First off, let me apologize for my non-techy language in regards to phones. Some of the features on my wife's IPhone 3GS are awesome. I've come to realize that they cannot be put into my Bold 9000 because they were not there when the phone was built. You cannot get into the phone "deep enough" to put them there. That being said, i still wouldn't give up my Bold for an IPhone. Control is the key word here, and RIM needs to keep a certain amount of control to provide a quality product to it's customers. Building your own phone with a new OS, or hybrid OS can only go so far. Embedded data, if that's the right term, is in there for life. What it would take to break down the phone and redo it on your own, would not be cost effective. anyway, thanks for posting my tirade, and i'm sticking with BB.
    10-09-10 11:17 AM
    I am confused.
    10-09-10 05:07 PM
    Okay.....
    10-09-10 05:19 PM
    What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?!
    10-09-10 06:03 PM
    what you talkin' 'bout, willis?!
    +10000000!!!
    10-09-10 07:26 PM
    You are either too drunk too be typing or I am not drunk enough to
    comprehend that ginormous run on paragraph. Either way, I'm lost.
    10-09-10 08:18 PM
    Did I stumble into another universe?
    10-09-10 08:23 PM
    @OP: Actually, you can dig MUCH deeper into the BB OS than you can even think about on an iPhone. That is one of the main attractions of BB for many of us. You've got it 180 degrees out of phase.

iPhone is great for many things, but customizing and tinkering with the innards isn't one of them.
    10-09-10 10:49 PM
    I'm going to guess too drunk...
    10-09-10 11:20 PM
    What the deuce!

Finkle is Einhorn-----Einhorn is Finkle!!!
    10-10-10 12:25 AM
    I love my 9700!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 05:56 AM
    Apologies to all. Lots of frustration+too much Irish Whiskey(my drug of choise) led me to the computer. Will exercise more control in the future. Slainte!
    10-10-10 10:57 AM
    Apologies to all. Lots of frustration+too much Irish Whiskey(my drug of choise) led me to the computer. Will exercise more control in the future. Slainte!
    You are forgiven only if you explain your original post, because that wasn't just drunk speak, as I talk that fluently. So, please translate what you meant.
    10-10-10 10:59 AM
    You are forgiven only if you explain your original post, because that wasn't just drunk speak, as I talk that fluently. So, please translate what you meant.
    O.K. I was trying to get some of the features from an IPhone on to my Bold 9000. My son, who has an IPhone, is a Techy for Brighthouse, and very savy with all phones. After trial and error, he said that what i want can't be done with a BB that is made for the U.S. Only a European, and for sure a U.K. model that is unlocked, should do it. There is no hybrid OS in the world that could add the features that i want, if the BB is MADE FOR THE U.S. Hence my frustration.
    10-10-10 11:32 AM
    Agreed, all will be forgiven if you explain. I drank some Irish Whiskey to help me understand and it didn't help.
    10-10-10 11:35 AM
    O.K. I was trying to get some of the features from an IPhone on to my Bold 9000. My son, who has an IPhone, is a Techy for Brighthouse, and very savy with all phones. After trial and error, he said that what i want can't be done with a BB that is made for the U.S. Only a European, and for sure a U.K. model that is unlocked, should do it. There is no hybrid OS in the world that could add the features that i want, if the BB is MADE FOR THE U.S. Hence my frustration.
    I am still missing the point.... what features are you wanting to see on your phone that the iphone has? I hope you aren't trying to make the bold a touchscreen like the iphone and if so... yes that feature will never happen, lol!
    10-10-10 11:40 AM
    Ok, that makes more sense then. What sort of features were you trying for? What European models have those features, or the capability of installing such features?
    10-10-10 11:40 AM
    First off, i need to change the day/date set-up(what the IPhone calls region format). This will allow the date on the phone to be shown in military style(yes i am retired military). Today is...Sunday 10 October, NOT Sunday October 10. I would also like their compass app, which is perfect for my hiking and biking. Let's start with those for now.
    10-10-10 11:58 AM
    I know its easy to change almost any device to 24 hour format. I'm sure you can change the date format to military format as well.
    10-10-10 12:11 PM
    You can change the time to 24hr and i did that the day i bought the phone, but you cannot change the date format on a BB that is made for the U.S. I've spoken to a friend in the U.K., and his BB has that option, but it is not unlocked. He said that if it was unlocked and i put my AT&T sim card into it, it still might revert to U.S. format. Very frustrating
    10-10-10 12:23 PM
    You can change the time to 24hr and i did that the day i bought the phone, but you cannot change the date format on a BB that is made for the U.S. I've spoken to a friend in the U.K., and his BB has that option, but it is not unlocked. He said that if it was unlocked and i put my AT&T sim card into it, it still might revert to U.S. format. Very frustrating
    Get thee in contact with some of the forum's custom theme makers, who I suspect can make you a theme that displays the date format like you want.

The compass, well, that would be harder since the BB doesn't have hardware like the accelerometers/position sensors like iphone or the droids have. Edited to add: many compass apps on many gps devices even work off the gps position, but require you to be moving at least a mph or two to be able to get your real direction.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-10-10 at 12:32 PM.
    10-10-10 12:29 PM
    Tried that. Even downloaded a theme that was made in the U.K. for BB users in the U.K. It immediately switched to U.S. format. My son says that IPhones are more "user friendly" and BB's are more business oriented. For that very reason, all BB's should be able to change world formats. I'm not giving up, because i love my 9000!
    10-10-10 12:43 PM
    I do not think the date format has anything to do with whether the device is from the US or from Europe. I think it depends upon the carrier one uses. AT&T uses the date format that is the standard convention in the US. I suspect that if one has an unlocked AT&T device and goes to Europe and gets BIS in Europe, along with a European SIM, that the date would be displayed as is the convention in Europe.

I agree with the_sandman_454 that a theme would be the best solution for the date issue.
    10-10-10 12:45 PM
    Tried that. Even downloaded a theme that was made in the U.K. for BB users in the U.K. It immediately switched to U.S. format. My son says that IPhones are more "user friendly" and BB's are more business oriented. For that very reason, all BB's should be able to change world formats. I'm not giving up, because i love my 9000!
    The problem you encountered with that theme iss it is just set up to display the date how the carrier/device wants it. A custom theme forces it to display a certain way, and talking with a theme builder will give you a difinitive yes/no on what you want to do.
    10-10-10 12:50 PM
    I have no idea if this would be of any help or not with the date format. RIM Device Java Library: Class DateFormat
    10-10-10 12:52 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD