six years android has been out there and when my father just started using it, he says it feels like android is a college kids project or something comparing it to BB10 that he's been seeing on my Z10 since last year...XD

And I think my father's words described the real difference between the two OSs...i feel the same way now...

Share any of your experiences like these...

Posted via CB10
    moegh, pystha, eu gene and 6 others like this.
    06-08-14 11:54 AM
    six years android has been out there and when my father just started using it, he says it feels like android is a college kids project or something comparing it to BB10 that he's been seeing on my Z10 since last year...XD

And I think my father's words described the real difference between the two OSs...i feel the same way now...

Posted via CB10
    He must have a really really old Android to be saying That

Or a generic non major branded phone specially since Android and Ios has alot more functions th�n bb10
    Like panaromic Camera to 3d photo editing video editing etc
    Not to mention chromecast and the ecosystem That bbry can only dream of

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Rolf Hed and senel like this.
    06-08-14 12:23 PM

Or a generic non major branded phone specially since Android and Ios has alot more functions th�n bb10

And your assumption would be wrong!

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 12:31 PM

I think you are missing the point. We are not talking about eco system but how the phone is out of the box. BB10 is just that much better OS. And I doubt OPs father is in to chromecast etc.

And there had been app available for panoramic photos and is coming natively this year.

Some people can never be happy and always have to find faults.

Posted via CB10
    Parrillas NY likes this.
    06-08-14 12:31 PM

Are you joking? 10.3 has panorama built right into the camera (and until then, we have apps in BlackBerry World, just like Android and iOS), we have had photo and video editing built in since 10.0, and does anyone seriously ever use 3D anything? There's a reason why the Evo3D and all the 3D televisions out there didn't catch on, mate...

Not to mention:
    Who needs Chromecast when you have hdmi and Miracast/DLNA? And what exactly are we lacking as far as an "ecosystem"? We can use cloud storage for basically everything, if need be, MP3s available in BlackBerry World (that can then be transferred and played on anything) are a much better option, to me, than some proprietary song type that makes me rely on a desktop program which is HORRIBLE and SLOW, and I can just download the Android version from a variety of sources for any app that I can't get natively.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 12:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Funny. Which phone is he using?
    06-08-14 12:43 PM
    An astute observation. I take it that the lack of flow in the menus is one reason he sees Android as immature and cobbled together.
    06-08-14 12:50 PM
    I remember when Android used to be a nerd phone for advanced users. It was a better os and you could do more with it but it was just too out there and weird. But with samsungs super phones with all the bells and whistles it's hard not be impressed.

Android still has that geeky-school-project feel to it and being open source it probably always will be. But both iOS and android have inherit unevolved GUIs with a mid 2000's flavour. Their features and hardware get updated but the GUIs remain the same. In a world where FaceBook gets overhauled every second week this market demands changes even on the GUI level to keep up.

BlackBerry 10 imo has the best GUI available that captures this demand of the market. But they are only in this position because they were forced to reinvent themselves to stay alive otherwise they would be just as tired and boring as the rest. They may be accused of "too little too late" but they did still produce a very good OS. Let's just hope they stay on top of the development demands.

Posted via CB10
    JesseBabe23 and pystha like this.
    06-08-14 12:57 PM
    Are you joking? 10.3 has panorama built right into the camera (and until then, we have apps in BlackBerry World, just like Android and iOS), we have had photo and video editing built in since 10.0, and does anyone seriously ever use 3D anything? There's a reason why the Evo3D and all the 3D televisions out there didn't catch on, mate...

Not to mention:
    Who needs Chromecast when you have hdmi and Miracast/DLNA? And what exactly are we lacking as far as an "ecosystem"? We can use cloud storage for basically everything, if need be, MP3s available in BlackBerry World (that can then be transferred and played on anything) are a much better option, to me, than some proprietary song type that makes me rely on a desktop program which is HORRIBLE and SLOW, and I can just download the Android version from a variety of sources for any app that I can't get natively.

Posted via CB10
    Ya yet It is only working on leaks It took them what 2 years to catch up Not even on offical release
    Iphone 4 and most androids had It for th� last 2 years
    Th� equaliZer is pr�set unlike most phones including th� bb7 phones what is your excuse for them now for being behind after a year of being out?

Lord If You still rely on a desktop for songs You really need to try other platforms
    I can get songs faster and higher quality without a desktop thru th� web with th� ecosystems
    I can stream, d'o ms glass to contr�l diff�rent devices , use my devices as a remote or extended screen Not with miracast but ms glass
    miracast is limited to what It can do You cant control consoles, computers etc
    I can grab pictures with th� fb app
    06-08-14 12:58 PM
    I think BB10 looks more mature, and a lot of features are perfectly embedded in the system.

Having said that, Android still has a better eco-system and most important, it has developer commitment.
    06-08-14 01:00 PM
    Ya yet It is only working on leaks It took them what 2 years to catch up Not even on offical release
    Th� equaliZer is pr�set unlike most phones including th� bb7 phones what is your excuse for them now for being behind after a year of being out?

Lord If You still rely on a desktop for songs You really need to try other platforms
    I can get songs faster and higher quality without a desktop thru th� web with th� ecosystems
    I can stream, d'o ms glass to contr�l diff�rent devices , use my devices as a remote or extended screen Not with miracast but ms glass
    Just need to move along and go love your droid. No sense in puffing out your little chest.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    06-08-14 01:10 PM
    Wow Phil, you are comparing a 6 to 8 years old Android and iOS to a barely 1.5 year old BB OS10. To me, BlackBerry is doing an amazing job at that and I do think BB10 OS is better than both of those other 2 OS already. The only thing they lack are apps and proper marketing, IMHO.

posted via CB10 using my awesome Z10 keyboard
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    06-08-14 01:11 PM
    I think I'm with your father OP. My first experience with Android was the version before Froyo on a HTC desire (my wife's phone). It looks nice and is responsive, but it is hard to navigate and I never felt I understood the device. Last week I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini for my mother (70 yrs, but she still tech savvy, relatively), it has Android 4.2 installed. Again it looks very good (better than on HTC, but that was 3 years ago) it is response. Again, however, it is difficult to comprehend the device. For example how to delete a photo? I don't know why, but I deleted on one place and it still showed up in another. Also the apps and the homescreens division, that is sort of confusing. Overal, it feels chaotic to me, it is not very intuitive, but it looks very good and is very response.

Compare Android to iOS, and the choice UX wise would be easy, iOS wins. But even in iOS (my wife has iPhone 5, and I have iPads) simple thing are difficult. For example, where are my photo's stored? What happens after iTunes has done it's work? Why are the menu's not intuitive to me?

Take a look at BB10! I cannot imagine that people find the learning curve steep. Swipe up is button press, is that so hard to do? If you grasp that, the settings menu is pretty straightforward. Files are found with the explorer, organize the way you like it. Deleting apps is long press and delete, and it is gone then, not hidden behind some second or third layer (android). Deleting mail is long press and delete, delete a photo is long press, delete. Overall, BB10 is the best mobile OS for me.

The eco systems of iOS and Android are much much better. But the out of the box functionality that BB10 offers can't even be matched be third party software on iOS and Android. In addition, I think the UX of BB10 is the best (although it is far from perfect).

Have a nice day

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 01:15 PM
    I think I'm with your father OP. My first experience with Android was the version before Froyo on a HTC desire (my wife's phone). It looks nice and is responsive, but it is hard to navigate and I never felt I understood the device. Last week I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini for my mother (70 yrs, but she still tech savvy, relatively), it has Android 4.2 installed. Again it looks very good (better than on HTC, but that was 3 years ago) it is response. Again, however, it is difficult to comprehend the device. For example how to delete a photo? I don't know why, but I deleted on one place and it still showed up in another. Also the apps and the homescreens division, that is sort of confusing. Overal, it feels chaotic to me, it is not very intuitive, but it looks very good and is very response.

Compare Android to iOS, and the choice UX wise would be easy, iOS wins. But even in iOS (my wife has iPhone 5, and I have iPads) simple thing are difficult. For example, where are my photo's stored? What happens after iTunes has done it's work? Why are the menu's not intuitive to me?

Take a look at BB10! I cannot imagine that people find the learning curve steep. Swipe up is button press, is that so hard to do? If you grasp that, the settings menu is pretty straightforward. Files are found with the explorer, organize the way you like it. Deleting apps is long press and delete, and it is gone then, not hidden behind some second or third layer (android). Deleting mail is long press and delete, delete a photo is long press, delete. Overall, BB10 is the best mobile OS for me.

The eco systems of iOS and Android are much much better. But the out of the box functionality that BB10 offers can't even be matched be third party software on iOS and Android. In addition, I think the UX of BB10 is the best (although it is far from perfect).

Have a nice day

Posted via CB10
    Could It be You didnt delete th� right photo ?
    Same things happens on bb10 If You d�l�t� th� thumbnail You dont d�l�t� th� pictures
    You have to go to th� right directory
    Homescreen is a launcher for quick access to frequently used apps thats th� way You should be using It
    Even bbry has That
    Apps screens is for all your apps just Not th� frequently used ones
    You can �dit and organize both
    Th� homescreen for th� bb10 is one screen If i remember correctly but homescreen in Android can be 3
    06-08-14 01:21 PM

Do you use your phone for its camera? Do you use it for video editing?
    I use a camera and my pc for those functions...
    And use my phone to stay connected...
    And I don't understand what you really mean by ecosystem...

About chromecast... my BlackBerry does better... it's got miracast...i don't need another internet connection just to get my stuff on the screen like chromecast...

And btw my father uses a moto g

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 01:22 PM
    ...hooray?
    06-08-14 01:23 PM
    Funny. Which phone is he using?
    Moto g

Stock android
    Do you know that the stock lock screen on android does not even show any notifications

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 01:25 PM
    *facepalm*

Good lord.

In another bit of 'importance' my dad likes cheese curd better than cheese whiz.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-08-14 01:25 PM
    Are you talking about panorama here? Because, again, we have had apps for it since 10.0, just like Android and iOS.

I have NO IDEA what you're saying here... only thing I can make out is equalizer. so is this a complaint that it took til 10.3 for it to be native? Big deal - again, there are apps for that.

Clearly, I was referring to iTunes. No, I don't rely on it and never have because IT SUCKS - I've always preferred to purchase MP3s from other sources, such as Google Play and now BlackBerry World.

Not sure why you're saying that we can't control consoles, computers, etc with BlackBerry. With HDMI, my phone turns into a remote for the video and volume. Not to mention, there are plenty of free remote control apps in BlackBerry World that allow you to basically use your BlackBerry as a keyboard/mouse for your computer, even from across the room.

I haven't heard you mention one thing that's valid.

OP, I have an old Evo and have some friends who have the Note 3 and I totally agree with your dad. Old Android or new, they feel like a clunky, colorful, novelty item for college kids whereas my BB10 is sleek and just feels more like a "grown-up" phone. I mean, I loved my Evo when I first got it but BlackBerry wins hands-down now.

Posted via CB10
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    06-08-14 01:28 PM
    An astute observation. I take it that the lack of flow in the menus is one reason he sees Android as immature and cobbled together.
    That and small things out of the box, like the lock screen for example, even his old Nokia phone showed missed calls and notifications on the lock screen, can't believe stock android still does not have that...and that's just one of many things

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 01:29 PM
    That and small things out of the box, like the lock screen for example, even his old Nokia phone showed missed calls and notifications on the lock screen, can't believe stock android still does not have that...and that's just one of many things

Posted via CB10
    It's called choice and your dad made a choice. Of course this thread will turn into mocking Android. Like all the others.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-08-14 01:34 PM

Have a nice day

Posted via CB10
    Some great observations
    Even i feel the same
    Let's hope things turn out good for BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 01:35 PM
    Do you use your phone for its camera? Do you use it for video editing?
    I use a camera and my pc for those functions...
    And use my phone to stay connected...
    And I don't understand what you really mean by ecosystem...

About chromecast... my BlackBerry does better... it's got miracast...i don't need another internet connection just to get my stuff on the screen like chromecast...

And btw my father uses a moto g

Posted via CB10
    You dont need th� Internet for chrome Cast lol
    Some apps Yes but Not locally stored vid�os or pictures
    Amy device with wifi direct can use It and chrome Cast is cheaper
    Chrome Cast lets You run apps from your phone tablet or laptops or computer

Miracast screenshares meaning You cant just exit out
    I can send a stream from netflix then exit out because th� chrome Cast connect
    for me to netflix
    With Miracast, your TV (or Miracast dongle) is dependent on your Android device the entire time the devices are paired. If your Android goes to sleep, your TV's screen blacks out, too. This co-dependency is both a great advantage and a tragic pitfall for Miracast (think battery life).

Chromecast, however, only relies on the mobile device for a moment during the initial setup. Once the Chromecast receiver knows what content it needs to play, your mobile device holds none of the load. In which case you're free to multitask, lock your device, or queue up the next video.
    Are You sure miracast is better lol Sorry i rather link th�n go about m'y business while m'y kid or m'y pr�sentation. Is going on

06-08-14 01:37 PM
    Moto g

Stock android
    Do you know that the stock lock screen on android does not even show any notifications

Posted via CB10
    Yes, i do know that. I own one.
    In case you don't have any password/pattern protection, notifications will show up by simply swiping down.
    But if protection is there, i don't think notifications should show up. not good. privacy reasons
    06-08-14 01:40 PM
    Cb10 app can't display your font correctly
    My father says ANDROID looks like a college project in front of BB10 XD-img_20140609_023929.png

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    06-08-14 01:40 PM
64 123