people who love BlackBerry. I will never say iOS and Android and Windows Mobile aren't viable but they don't do it for everyone.

I had Motorola dumbphones until I got a free pink BlackBerry Curve 8330 (aka StrawBerry), and have been a CrackBerry addict ever since.

"Do what works for you" has been my motto for years. It still holds true. BlackBerry works for me.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-14-12 10:29 PM
    I think the criticisms against BlackBerry smartphones are valid. The screen sizes are smaller, the processors aren't as fast, the apps don't compare to Android or IOS, and the ecosystem isn't really there. What people don't emphasize enough is that some people like myself don't care about having a half million apps, or wanting to watch a movie or read a book on my phone, or play video games. What I like is that my phone lasts two days easy on a charge. I have the best messaging system in the business. The keyboard is so good that I don't need predictive type. Keyboard shortcuts makes my usage very efficient. It doesn't eat up a lot of data. BlackBerry smartphones definitely have shortcomings when compared to other devices on other platforms, but those shortcomings don't always matter to everyone.
    Last edited by dwaynewilliams; 03-15-12 at 09:32 AM.
    app_Developer and CairnsRock like this.
    03-14-12 11:51 PM
    I have been thinking about starting a thread similar to this, so I am glad I found it.
    I have been with blackberry since the 7100...I've had many bb phone since then, I honestly can't remember them all. From the many curves I had, to the tour,a few bolds, the storm for a day, and the torch. I did leave for a few months because my job at the time required nextel. I used the 7100 (before the nextel curve came out) and it didn't like the abuse I put it through, but then again it wasn't made for the line of work I was in. As soon as I left that job, back to bb I came. (Only away about 6 months) and boy did I miss it! I've been happy with bb for many years after that.

As someone a few posts above me said...I don't want to get used to an all touch screen phone. I want the keyboard. Sure, many androids have keyboards, but its not the same. I don't want to slide it out (hence why I'm getting the 9900). I don't want an all touch keyboard. I have used my torch onscreen keyboard only a small number of times, just to try to get myself to like it, and I don't. I love the bb beyboard. I love the layout of it, everything.

People I work with now ask me, "why are you still using blackberry, its a dumb phone!" And I list a few reasons why, and they say, but android and apple have so many more apps! If I wanted 50 fart apps, I'd have a toy phone like the iphone.
    I love the data compression, bbm, emails...everything. Blackberrys are NOT a "dumbphone". It does what I want. I use apps, and every app I could need is on app world. I love at the end of the day, most of their phones are dying, and mine is still good.

I don't know...blackberry is for me. Not iphone, not android, not windows phone, just blackberry. Blackberry is for me.

Solid. Reliable. Fast. Let's rock and roll this.

P.s. Let's see how long it takes someone on an all touch phone type THAT!
    03-15-12 12:15 AM
    Some people are more easily influenced than others. Friends who 'loved' their BlackBerrys now 'hates' them. It was serving them just fine but their sentiments changed due to the environment changing around them. I call it 'Phone envy'. And wanting more apps, despite only needing the essential few to do the essential tasks.

Fortunately, I'm stubborn and I hate following trends. Plus with the amount of IM-ing, emailing and social networking I do per day, it would be impossible to do it on a touchscreen.

Great post, OP. I agree almost completely. The only difference is, I never strayed because I always knew how important the keyboard is to me.
    03-15-12 12:39 AM
    Blackberries are my absolute preferred platform. It just does everything I want in the way I want it done. Other phones are nice, and I use them, but my go-to phone is my BB. As many as I've tried and used, and as much as I may like others, BB is best for me. If I had to have one phone, it would be a BB.
    As far as history...the first BB I used was through work and it was that ugly black or blue thing. Which was followed by the next blue or black thing, can't remember. Hated them, they were ugly. But they were for work, so no biggie. I then got the 8703 for work and that was when my love begun. I bought my first personal BB, the 8310.
    Subsequent work issued devices were the 8830, Tour, 8530, and current 9650.
    Personal, subsequent to the 8310, have been the 9000, the 9700, 9800, 9300, 9810, 9930, 9860 and the 9370.
    03-15-12 06:01 AM
    I just had a little rant myself about that yesterday... thanks for sharing some thoughts!

( http://forums.crackberry.com/general...forget-708814/ )
    03-15-12 06:34 AM
    I'm going to keep it simple.....I just like BlackBerry phones. (period). Nice intelligent thread,
    03-15-12 06:50 AM
    I take a middle position on this. I personally like the keyboard, but I've used Swype with Android and, after a short period of adjustment, found that I could get on pretty well with it. But it's the BB's auto-text, now called Word Substitution, that really makes it work for me. I know there are similar things for Android, but I found that they didn't work quite as well.

But I see my students typing away at warp speed on iPhones and Android phones and I realize that there is partly a generation effect here. They didn't "get used to" the touch screen; they simply learned it, use it well, and have no other expectations. So I do have a suspicion that keyboards will fade out as those of use who prefer them die off.

I'm old enough to remember when people complained that pushing buttons on a phone just "wasn't the same" as real dialing. And people had various reasons for why they preferred dial, such as having more time to consider whether they really wanted to place the call. We all know how that turned out.

But as far as that goes, RIM has already shown that they know how to make a good touchscreen device, so it's not really an issue.

I personally don't care to watch movies or TV on my phone. I don't even watch much TV on my TV! I do, however, read books on my phone all the time. And I listen to books and podcasts. So I regard those things as absolutely essential. Since I read a lot of nonfiction, and Kindle by far leads the pack in nonfiction offerings, having a Kindle app is non-negotiable for me. That's just a personal requirement, but it's a strong one.

So, my app requirements are fairly simple, but highly specific. If RIM can't mend the fence with Amazon and get a Kindle app onto BB10, I'll go elsewhere. Fortunately, the OS6 beta Kindle app works on my 9900, so I'm good to go, but I know it won't work in BB10. I'm sure others have similar very specific requirements, such as Pandora. I use Pandora, but I don't mind using Slacker or some other similar service, so it's not a big deal for me. Others, however, have built up a very elaborate personalized set of Pandora stations and they just don't want a device that lacks it.

The whole point about apps isn't for people to have hundreds of them on their phones, which most people aren't about to do. It's to have the ones that people want. That means having the popular ones, since their very popularity indicates that a lot of people want them. And as much as possible it means having specialty apps, such as ones that people in a certain line of work use.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    03-15-12 09:08 AM
    Thank you op for a sensible post in the forum. All that whining and comparing is becoming an eyesore. People used to come here to share their knowledge and seek for solutions in the problems they are facing. Now, many just whine and blame everything on RIM :/

People should just get a phone which suits their needs, not to mention doing a ton of research before getting a phone cause contracts usually last for years.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-15-12 09:28 AM
    i have black berry torch 9800 its awesome always prefer black berry as compare to iphones
    03-15-12 12:29 PM

But I see my students typing away at warp speed on iPhones and Android phones and I realize that there is partly a generation effect here. They didn't "get used to" the touch screen; they simply learned it, use it well, and have no other expectations.
    Exactly!!!!
    03-22-12 12:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD