I hate when things freeze up or stop working correctly on my phone. As we all know, that means a battery pull is needed.

A battery pull is supposed to get everything back working in tip-top form.
    For me that's not the issue

After a battery pull my phone is slow as molasses for at least 5 minutes or more.
    That comes to around 10 minutes before my phone starts to behave the way it should after rebooting. 5 mins to reboot + 5 minutes for things to clear up = 10 minutes

That's a long time to be without a phone, or not being able to make a phone call. I'd hate for an emergency situation to arise during that time.

After a battery pull my phone is constantly transferring data back and forth.
    During that time I can barely navigate the phone. When I say slow, I mean slooooowwww!!!! It started a few months ago. Before then, I didn't have this issue. I'm constantly clearing my Event Log and Memory, as well as Browser cache. I've wiped my device several times and reinstalled the OS. Nothing seems to help.

I'm not sure if it's a phone issue, RIM issue, or a Verizon issue. Verizon has been pushing a lot of crap to our phones lately. I can't tell if they keep trying to push or send updates every time I reboot.

This is getting very frustrating. I'm willing to upgrade ASAP if a newer model BlackBerry on Verizon won't have this same issue. If not, this is driving me to the point where I would strongly consider Android or some other platform.
    It's just that bad.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
    06-05-10 10:18 AM
    No, no issues for me. Different model, carrier and OS package of course.

What you describe sounds like cache rebuilding, all of the cached data that was saved has been dumped and must be rebuilt to optimize performance.

The real issue is, why do you feel the need to pull the battery in the first place? Most BlackBerry users go weeks at a time without pulling the battery.

If your free memory is more then 5 Mb, let the Sun Java Operating system manage your memory.
    06-05-10 10:29 AM
    The Curve 8330 is a slow device compared to the newer ones. You have 96 mb of app memory, while the newer devices have 256 or 528. If you have a bunch of apps on your 8330 you may be really low in the app memory area, which will cause the phone to lag and run slow. I don't think you will see the same issue with a newer one. I have a Bold 9000 and it does take 2-3 minutes to reboot but within a minute of starting up it is running like new.
    06-05-10 10:29 AM
    No, no issues for me. Different model, carrier and OS package of course.

What you describe sounds like cache rebuilding, all of the cached data that was saved has been dumped and must be rebuilt to optimize performance.

The real issue is, why do you feel the need to pull the battery in the first place? Most BlackBerry users go weeks at a time without pulling the battery.

If your free memory is more then 5 Mb, let the Sun Java Operating system manage your memory.
    I usually have to do a battery pull because of things freezing up. The other day I was using the camera. It would not close or anything.
    I'm always afraid to use the Video Camera. It seems to always hang or freeze.
    Not too long ago I was changing the notifications under my profiles and it froze.
    I rarely had to do battery pulls before. It's all too common now.
    I have about 30 MB after a battery pull. It usually drops to around 17 MB or 18 MB throughout the day.
    06-05-10 10:38 AM
    I usually have to do a battery pull because of things freezing up. The other day I was using the camera. It would not close or anything.
    I'm always afraid to use the Video Camera. It seems to always hang or freeze.
    Not too long ago I was changing the notifications under my profiles and it froze.
    I rarely had to do battery pulls before. It's all too common now.
    I have about 30 MB after a battery pull. It usually drops to around 17 MB or 18 MB throughout the day.
    Interesting, I use my camera/video camera regularly and never experience a freeze up. You are saving to a media card, capacity should not be an issue.

When you refer to changing profiles, I presume you were using BlackBerry Messenger. I have noted some strange occurrences myself, but never actually froze out the Sun Java VM.

The Red End call button should pass control to the VM executive and let you kill the funky thread with Switch Application.

The other condition, where the Hour Glass indicates a high priority thread has has demanded the undivided attention of the software.... it will come back to normal by itself.

However, BlackBerry software can be divided into two groups: Carrier approved and test pilots. Which group do you fall into?
    06-05-10 10:54 AM
    Have you tried a new OS? Not sure what is out there for the 8330 but that might help you out.
    06-05-10 10:57 AM
    Interesting, I use my camera/video camera regularly and never experience a freeze up. You are saving to a media card, capacity should not be an issue.

When you refer to changing profiles, I presume you were using BlackBerry Messenger. I have noted some strange occurrences myself, but never actually froze out the Sun Java VM.

The Red End call button should pass control to the VM executive and let you kill the funky thread with Switch Application.

The other condition, where the Hour Glass indicates a high priority thread has has demanded the undivided attention of the software.... it will come back to normal by itself.

However, BlackBerry software can be divided into two groups: Carrier approved and test pilots. Which group do you fall into?

It froze today when I was trying to edit a notification tone for an Email. I opened up my Profiles, went to Advanced, then proceeded to edit the Profile. I chose one of the tones for that particular Email. I was able to hear the different sounds I could choose from. Then all of a sudden I could no longer hear anything. I exited out of the Profile management. I opened an MP3 file just to be curious if sound on my device was still working. A pop up box came up saying something about the media app is already in use. Can't quite remember what exactly it said. Then my phone froze.
    I'm currently the most recent approved OS build from Verizon's site.
    I have ran leaked version in the past with no problems, but since the problems started to arise I decided to go with a true build. I was hoping the official build would clear things up, but it hasn't.
    06-05-10 11:02 AM
    Have you tried a new OS? Not sure what is out there for the 8330 but that might help you out.
    I've tried at least 6 different OS builds. 3 from other carriers, 1 hybrid, and 2 official.
    06-05-10 11:06 AM
    What apps do you have running in the background? Twitter, Facebook, Viigo? Any of those will drain memory and cause lags if they are not closed properly.
    06-05-10 11:35 AM
    What apps do you have running in the background? Twitter, Facebook, Viigo? Any of those will drain memory and cause lags if they are not closed properly.
    What puzzles me is that it does it with and without 3rd party apps.
    I've removed every app from my phone. I went into Applications and deleted everything I could, except for the 5 or 6 core apps that you're unable to delete.
    It still does it. No themes. Just plain Jane vanilla.
    I'm at a lost at this point. I would expect this to be an issue with a newbie. I've been using this phone for several years with no issues. That's why I'm wondering is it the stuff that Verizon is constantly pushing to my phone as of late. Stuff like Slacker, Skype, Backup Assistant, NFL Mobile, etc. I've hidden the icons and didn't install any of them.
    I'm at a lost at this point
    06-05-10 11:41 AM
    The carrier-pushed launchers do not use any significant amount of memory. So if they are hidden and not used, they would not affect your memory.
    06-05-10 11:44 AM
    The carrier-pushed launchers do not use any significant amount of memory. So if they are hidden and not used, they would not affect your memory.
    That's true, but I'm not sure if Verizon pushes info to see if I have the apps installed, and to push info on whether or not they needed updating.
    That probably makes not sense. I'm just throwing out stuff because I've tried everything I could think of.
    06-05-10 11:46 AM
    It still does it. No themes. Just plain Jane vanilla.
    Good work, you have used the tools available to full advantage.

Oh, those profiles....

06-05-10 11:52 AM
    That's true, but I'm not sure if Verizon pushes info to see if I have the apps installed, and to push info on whether or not they needed updating.
    That probably makes not sense. I'm just throwing out stuff because I've tried everything I could think of.
    Have you tried the tips in this thread?
    06-05-10 11:55 AM
    Have you tried the tips in this thread?
    Oh yes. I've used that page many times in learning what bare essentials I needed to install in order to preserve memory space.
    06-05-10 12:12 PM
    Now my crazy phone has gone to a whole new level!
    I've wiped everything clean and started over.
    Reinstalled the most recent OS by Verizon.
    I ran the Setup Wizard. I've done this numerous times before after installing a fresh new OS, so it's nothing new to me. Recent my service books. yada yada

I've even customized it a bit. Disabled Dial from Home Screen, chose the BlackBerry L Theme. Created some folders to store apps in.
    Here's the thing. My phone will not save any of these setting to save it's life.
    After a reboot all of my settings are lost and it's asking me to run the Setup Wizard as if it's coming off of a fresh install.
    What is going on??????
    06-05-10 12:42 PM
    My phone will not save any of these setting to save it's life.
    That is something I have never encountered. The setting database is corrupted somehow.

Have you tried making a backup before your reset? That might reveal issues in the database.
    06-05-10 01:01 PM
    That is something I have never encountered. The setting database is corrupted somehow.

Have you tried making a backup before your reset? That might reveal issues in the database.
    After installing at least 1 3rd party app, it hasn't done it again.
    That's a first for me too. I've never experienced anything like that before.
    06-05-10 01:18 PM
    I went in and deleted all but 2 of my calendar service books for my Email accounts. Not sure it would make a difference or not. Since I pretty much use only one Email account for my calendar entries, might as well get rid of the rest that's taking up space. I only need the other accounts for Email only.
    After a reboot I was able to navigate around my phone while the data transfer signal was in use. It wasn't super fast, but better than before.
    I also deleted the Verizon service books for the apps they're pushing before the reboot. After a reboot they pushed them right back to my phone. Uggghhh!!!!
    06-05-10 01:24 PM
    After a reboot they pushed them right back to my phone. Uggghhh!!!!
    Oh yea, we know all about that.

The workaround is, create a new folder and move the links into the folder. Hide the folder. That will keep them from coming back, at least, until the next set are pushed.

Glad to hear it getting better, at least back to usable while we sort out the rest of the issues.
    06-05-10 01:31 PM
    Oh yea, we know all about that.

The workaround is, create a new folder and move the links into the folder. Hide the folder. That will keep them from coming back, at least, until the next set are pushed.

Glad to hear it getting better, at least back to usable while we sort out the rest of the issues.
    Thanks!
    That's usually the way I go about it. I just keep them in a separate unused folder. I deleted the service book for them and thought I was doing something. I visited the Service Book section later, only to find out they were pushed back to my device. I'll just keep the icons hidden as usual.
    06-05-10 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD