Here's the deal... I have the Bold 9650 running Sprint's OS 6. I've been very happy with the OS except for the new webkit browser. First off, I'm really not a heavy internet user on my blackberry. There's really not enough screen on the 9650 for heavy web surfing IMO. However, for basic information gathering the old browser met my needs perfectly! Even when set to maximum to text on the new browser is so small it makes the browser unusable for me. Yes, I know you can zoom and scroll in OS 6, but c'mon when you just want to read text this is a waste of time IMO. Yes, I know I can use BOLT (or others) but they only slightly increase text size and are buggy IMO. I was fine w/the old column view in OS 5 browser, now I may have to downgrade just to get it back. Any thoughts or comments from other 9650 (running OS 6) users feeling the same way?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 01:06 PM
    Doesn't the paragraph of text you're trying to read automatically reformat to fit your screen size?

01-26-11 01:12 PM
    Are you sure it's the same webpage? The new browser is supposed to open the actual site more often than not, so maybe you are used the the mobile friendly version of the site and keep getting sent to the full site. check and see if you're on the mobile site or can get there.
    01-26-11 01:26 PM
    Use Bolt. You can set it to several different text sizes and they work well.

Bolt Browser
    01-26-11 03:20 PM
    I understand your frustration. This is a core reason why I don't want to update to 6
    01-26-11 03:24 PM
    i'm on the side of the op. The web kit "is what it is" and it truly is a major disappointment imho. I've gone back to 5 many times for the better browsing experience using column view. I always come back to 6 tho, and not for the browser, but all the rest of the goodness 6 has to offer. But this is just me . YMMV absolutely!

01-26-11 03:47 PM
    Sure nuttin rong with ur I's?

01-26-11 04:52 PM
    What do yall mean by colume view on os5 browser. I had tje more trouble on my 8520 and 9700 than I do on my torch.

01-26-11 05:02 PM
    Column view- when you press the bb button on a webpage and pick column view it wraps all text to fit the screen. Makes it much easier to read.

OS6 is lacking this feature and doesn't auto-wrap as it should sometimes.

01-26-11 05:49 PM
    On OS5, you can column view by just pressing the Z key! It's a real time-saver.

01-26-11 08:52 PM
    Column view- when you press the bb button on a webpage and pick column view it wraps all text to fit the screen. Makes it much easier to read.

OS6 is lacking this feature and doesn't auto-wrap as it should sometimes.

Dang it..... I missed that 1. I'm chargeing my 9700 so I can play wirh it tomorrow. Hehe

01-27-11 12:53 AM
    Bolt is the way to go, you won't need to change your current device either. Runs fine on OS 6 and OS 5.

01-27-11 04:04 AM
    I understand your frustration. This is a core reason why I don't want to update to 6
    THIS is my one major reason I decided NOT to upgrade to OS6 yet I have everything ready to go on my compt, its that I just can't wrap my head around the fact I would have to use Bolt to be able to view my browser, and I'm not a fan of Bolt. So I'm waiting. I have quite a few people encouraging me to jump now, but I'm not ready for the browser issues. (My eyes aren't the greatest) other than that that, I heard good things about OS6. So, I understand your concerns as well!

01-27-11 07:15 AM
    I love OS6 compared to OS5...cant even think about giving up Universal Search... but I was having the same issues with text wrapping and zooming. I did find that using "alt" and the trackpad delivered a much better result than pressing the magnifying glass. What really changed my opinion of this was ditching the webkit browser for Opera Mini 5. Some have mentioned Bolt and I know that's had alot of problems with typing (wrong letters... I've also read about some possible security concerns with passwords lately on Bolt... not sure if that is true or not). I will say that Opera Mini 5 (while you do have to be patient with the trackpad when selecting links) the speed difference and the text wrapping and formatting is night and day compare to the BB browser! I used to use column view sometimes but I found that it reformatted some mobile sites in a strange way. Opera just works so much better. It works so good in fact, I have yet to even find a zoom adjustment in it (aside from the overview box that only shows on full websites, not mobile) yet I have not had a single problem reading anything or having to scroll around like the webkit browser. Give it a try!
    01-27-11 10:38 AM
    If everyone used pinkdimonds text this thread would be dead. I wish this forum would set the default text larger. It is a blackberry site yet has the smallest text of any forum I have been on

01-27-11 05:43 PM
    If everyone used pinkdimonds text this thread would be dead. I wish this forum would set the default text larger. It is a blackberry site yet has the smallest text of any forum I have been on

now why would this thread be dead because of my text? ........
    and its "P1nkD1am0nds" .

01-27-11 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD