Before I post this, I just want to make it clear in no way shape or form that I'm running down crackberry, any posters, and RIM... I'm not about that...

For the past several months, I have been contemplating purchasing a BlackBerry Curve.. My cell phone contract is up (US Cell) and my Moto razr won't hold a charge for more than 5 minutes. My thought process why buy a $40.00 battery when phones are in the $100.00 range.. After seeing numerous ads on tv my enthusiasm really skyrocketed.

So then I go to a few us cell places and look at this device and say, wow, this is really cool.. There is a ton of stuff that I can do with this thing... Well like 10 days ago, I was ready to buy this device and I happened onto this site (which is awesome by the way) and I started lurking on the 83xx site DIH, thats the phone I want to get, the general Blackberry forum and a few other sub forums within CrackBerry.. One of the first things I said to myself, was OMG this is freaking nuts...

Anyways I said, I want the challenge of learning this device so I joined the CB community.. And started posting questions like anyone would.. To be honest, the more I posted, the more I checked out the entire forum the more frustrating I got.... From memory optimization, deleting .xml vendor files, backing up 3rd party apps the list goes on and on... In my continued reading, I would see posts like, I bricked my blackberry during an os update, my phone do this ot that,my phone was working fine until fill in the blank, the list goes on and on.. And I'm thinking why? Why bother with this, who needs the hassle.

I sat down and thought out loud to myself ( Yeah, was talking to myself) Why would I need this phone... And I thought and thought.

1. I'm an assembly line person and every job comes down the line every 45 seconds.. So there is no way I can use it at work.. Come lunch (30 mins) I clean up, eat, and talk to my wife... We work 10 hour shifts, I get to bed at 4am.. Wake up at noon, do my chores, exercise, go on the net and back to work

2. Most places we travel to have wifi, so we just bring out laptop with us and most of the time we do travel, we are out of us cell 'sEVDO and as you know, browsing the internet can be quite slow if not on 3g OR EVDO

3. I do run so if I get a sms or email, that would be fun trying to respond back OR browse a mobi site. Same thing could be said when I walk my dog (purebred siberian husky) How do I send an email or sms with one hand? Very difficult

4. So in the end, why pay $25.00 + tax for something I would hardly use? Mind you I'm thinking of reasons to buy and use this thing and I cannot for the life of me (in my case) think of a valid reason...

5. I have been posting on Packer message boards here for 10 years + so I know how message boards work.. Doesn't mean I have to like them.. So anyways, I would post a question..Typical response, use the search engine...Or a poster would link you to another thread that is anywheres from 10 to 50 plus pages long and I could be on page 20 before I find the answer... If you think about it, most everything on this board or with the bb is search able...

In the end, the BB is one cool, sexy device, but given my circumstances, I came to the conclusion why? And with that, a huge burden was lifted....

"R"
    02-02-09 02:26 PM
    Well, to each his own...keep in mind that BlackBerrys are electronic devices, and therefore, problems DO arise. However, the problems that come about can usually be resolved properly.

You have to keep one thing in mind: what do you want to use a phone for? Do you need constant access to your e-mail, keep up with appointments, use the instant messenger, keep notes for yourself...or do you just need to make phone calls and send out occasional text messages and do some occasional browsing? Ever since I've started using a BlackBerry, it has made everything a big convienence for me, and I'll never go back to a regular phone.

So with that being said, enjoy whatever phone you choose to get
    02-02-09 02:33 PM
    I think there is a largish group of CB'rs (though a small percentage of the 678,000+ registered members of CB) that love fooling around with their BB's. Upgrading the OS, adding and removing apps, themes, playing music, videos, Facebook, MySpace, you name it. There are only about 2000 members with 100 or more posts, so you can see that this small group of power users accounts for the majority of traffic here.

While it seems like there are many Help Me threads, I think these are more casual users who encounter a problem and come to the greatest assemblage of BlackBerry users on the planet to get help.

I think you've evaluated your situation and come up with the best solution.

BTW, if you phone battery is dead and your up for a plan renewal, I get a new free phone (or one that's cheaper than a new battery) and save the rest of the money for a tailgate next year.
    02-02-09 03:54 PM

BTW, if you phone battery is dead and your up for a plan renewal, I get a new free phone (or one that's cheaper than a new battery) and save the rest of the money for a tailgate next year.
    Lets use tailgates, as I am a season ticket holder and go to all the games Packer side, row 8, near the 50
    02-02-09 04:15 PM
    Packer fan? Oh my. GO BEARS!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 03:45 AM
    Keep in mind the general population will not create a thread to say how well their phone is working with no issues. What you see here is a very small percentage of users that are having a problem and need help to get back on track. If it looks like BlackBerries are a huge problem they really aren't.
    02-03-09 04:31 AM
    Well it's not for everyone. Most of us that fool around with our BBs are tech geeks. And most of the time you see users complaining about issues, it's really just a case of them not know what they're doing. I understand that that can overwhelm you, and I'm not trying to talk you into getting a BB, but you sort of immersed yourself into the crackberry world without even owning one which is even more overwhelming and not really fair. If you're still on the fence, give it a chance. You had good vibes about the phone and it sounds like you talked yourself out of it without even trying it. Again, it's not for everyone, but it doesn't hurt to try it out.
    02-03-09 04:51 AM
    Sounds like you thought things out and made a good decision for yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 05:14 AM
    [QUOTE=flipn0tic;1571667 You had good vibes about the phone and it sounds like you talked yourself out of it without even trying it. Again, it's not for everyone, but it doesn't hurt to try it out.[/QUOTE]

I still have good vibes about the phone... But I cannot justify purchasing the phone and paying the $25.00 + tax per month data charge... I would be paying for something I would very rarely use..... Like I said, I'm usually home, at work, or at a place that has wifi and in that case. I bring my laptop...
    02-03-09 06:43 AM
    I think you have some valid reasons for putting off a BB purchase. At the same time, I know that when I got my BB, the way I used my phone completely changed.

Blackberries are made to take advantage of the little moments between things. You can check e-mail quickly, send a response back if needed. You don't have to stop what you are doing just to check on things - it onlytakes a quick moment to check.

If you like the phone, and the way it works, then things like deleting the vendor.xml file, bricking, and soem of the more technical threads on here really won't apply. It's mostly the people who want to try beta versions of the OS, or are doing some other tweaks to them that those threads apply.

Using the BB, adding a few applications, being able to communicate quickly, those are things that most BB users do on a daily basis. You shouldn't have any problems with those.

I'm on USCC as well. I don't know if they are still doing the promotion, but USCC was doing free battery exchanges right before Christmas. You might want to see if they are still doing that. You could get a free battery and give yourself more time to decide on the 8330.
    02-03-09 08:10 AM
    people say that part of the purpose of having a phone like this is to be able to download apps, themes....etc

i have never messed with the phone, and every BB i've owned (3) have worked flawlessly.

since you are looking to get a cell phone anyway, why not get a BB simply because of it's organizational offerings?
    02-03-09 08:20 AM
    I think you have some valid reasons for putting off a BB purchase. At the same time, I know that when I got my BB, the way I used my phone completely changed.

Blackberries are made to take advantage of the little moments between things. You can check e-mail quickly, send a response back if needed. You don't have to stop what you are doing just to check on things - it onlytakes a quick moment to check.

If you like the phone, and the way it works, then things like deleting the vendor.xml file, bricking, and soem of the more technical threads on here really won't apply. It's mostly the people who want to try beta versions of the OS, or are doing some other tweaks to them that those threads apply.

Using the BB, adding a few applications, being able to communicate quickly, those are things that most BB users do on a daily basis. You shouldn't have any problems with those.

I'm on USCC as well. I don't know if they are still doing the promotion, but USCC was doing free battery exchanges right before Christmas. You might want to see if they are still doing that. You could get a free battery and give yourself more time to decide on the 8330.
    Xopher,

It's about the data charge, I have a fundamental problem with paying for something I would seldom use.... I'm usually home, I have use to a desktop and a laptop so why bother using the bb?...

My work is intense, I have zero time to use the phone (I could in an emergency yes) I for the life of me wouldn't be using my bb while driving other than receiving or making a call... I have an ipod for running, so why use the bb music player? No reason to.. I was at the grocery store the other day, I can't see myself browsing the net there or sending an email.

Most places that we go to have wifi, and in that case, I bring the laptop and do all what I need on that vs a small phone.. In terms of GPS, I have the top of the line Garmin, I don't need a gps on my phone....
    02-03-09 08:25 AM
    I still have good vibes about the phone... But I cannot justify purchasing the phone and paying the $25.00 + tax per month data charge... I would be paying for something I would very rarely use..... Like I said, I'm usually home, at work, or at a place that has wifi and in that case. I bring my laptop...
    Well...like I've previously stated, it's all about how you're gonna use the phone. And while you have good vibes about it, you say that you carry your laptop everywhere you go. And since BlackBerry is meant to be like a mini-computer, you probably are better off getting a regular phone that you're not gonna do anything with except make phone calls. Just an honest opinion.
    02-03-09 09:25 AM
    And since BlackBerry is meant to be like a mini-computer, you probably are better off getting a regular phone that you're not gonna do anything with except make phone calls. Just an honest opinion.
    B I N G O we have a winner..... Only thing I would like to add LiLUnique, I don't bring the laptop everywhere I go
    02-03-09 09:38 AM
    Hey to each his own, BB's arent for everyone but i will say that your life will change once you own one. Granted i understand your reasons for not getting one but i think you would end up using it alot more than you think. Now if you dont want to pay for data then IMO theres no point in owning a BB. But i wouldnt judge it by reading a small amount of posts about people bricking there devices or having problems updating. What you dont see are the successful stories and what not. There are tons and tons of members who update all the time and have 0 problems. But like i said to each his own, maybe in the future you will rethink the situation and possibly come join us in our addiction.
    02-03-09 09:46 AM
    B I N G O we have a winner..... Only thing I would like to add LiLUnique, I don't bring the laptop everywhere I go
    I'm sure you don't bring it to the Packer games for example. Go Eagles!!!! Anyways sounds like you are on the right track.
    02-03-09 09:48 AM
    LOL...well at least you understand what I'm saying. Good luck with whatever phone you're gonna get.
    02-03-09 09:55 AM
    Hey Vortec,

One thing you can do is try it for 14 or 30 days, however long the try out period for your phone might be. See if you like it and are willing to pay the extra for it. If not them you get rid of it. The big thing about this phone is that you can use the idle time between appointments and what not to get caught up on stuff.

Actually is spend more time on these forums chatting and helping people than I would have before i purchased a BB. Made LOTS of new friends as well.

Good Luck in whatever you may choose!!
    Clint
    02-03-09 10:06 AM
    I'm sure you don't bring it to the Packer games for example. Go Eagles!!!! Anyways sounds like you are on the right track.
    Sure, I would bring the BB to Packer games why wouldn't I? We have great tailgate parties and for the most part, thats the only time we get together...So we talk smart, have some great food, beers and bloody mary's.. I'm going to interact with my friends, not go to my little corner of our tailgate party and instant message, browse the net, send an email, or sms...

Inside Lambeau, I'm there to watch the game, not send text messages.. I get live updates on the jumbo tron so no need there... On my way home, I get all the scores on my radio and all the stats.. I'm certainly not going to go on my BlackBerry in my Silverado and send texts nor am I going to pull over on the side of the road either..

By the way.. I do like B DAWK and as a philly fan, you should know who I'm talking about.
    02-03-09 10:22 AM
    Sure, I would bring the BB to Packer games why wouldn't I? We have great tailgate parties and for the most part, thats the only time we get together...So we talk smart, have some great food, beers and bloody mary's.. I'm going to interact with my friends, not go to my little corner of our tailgate party and instant message, browse the net, send an email, or sms...

Inside Lambeau, I'm there to watch the game, not send text messages.. I get live updates on the jumbo tron so no need there... On my way home, I get all the scores on my radio and all the stats.. I'm certainly not going to go on my BlackBerry in my Silverado and send texts nor am I going to pull over on the side of the road either..

By the way.. I do like B DAWK and as a philly fan, you should know who I'm talking about.
    Look y'all...he ain't getting no BlackBerry. Let him be.
    02-03-09 10:29 AM
    Hey Vortec,

One thing you can do is try it for 14 or 30 days

Clint

US Cell has that option... But given what I said, I would rarely use the data plan... Bottom line I would be paying for a service I would hardly use....
    02-03-09 10:30 AM

I meant the laptop, BUT maybe you could use it at the tailgate for checking stats and listening to music (radio is better), just don't bring it in to Lambeau. Of course I know B Dawk, he one of my favorite players. I was a bit of a Farve fan too, was sorta hoping he could have won the SB last year then retired with grace. Ah well.
    Last edited by pkcable; 02-03-09 at 10:48 AM.
    02-03-09 10:34 AM
    Look y'all...he ain't getting no BlackBerry. Let him be.
    You know LiLUnique, it's obvious that I have not met you (DUH) but I'm liking you ....
    02-03-09 10:45 AM
    You know LiLUnique, it's obvious that I have not met you (DUH) but I'm liking you ....
    Thank you...just call it like I see it, tell it like it is
    02-03-09 10:49 AM
    I meant the laptop, BUT maybe you could use it at the tailgate for checking stats and listening to music (radio is better), just don't bring it in to Lambeau.
    1. I'm there to interact with my friends not to be on my laptop or bb... We don't get together that much, so its our time to catch up with each other..
    02-03-09 10:51 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD