I finally took the plunge and got my first BB. I had tried an android a couple months back and didnt like it so much. Yeah it had much to offer but I didnt like the fact that I had to micro manage applications as well as the fact that their was so much bloatware on it. The dang thing was a data hog. Not a good thing if you dont want unlimited data or its not offered.(most of the major carries wont have it soon)

I decided I wanted to get a BB. The form factor is much easier to use with one hand than a touchscreen as well as the fact that RIM is somewhat more secure than android platforms.

I decided on the Curve 8530 from Metro pcs for now. Reason?? Im awaiting the newer Blackberries to come out this summer.(hopefully tmobile) I wanted the 9780 that Tmo currently carries, but with the persistant keyboard stutter that seems to be on dozens of them, I reluctantly decided to wait. But I will tell you for $60 a month its a great deal. Metro doesnt have true 3g but the wifi works great on the phone and since I dont play with my phone constantly it is perfect for me.(non wifi access is a little slow but dooable) Great phone to help me get accustomed to BB. Loving it so far.

I also am surprised that the native browser on the phone isnt that bad. Overall very pleased with it and after the story I heard about the android app market being attacked by a round of viruses. Im more than confident I will stick with BB for a long time.
    Last edited by Tony1988; 03-05-11 at 01:29 PM.
    03-04-11 09:26 PM
    Androids aren't for everybody, but neither are BB's or iPhones. For a 'mid-level' phone, the Curves are really nice. My first BB was a Curve 8310 and that hooked me on them. I still think their keyboards are among the best out there. They're easy as anything to operate, and they do what they do exceedingly well. Glad you found one that works for you, and welcome to the BB family!
    03-04-11 10:54 PM
    Congrats on the new 8530!! The Curve is nice entry level device. A couple of years ago I had a Curve 8330 which was replaced by the 8530. That was a real workhorse that I still have as a backup. Welcome to Blackberry!
    03-04-11 11:33 PM
    Me too! Took the plung myself and I have never been happier. I am a former iphone user amd I just got bored with it. I tried the aria before I got my 8520 for a couple week and the battery on it was f#cking horrible. Now I own the Torch and this is probably the best phone I have ever owned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-11 02:29 AM
    Welcome to the BB family. We have two Curves in our house and both are much loved. Great phones. The Torch is another wonder. And some of the rumored devices look even better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-11 05:34 AM
    Welcome to the BB world.
    I became a BB user/abuser about 3 weeks ago now and also own the Curve 8530. Great phone!
    I have a $60/mo unlimited everything BB plan as well, through Boost.Great price I think ,and compared to what most are paying I'm very happy.
    03-05-11 09:13 AM
    My first BB was a Curve 8310 and that hooked me on them. I still think their keyboards are among the best out there. They're easy as anything to operate, and they do what they do exceedingly well. Glad you found one that works for you, and welcome to the BB family!
    +1

My situation as well, got the 8310 as my first and that got me half-hooked...had a few different phones after and then came back to BB when I got my Torch a week or so ago, and this time it's hooked me 100%. I'll be staying with BB now, it does everything I need it to and more.
    03-05-11 01:17 PM
    Androids aren't for everybody, but neither are BB's or iPhones. For a 'mid-level' phone, the Curves are really nice. My first BB was a Curve 8310 and that hooked me on them. I still think their keyboards are among the best out there. They're easy as anything to operate, and they do what they do exceedingly well. Glad you found one that works for you, and welcome to the BB family!
    Yeah Android isnt for everyone. I really did like it. I had no problem using it at all but again the micro management it requires put me off. I dont like to stay tied to my phone all day long. I have enough stuff to do on my computer.
    03-05-11 01:31 PM
    Yeah Android isnt for everyone. I really did like it. I had no problem using it at all but again the micro management it requires put me off. I dont like to stay tied to my phone all day long. I have enough stuff to do on my computer.
    I don't own an android device but what is this "micro management" you're talking about?
    03-05-11 03:07 PM
    I don't own an android device but what is this "micro management" you're talking about?
    A couple of things. I had a droid incredible from Verizon. I started out with the 150 mb plan. The phones had a bunch of boatware that would continually start up so I was always shutting them down.(got a task killer but that still used up data) Not only was I continually monitoring apps for data but also battery life. Almost all Android phones are notorious for short battery lifes.(especially htc's) I ended up using just over 150mb without even realy enjoying the phones features that much. I should have gotten unlimited data. Theres just no way you can have 150mb on an android without having to constantly check hourly on its data usage.

In comparison, I dont have to worry about my BB and its apps and battery life is much better than on an android. So far for me anyways it has been a much more enjoyable experience. Both are great formats but I much prefer BB. Android has more "toys" but BB has more than enough to keep one interested.
    Last edited by Tony1988; 03-05-11 at 06:36 PM.
    03-05-11 06:10 PM
    Welcome to the addiction known as BlackBerry. I started with a Pearl 8100, then moved to the iPhone which was fun at first, but was lacking after 9 months and after it died on me (wouldn't even turn on) I decided to give it up and go back to BlackBerry and now I'm loving the Torch.
    03-05-11 06:20 PM
    Welcome to Blackberry. The forums can be a great place to learn more about your 8530. If you are in the mood to argue the forums offer that as well.
    03-05-11 06:33 PM
    Welcome to Blackberry. The forums can be a great place to learn more about your 8530. If you are in the mood to argue the forums offer that as well.

A good argue can be fun every once in awhile.
    03-05-11 06:35 PM
    Welcome to the madness

I started with a Curve 8310, tried the iPhone (wife has it now), got the Storm 9550, and now I've got the Bold 9780 (no keyboard problems).

I'm really liking the 9780. I have not experienced any stutter, and the OS has been flawless too. Currently using 6.0.0.480
    Can't wait to pair it up with a PlayBook.
    03-05-11 10:22 PM
    Welcome to the party
    03-06-11 01:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD