I had some free time today and decided to go the AT&T store to play with the OS7 devices: Torch (white and silver), Bold, and just for grins, Curve. My upgrade isn't until March, and I haven't decided whether I'll go for the Bold or Torch, so I wanted to see how they felt in the hand. Anyway, I'll just cut right to the Opera Mini shootout.

Both the Bold and Torch (silver) were on HSPA with all apps closed except for the default ones. I typed in crackberry.com and press enter on both devices. The Torch loaded the website at "normal" speeds while the Bold really lagged. I thought it was a fluke and tried it again. Same result. I also tried CB's sister site, iMore, and the results were the same.

The issue didn't seem to be the connection speed but rather Opera itself on the Bold. I don't know what other settings were in place with each phone, so I don't know what other factors contributed to the difference in one device loading the page much faster.

I did the same with white Torch and did a similar test, and much like the Bold, it was also very slow in loading Crackberry as compared to the silver Torch. I was very much confused with the results. Just to add to it, the Curve loaded Crackberry just fine. It did not sputter like the Bold or the white Torch.

A question for the Bold and white Torch owners: does Opera run slow on your device?

Other observations not related to the shootout.

* keyboard on the white Torch is mushy like the 9700 not clicky like the silver Torch. However, the 4 action keys (call, BB, back, end call) on the white Torch didn't seem quite as easy to press compared to the silver.

* the touchscreen on the Torches seem more sensitive than the Bold. "Clicking" on the touchscreen for the Bold needed a slightly firmer press.

EDIT:
    The virtual keyboard options in Opera only seem to full qwerty and multitap. I didn't see an option of Surepress. Is there one Opera?
    Last edited by cbfan123; 01-15-12 at 06:20 PM.
    01-15-12 05:46 PM
    You installed opera on the store's devices? Kinda wierd experament wouldn't you say? Did you have to clear the caches and history? That's the best reasons why my browser slows down.
    I have to ask why opera and not the native browser? To answer your question(sorta), opera works the same on all my devices. To make it a fair trial I used the opera browser on my 9700, 9800, and 9860 on wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-12 09:56 PM
    You installed opera on the store's devices? Kinda wierd experament wouldn't you say? Did you have to clear the caches and history? That's the best reasons why my browser slows down.
    I have to ask why opera and not the native browser? To answer your question(sorta), opera works the same on all my devices. To make it a fair trial I used the opera browser on my 9700, 9800, and 9860 on wifi.

I cleared the Opera caches on all devices.

The reason I tested with Opera is because I use it as my main browser on my 9700 running OS5, and wanted to know how Opera ran on the new devices. The native browser is much improved on OS7, but the shortcuts on Opera makes sense to me. For example, pressing * and up trackpad opens a new tab, * and down trackpad close tab, etc.

Whether the devices are on wi-fi or on 3G/4G, the comparison should for the most part work the same as all the devices were using the same source. With the Bold and the Torches having the same internal specs and the same OS, how each device reacted to Opera going to crackberry varied dramatically. Even between the silver and white Torches, the time it took in how they pulled up CB were so different for essentially the same device. I find the results really strange.

01-16-12 05:06 AM
    Are they running on the same os 7.xxx,and did you try loading other side?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 05:54 AM
    I cleared the Opera caches on all devices.

The reason I tested with Opera is because I use it as my main browser on my 9700 running OS5, and wanted to know how Opera ran on the new devices. The native browser is much improved on OS7, but the shortcuts on Opera makes sense to me. For example, pressing * and up trackpad opens a new tab, * and down trackpad close tab, etc.

Whether the devices are on wi-fi or on 3G/4G, the comparison should for the most part work the same as all the devices were using the same source. With the Bold and the Torches having the same internal specs and the same OS, how each device reacted to Opera going to crackberry varied dramatically. Even between the silver and white Torches, the time it took in how they pulled up CB were so different for essentially the same device. I find the results really strange.

If you installed opera on the devices then there was no cache to clear. My browser wither its opera or native when I slow down clearing history and system cache speed me back up.
    No wifi is different than being on 3g/4g. Your always limited by th bandwith of your connection. 3g/4g is very unsteady at any given time. To really see how a browser acts take it out on wifi. The connection is steady. It keeps the same speed etc. Well unless your at a coffee shop at prime time.

01-16-12 12:00 PM
    If you installed opera on the devices then there was no cache to clear. My browser wither its opera or native when I slow down clearing history and system cache speed me back up.
    No wifi is different than being on 3g/4g. Your always limited by th bandwith of your connection. 3g/4g is very unsteady at any given time. To really see how a browser acts take it out on wifi. The connection is steady. It keeps the same speed etc. Well unless your at a coffee shop at prime time.

But at that point you're introducing another unknown variable: how does the device's cell radio perform off of WiFi. Some phones simply have better radios or radio firmware in them than others, and that's an important thing to test in a smartphone - especially if you use it to browse the internet or access data services a lot.

In a perfect world, both should be tested because that applies to WiFi as well...
    01-16-12 01:33 PM
    Are they running on the same os 7.xxx,and did you try loading other side?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I'm not certain but can I am assuming the two Torches are using the same OS. Bold is probably be different though. I will check on OS of the Curve as well as it also loaded CB faster than the white Torch and the Bold.

01-16-12 02:02 PM
    But at that point you're introducing another unknown variable: how does the device's cell radio perform off of WiFi. Some phones simply have better radios or radio firmware in them than others, and that's an important thing to test in a smartphone - especially if you use it to browse the internet or access data services a lot.

In a perfect world, both should be tested because that applies to WiFi as well...
    Does these phones not have the same radios?
    None the less this is just factor that explains what I'm saying. If there was a difference it would have also been shown on the blackberry browser also.

01-16-12 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD