I just upgraded from 7100 to 8120 - yes, I am few years behind, but it is OK with me.

Now, my house has a Wifi, we use it a lot. Linksys router (b), DSL via Verizon - you got the picture.

My 8120 will successfully connect to the Wifi, including IP address - but the internet via browser can not be accessed and pings either PC -> BB or BB -> PC expire out. The browser error message says: "Unable to find the requested server"

To start troubleshooting I stopped at Paneras and Borders and in both places the BB found the network, logged into it and never allowed any surfing. The message says

Yesterday I stopped at a friends house, and I was able to log in a network of some of their neighbor(they live in a cul-de-sac) and get to the internet just fine. It showed just one bar of a signal, but it was reasonably fast.

Aside from stealing somebody's bandwidth - which is bad - I am not sure what the conclusion should be. I am inclined to believe that the only network I was able to hook up to was Wifi(g), but in that case the Paneras and Borders experience does not make sense. Since I was able to hook up to some network, my phone setting is OK.

Advice, anybody? And no, I am not ready to go knocking on the door of the whole cul-de-sac yet and ask about their Wifi network setup

Happy New Year, btw.
    Last edited by Prokop; 12-31-10 at 06:48 AM.
    12-31-10 06:08 AM
    And the saga continues. I was able to connect and surf the internet in local Starbucks At Chick-file the BB connected, but the browser returned and error - different one than before. This is gonna be one interesting research.
    01-02-11 11:55 AM
    Same town, different Starbucks, this one does not connect. LOL! Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot?
    01-05-11 07:51 AM
    184 views, nobody has anything to say

Tested Best Buy today, lightning fast connection, everything worked perfectly.
    01-06-11 11:44 AM
    Logged in public school network and finally figured out my home network. All it needs is this:

After I find the network and log into it I have to click on Wi-Fi Hotspot Login. Thats all it takes to be able to use the (b) network in my home. I didn't try it sooner, because the comments for that button says:

Many Wi-Fi "hotspots" require registration (e.g. Credit card)

Which I considered irrelevant since it is my own home network.

Anyway, all is good, I use my BB at home now as a quick check on email and weather and such.

THANK YOU! guys, I could never do it without your support and advice! Thanks!
    01-12-11 09:43 AM
    Glad it worked and you figured it out. A lot of times I do not answer if I have nothing to say, and that's why people might view but not answer to your post.
    01-12-11 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD