Hello everyone, I am new to CrackBerry.com and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction to find an app that would stop the cell phone from working while driving.
    With all the publicity of government regulations against using the cell phone while driving I'm hoping that I can prevent her from getting herself in trouble.

If anyone knows of a good app out there that can prevent the use of the cell phone while driving can you please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
    09-29-09 02:45 PM
    Take it away for one month, see if that smartens the kid up.

As for an app, that's not entirely possible without the car being aware the phone is in there also. I think this would be a combo hardware/app solution. Not sure one exists yet.
    09-29-09 02:48 PM
    I think "disable usage while driving" is not possible, you will have to put a signal jammer or some crap like that inside the car O_o. However, there are apps that read out loud text messages, so she doesnt have to look at the screen. There was one recently on the front page. For calls, just buy her a bluetooth headset.
    09-29-09 02:48 PM
    tell her the 1st ticket she get the phone take a dip in water. That is what I would do, then if she wants another phone she can buy it herself. ticket=no phone
    09-29-09 02:49 PM
    Bluetooth headset. It wont stop them, but both hands will be on the wheel...
    09-29-09 02:50 PM
    You can do it at certain times.... Verizon has a way you can block certain times from texting and/or calling... So you can block times you KNOW they will be driving.... Such as before/after school?
    09-29-09 02:52 PM
    Install cell phone jammer in her car. Without her knowing of course.
    09-29-09 02:52 PM
    Get her to watch that video showing a car crash that was a PSA in england. Shock her into good behavior. Software and hardware solutions don't teach her about responsibility. Make her accountable for her own actions. We don't see that enough, we want someone else to solve it for us. Part of your responsibility as a parent is passing on responsibility to your children. It's not easy, but needs doing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 02:56 PM
    I'm unaware of an particular app that would allow this to happen. I don't think that there's an app out there that can differentiate between when she's driving, and when she isn't. I also don't know of any that allow you to disable her phone from operating while she's out and about.

I think it's going to awfully hard to keep a young girl (or boy) off of their phone while they're driving. What a kid says they'll do and what they'll actually do are to very different things. I know how I was when I was a kid my parents used to tell me not to talk while I drive, and I told them I wouldn't, but when I was in the car, I'd call people all the time.
    Have you thought about talking to her about limiting her cell use to times when she's not in the car? Also, toss out the idea of maybe a Bluetooth headset, or Car kit, which would allow her to use the phone (if absolutely needed) but also will keep her from having to hold a phone to her ear, which will give her to hands to drive with, and won't be hindered from looking and seeing what's going on.
    I'm sorry that I don't have better information for you, and I'm sure that the Bluetooth idea isn't the most attractive. Other than taking the phone from her when she leaves the house, there really is no way to completely block her from using it in the car if she so chooses. The best thing I can offer is to explain to her the dangers of using the phone while driving, and offer some half-way soloutions to make it safer for her if she does infact decide to make calls while on the road. Good luck, I certainly don't envy you...
    09-29-09 02:59 PM
    Install cell phone jammer in her car. Without her knowing of course.
    Then she would have an accident trying to figure out whats wrong!

I say just take the phone away. Or if you'd like her to keep the phone for emergencies and such, limit the usage. No texts, capped minutes, whatever you need to do to avoid a serious incident.

But there is not an app I know. It seems hypothetically possible, especially if the vehicle is bluetooth capable. That would be a good idea...
    09-29-09 03:01 PM
    I have been quilty of texting while driving but realized this morning on my way to work (when I almost swerved off the road while texting) that I have GOT TO STOP before I end up wrapping my car around a tree or killing myself or someone else. After today, I will never make that mistake again. I'm sure you've had the sex talk, drug talk and now it's time to have the cell phone talk. Using a cell phone while driving can be just as deadly as using drugs or having unprotected sex. Make him/her realize that not only could he/she get a ticket for using his/her cell phone while driving, he/she could get in a really bad accident possibly killing himself/herself or someone else.

I don't know about him/her but I'm not trying to learn the hard way!!
    Last edited by JuiceBBS; 09-29-09 at 03:12 PM.
    09-29-09 03:03 PM
    1) Yes show her the video that lordcliff above said..

2) You really need to talk to the kid that it's really not worth it if she got an accident or ticket. Tell her to pull over and use the phone if she really need to.

Please don't block the calls or dont put the sell phone jammer in the car because it will kill the purpose of having the cell phone in case of emergency like car broke down and stuff...

Just talk to the kid!!
    Last edited by stark4; 09-29-09 at 03:07 PM.
    09-29-09 03:03 PM
    Yes. It is called use it or lose it. Surprisingly they have it for tjhe car too. Works like this your teen uses the cell and car appropriately or he or she will lose the PRIVELEGE of both. Both are privegeles not rights. PM me for more details about the program.

09-29-09 03:04 PM
    *sigh* I would say be a parent and take her phone away if she insists on doing it and you know she's doing it. Then, I would also make sure you lead by example, and not use your phone in the car.

Not to be rude, but if you don't know how to stop it, do you really think she won't be able to get past an application (if you were to find one)?

And yes, a bluetooth is a great option as far as her making voice calls. But in all honesty, if she is a less experienced driver, she should just not be using her phone while driving at all.
    09-29-09 03:05 PM
    Yes. It is called use it or lose it. Surprisingly they have it for the car too. Works like this your teen uses the cell and car appropriately or he or she will lose the PRIVELEGE of both. Both are privegeles not rights. PM me for more details about the program.

BEST POST EVER.

09-29-09 03:06 PM
    Here's the PSA

Videos - Texting While Driving PSA - Zimbio

09-29-09 03:11 PM
    Its called the Parent app. Tell her not to use her phone while driving. If she gets a ticket, take the phone away. Easy as pie.

09-29-09 03:13 PM
    I'd suggest that more importantly than getting in trouble, she could get killed or kill someone else.

If you've already told her not to, and you know she's doing it anyway, it's past time the phone was taken away.

Sorry, as far as I know, there's no app for that.
    09-29-09 03:17 PM
    Thanks for your reply, and I know she's going to be trying to get past the application. I am just concerned about her safety ya know. So I'm thinking that if I go through the trouble to put and app on her phone to curtail it then for one she would know that I am concerned about it, and this would be in her mind. It's like putting a dog in the yard, at least it is a deterrent.
    09-29-09 03:23 PM
    We have an application that we published this morning (should be available here tomorrow) that does turn off cell phones while driving for GPS enabled Blackberry. There is a free version called SpeedTracker Basic. It only works on GSM networks (such as AT&T and TMobile) right now, but we will have versions working on Sprint and Verizon soon. Let us know if this helps.
    09-29-09 03:29 PM
    you're trying to stop a teenage girl from using the phone? My god have mercy on your soul
    09-29-09 03:33 PM
    Yes. It is called use it or lose it. Surprisingly they have it for tjhe car too. Works like this your teen uses the cell and car appropriately or he or she will lose the PRIVELEGE of both. Both are privegeles not rights. PM me for more details about the program.

Sounds like a great program to me. I will be using that one when my daughter is old enough to drive but then again I may not have to depending how much technology has advanced by then. She is only 20 months old.
    09-29-09 03:33 PM
    Here's the PSA

Videos - Texting While Driving PSA - Zimbio

Despite the cartoonish gore sounds, the first one was pretty effective.

The last two made me laugh though, not effective at all.
    09-29-09 03:37 PM
    Thanks speedtracker, I'll check out the free version when she gets home today and see if I can make a non confrontational attempt at installing this app and getting her to use it.

Can you give me some more info on how it works? BewitchedWitch21 made a good point that she might try to get past the application.... my little angel
    09-29-09 03:38 PM
    Thanks speedtracker, I'll check out the free version when she gets home today and see if I can make a non confrontational attempt at installing this app and getting her to use it.

Can you give me some more info on how it works? BewitchedWitch21 made a good point that she might try to get past the application.... my little angel
    You do realize that you are the parent, right? You're allowed to be confrontational... In fact, in this case, it's highly warranted.
    09-29-09 03:44 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD