I have been a Blackberry user for over 5 years and must say when they were making technical strides it was a great ride. Ive ended up converting all of my friends and family on to blackberrys and everyone is happy. For now.

I cant help feeling after looking at the new lineup set to be released in June that there really has been no more progression in the last 2 years. The last sizeable bit of a change was dropping the trackball.

I seem to be peering in to the world of the Iphone more and more these days and can quite honestly say the only thing holding me to the Blackberry is BBM 100%.

Apple seems to really stretch themselves when it comes to releasing a new product. RIM seems to be happy with releasing products that are almost identical but slighly thinner or with a slightly better screen and making a big deal about it?

I seem to be finding more and more Apps (personal banking, media control etc etc its a long list) that are available on the Iphone but not on the Blackberry and its annoying.

I'm not a fanboy of either to be honest I just want the best device I can get my hands on that will be useful to me. The Blackberry browser is truly awfull compared to the Iphone (ive done many download shootouts with friends running older Iphone 3's who put my Blackberry 9700 to shame with download speed)

Is anyone else feeling in a similar situation? Im stuck between all the pros and cons of each device (the only 2 pros for the blackberry these days are the physical keyboard and the BBM) I think after a few days I'd be used to the touch keyboard (I hope)
    05-13-11 12:46 PM
    I can understand your frustrations and I think most of us empathize. I think that there is a good number of people who feel your pain.

I think it's a fair statement to say that RIM is playing catch up and they aren't moving fast enough (in my opinion.) They have the potential to create the best phones (IMO) but they are making a lot of questionable moves as well as the lag in releases.

I think it's a wait and see situation.
    05-13-11 12:57 PM
    Everyone is different I suppose. To me the apps available on iOS are not useful. I had an iphone and other than showing people it, I hated the device.

I missed the physical keyboard, and battery life of a bb.

I don't like itunes, and I have always disliked macs (liked the ipod though).

Now that's not to say bb is a clear winner for me. I wish it had more horse power, and I wish the browser was better.

Having said that, I am sure the new 7.0 devices will move in that direction. The only problem is when they are released other phones will be even faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 07:09 PM
    Apple will always have the most app support.

Single device, no real fragmentation, and their ecosystem will demand apps because you cannot control the ecosystem if people are using the browser instead of apps. So they will push apps for everything.

If that's what you care about, then switch. Android support won't even be as good, because even if they have the same apps (which they don't have all of them and don't necessarily get it first) they have massive fragmentation problems.

That said, virtual keyboards blow and I like almost everything better on my Torch than my TB other than the processor speed and LTE.

I also don't use more apps on Android than I did on BB and have just as much of a problem finding apps that I would actually want to use, not just download to try out. Most.... apps... suck. Doesn't matter what platform you are on.
    05-13-11 07:56 PM
    Yea the keyboard is one of my biggest worry's. I use the phone a lot and I've tried the Iphone 4 and quite often write complete crap without meaning to.

What do you think of the new BB line-up coming soon ? (I was pretty disappointed if I'm honest) I know everyone loved the old bold but I'm pretty surprised that they are bringing out another device based around the same size. Its seems like another rehash with a few perks instead of moving forwards.
    05-14-11 07:42 AM
    Its a full qwerty, candy bar form with a touchscreen. What more do you want out of a candy bar form factor? If you really think about it every iphone is just a refresh also, same block form with a touchscreen and one physical button.

When you make a candy bar, full qwerty style phones there's not much you can do to make it new on the outside(its a square block with a screen and keyboard), but what you do on the inside is a different story.
    john_v, Ferretling and areola3 like this.
    05-14-11 08:55 AM
    Other than the browser.....i dont see the love affair with the iphone , they have more apps i agree but 70 percent of them are useless and the battery life is awful I need a device thats reliable with communication whether its for work or personal and to date i dont see anything on the market that will give me that other than blackberry ...im not here to bash anybody but these postings with rim is not progressing fast enough are getting comical...bottom line is if you dont like it dont buy it.....i just think the comparison thing has been beaten to death...
    05-14-11 08:59 AM
    I agree & feel your pain BB has falling behind the other phone's have bigger screen's , faster cpu , way better Browser , more memory, apps I fine all that I want in the BB app world , a person can't use but some many apps. BB is loosing market share because they did not keep up with the other phone makers they seemed to think people would be happy with old hardware & there stock has come down from 150.00 a share to 48.00 a share so that should be a wake up call to them. BB has some good thing's the keyboard , good batery life , stable os most of the time. BB needs to get new phones to market faster or they will keep looseing market share.

05-14-11 09:21 AM
    I think I'm qualified to speak to this subject. My phone track record is as follows:

Palm>WM>BB>iphone>BB>Android>BB (current)

Notice the trend? Always come back to blackberry. Now it's not that way for everyone. In fact the other day at work I had someone ask me, "You've had BB and iphone; which one would you recommend, and which do you like better?" (Everyone at work knows I'm a junkie so I get asked this all the time) My answer to his first questions (what do you recommend) was this: "What are you going to do the most, and what do you want most out of your phone? If it's media and web, iphone. If it's lots of calls and messaging, BB."

See, the key is not which platform is better; I've tried them all, they all have their pros and cons. I can't stand here and say X platform is better than Y platform. I can say that iphone offers more apps and better web; Android offers more customization, and if you are a google user (like I am) the google sync/ecosystem is second to none.

But what keeps me coming back to BB is form factor, battery life, and the strengths of the BB os. Those things are not going to appeal to everyone. That's why there are multiple platforms.

So my advice is this; test,test, test. In my foray's into other platforms, I found it usually took 2.5 months before I ended up wanting my BB back. See if a friend will swap with you for a week; or if you have a little cash, see what you can pick up on craigslist.

But you really need to ask yourself, what am I using my phone for the most? What do I want out of it? Then go from there. And don't fall for the lie that you must be dumb because you decide to stick with BB. I don't care if my phone can get xx.xx upload/download speed, or if I can have widgets out the wazoo, or if the web browser is all this and that. My personal needs are a phone first, messaging second, small amount of web third( and my Bold does that just fine).

Real quick, let me speak to the apps...are there some really cool apps on ios and android? Absolutely. My line of thinking is this...I've got my Bold for the above mentioned needs. When $$ allows it, I'm going playbook. Then I can run the android apps I liked from my android days, and do the web browsing that I can't do on my phone (which is not as much as I thought it would be when I bought my Android.)

So lots of info here, lots of rambling, as Crackberry Kevin called it in another thread, lots of Passion! Bottom line - what do you need your phone to do? Be secure in the person you are, not what your phone is!
    Last edited by john_v; 05-14-11 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Spaced for better readability
    05-14-11 09:22 AM
  10. T
    these postings with rim is not progressing fast enough are getting comical...bottom line is if you dont like it dont buy it.....i just think the comparison thing has been beaten to death...
    Exactly. I'm abundantly pleased with BlackBerry. The only comparison with the other platforms I'll make is in saying that I hope BlackBerry NEVER becomes like iPhone or Android; those platforms have NOTHING I want or need.

05-14-11 09:24 AM
    I seem to be finding more and more Apps (personal banking, media control etc etc its a long list) that are available on the Iphone but not on the Blackberry and its annoying.
    On that you are not alone however I prefer everything on my BB to either Android or iPhone except app availability.

I like the push notifications, I like the battery life, I like the choice of having a phyiscal keyboard, I like the way I have always been able to hold my phone in either hand I chose and still have signal without the need for a case!

However, the apps ......

ECB have an iPhone app, Android and OVI app but no BB app.

Tweetdeck have an iPhone and Android app and have publically stated they have no intention of developing a BB app.

Facebook app on iPhone and Android outstrips even the beta Facebook app. Even the FB 2 beta app doesn't include FB page admin support nor support for FB groups, both of which are included in iOS and Android apps.

Sky TV app doesn't seem to support OS 6 devices but still they manage to develop for iPhone and Android.

I haven't found a Wi-Fi traffic analysis app for the BB yet these are easily findable for the iOS and Android.

I am not bashing the Blackberry device because I feel the device and OS is second to none for my requirements. I want my emails straight away, I accept I can't file them and must keep them in the inbox. I want my FB notifications straight away, I want my Twitter notifications straight away and the BB does that for me. However I do somethings get frustrated at the lack of availability of or in comparison poor quality of available apps for the device.

To me the apps available on iOS are not useful.
    Not necessarily true. There are some awful apps for iPhone and Android that I wonder why they were ever developed but a lot of the iOS and Android apps that are useful way outstrip their BB counterparts.

Take the examples above, all useful apps but just nowhere near as good on the BB as their iOS or Android counterparts.

Single device, no real fragmentation
    That line single device, no real fragmentation is probably the key. Look at the BBs available, so many screen sizes and resolutions, touch or non touch screen, trackpad or trackball (people are still using those older devices)

It's a tough thing developing for so many different phones plus so many different OS versions around. Some phones in use are probably still on OS4, then there's various phones on OS5 and more on OS6 as well as OS7 now being developed so look how many different OS versions there are to develop for.

That said though there's no excuses. RIM chose to go down the route of so many handset choices running so many different OS versions so need to entice app developers to develop if they want to retain creditability as a consumer phone.

Having said that, I am sure the new 7.0 devices will move in that direction. The only problem is when they are released other phones will be even faster.
    To me RIM err on the side of caution of out and out innovation in their devices. OS6 had the ability to take greater steps forward than it did but they played safe to their stronger corporate market by retaining familiarity.

As I said above I'm not bashing BB at all but just expressing the shortcomings that some people don't see from behind the rose tinted specs or are afraid to admit.

Six months ago I upgraded from the BB 9700 which at the time was running OS6 to the Torch running OS6. I knew what I was getting into and had the choice of continuing to accept the shortcomings in app development for the strong points.

RIM's strong points are strong as strong can be but both RIM themselves and app developers need to keep pace with everyone else in the market if they want to continue to be taken seriously as a consumer phone device as well as just a business phone device.
    05-14-11 09:46 AM
    Be secure in the person you are, not what your phone is!
    Excellent advice!
    john_v likes this.
    05-14-11 02:32 PM
    i have been on both sides, i had a blackberry three years ago and liked, but not loved it, so i got an htc desire. Its a great phone with similar specs and apps to an iphone but i can say from experience that for me it wa just too much flash crap that worked ok and not enough phone, if that makes sence. I will not even go into battery life which make these type of phones almost unusable.
    Now im typing this on an iPad so i use iTunes and the app store and honestly 90percent of the stuff is utterly useless. Thats why im typing this on an iPad as my computer and i gave my desire to the wife and my phone is an new 9780, oh how i missed a phone that does what it should, now i have one again.

iPhones are for so called cool people who have minis and live in lofts, blackberry is the thinking persons mobile.
    05-14-11 02:46 PM

Single device, no real fragmentation, and their ecosystem will demand apps because you cannot control the ecosystem if people are using the browser instead of apps. So they will push apps for everything.

If that's what you care about, then switch. Android support won't even be as good, because even if they have the same apps (which they don't have all of them and don't necessarily get it first) they have massive fragmentation problems.

That said, virtual keyboards blow and I like almost everything better on my Torch than my TB other than the processor speed and LTE.

I also don't use more apps on Android than I did on BB and have just as much of a problem finding apps that I would actually want to use, not just download to try out. Most.... apps... suck. Doesn't matter what platform you are on.
    You could probably pick up a 9650 on craigslist and sell the TB and comeout ontop. You better hurry because we all know there is a Android phone coming out by the minute and the TB will be worthless
    05-14-11 05:29 PM
    iPhones are for so called cool people who have minis and live in lofts, blackberry is the thinking persons mobile.
    This kind of thing is completely unnecessary. Enjoy what you have, but there's absolutely no reason to put anyone else down. Not every iPhone user is a hipster, and not every BlackBerry user is a "thinking" person. Some might say your post proves this

john_v likes this.
    05-14-11 07:32 PM

The biggest reason I own a BB is because I also think virtual keyboards suck even on the iphone so got myself a Torch. I have some disappointment in Blackberry but don't feel liked being attacked again for having an opinion I will leave it alone. enjoy your BB or iphone.

cheers
    05-14-11 08:27 PM
    I understand and empathize with the OP.

3 Things that I totally love about my Blackberry:

1. Keyboard -- no phone company has done any better
    2. Messaging -- Amazing display of messages and features
    3. The fact that a lot of people are leaving Blackberry makes me love my Blackberry even more!
    05-14-11 10:18 PM
    There are a surprising number of neat things my BB can do that my Iphone 4 can't.

• travel app
    • unified messaging
    • protect - with wifi backups
    • wifi music sync
    • better voice integration imo
    • social feeds with rss (love that app)
    • lots of nice 1st party apps IMO

IMO the overall experience is on iPhone is so much better. Smoother, friendlier, much more refined as a computing device (web surfing and high quality 3rd party app support).

I find that I hardly ever use more than the phone/web and messaging features of my iPhone 4, so the BB is a great alternative. I've searched high/low for a messaging app on iPhone that rival BB and there isn't one.

All the BB hate has me cheering for the underdog and picking up a cheap BB for myself to try out (first a 9800 and now a 9700). If I can get some of the quirky bugs on my device sorted out (mail setup update app keeps soft bricking my phone), I'll probably switch to BB permanently and sell the iPhone 4 (yeah, resale value!).
    05-14-11 10:38 PM
    Its a full qwerty, candy bar form with a touchscreen. What more do you want out of a candy bar form factor? If you really think about it every iphone is just a refresh also, same block form with a touchscreen and one physical button.

When you make a candy bar, full qwerty style phones there's not much you can do to make it new on the outside(its a square block with a screen and keyboard), but what you do on the inside is a different story.
    I need a physical keyboard vs a touchscreen..I tried practicing on a Ipod touch and it is not the same....What I need from BlackBerry is a more powerful brower....They can keep the form factor and keyboard........I'm happy with it, just do something with the brower...........
    05-15-11 12:37 AM
    It all depends on the people. I am happy with RIM because they are giving me devices that cover all my needs. I don't need all these games and such on my phone. I have a Torch now, I like the choice of using the touch screen and the physical keyboard.

I have tried an iPhone and was just not happy, I find all they are, are just glorified toys. The apps for iPhone have no real purpose to me other than to kill time, and I have lexicons and Sudoku for that on my BB.

But like I said, each person is looking for something different and even though you have been a BB user for years, you needs may have changed. No body can say you're wrong for that.
    05-15-11 08:27 AM
    Might want to hold out just a bit longer and check out the new 9900/9930 Bold devices. Should be very fast devices by the specs and those that have had "hands on" say so. RIM has never been known for great web browsers on phones, but I would say this phone will be the first BB where the hardware is not a bottleneck for the browser performance. Webkit, fast hardware.. should be pretty good.

As for apps, I do not think that is going to change unless RIM starts to gain marketshare in the consumer space again. Then there's the whole QNX transition that will create some uncertainty for those making new apps.
    05-15-11 08:44 AM
    A couple of people mentioned this already, but to echo it....

Hit up CL and buy a used Apple phone, test it out for a few weeks and in that due time you should know what you like better....might take a little longer or a little less, just depends.

Sell/keep do whatever with the other phone, but at least you will know what works best for you....

I have had quite a few phones from BB(Several), Apple(Original and a 3G's for a short while.) And many Androids....and always come back to BB candy-bar form factors as I love my physical KB and battery life....and honestly the browser isn't that bad. I can deal with 5-8 seconds slower, however what I do miss a lot is screen real estate, but these new phones coming out look killer.

Test, test and test some more....actually all us diehards do anyway, lol!

Good luck, it is a sickness!
    05-16-11 12:18 AM
    I like the push notifications, I like the battery life, I like the choice of having a phyiscal keyboard.
    I agree on the battery life and keyboard but the iPhone supports push notifications and so do Android phones. Push email hasn't been a Blackberry exclusive for years. I had push email on my PalmOS Treo back in 2006.
    05-16-11 11:20 AM
    Everyone is different I suppose. To me the apps available on iOS are not useful. I had an iphone and other than showing people it, I hated the device.
    There are around 350,000 apps available for iOS. Hard to beleive that anyone would not be able to find some useful apps in such a large catalog.
    05-16-11 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD