I currently own an Ipod nano 2gb (old school i know!!) and I saw a thread on here about turning your BB into a workout buddy. I want to try and use my curve for workouts but I have a really cheap non-oem holster so I,m scared it will fall out while hitting the iron but will give it a try.

My question is how reliable is a Blackberry as an mp3 player compared to ipod nano?

Is there anyone else that uses your BB as and MP3 and whats been your experience?

I will keep the 1gb card that came with the phone and just utilize Apple Genius to keep my playlist fresh, because I just honestly will never listen to all the music I own and Apple Genius does a great job mixing songs to fit a certain mood.

I have both my BB and Ipod synced so the same playlist on one is on the other (genius included)
    01-04-09 09:24 PM
    I use mine as a MP3 player at work. I think it works really well. The only issue I have is that it can drain my battery if I use music to long.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 09:33 PM
    I use mine also. I have a 16gb ipod touch and I have a 16 gb micro sd card in my Bold.

01-04-09 09:43 PM
    Since I got my first BB late 2007, I retired my iPod.

Convergence all the way!!!
    01-04-09 09:50 PM
    I use a hip a bag cus I don't like the armband thing. Works well for me to workout and shoot buckets till we start noonball. I use wired headset and a bluetooth one if its charged I have an 8gb card. 3 playlists

01-04-09 09:55 PM
    I also use my bb as a mp3 player....
    I also use it to listen music threw the car speakers
    I-pod ....whats that lol lol lol
    01-04-09 10:00 PM
    "Secondary"?

... try "Primary!"
    01-04-09 11:21 PM
    No for me. Did this for a little while but I find my MP3 player outperforms
    my Curve for media in every aspect. I don't even use it as
    a secondary player any longer.
    01-04-09 11:45 PM
    I was amazed at how well my Pearl handled MP3's. As good as the iPod Nano I had (with the notable exception of some blips during some songs where the player hesitated a multi-second). The neat thing is when a call comes in, the music stops while you answer the call and then starts again when you hand up. So you can always be in touch--a nice feature.

As far as draining the battery, I've noticed that my Nano eats battery power for lunch, so it's about equal. That's why I have a charger for the BB at work, home and in the car.
    01-05-09 12:25 AM
    using my bb as my mp3 player, otherwise i watch plenty of videos. it is my all-in-one device!
    01-05-09 02:20 AM
    i have an iPod Touch (2gen) that i use for "working out" & i have found myself "neglecting" it lately.... (well since i got my Storm).... i think BB's sound great & work extremely well as MP3 players!
    01-05-09 02:45 AM
    Since I only use an MP3 player while working out, my Curve is my primary MP3 player. I am very happy with it. I'm still just using the original 1GB SD card, but it holds more than enough music for me not to hear a song more than twice a week in shuffle mode. I find that the battery drain is negligible during my hour and a half workouts.

I track my workouts through the Gymtechnik website. Have you found a good standalone app for workout tracking?

01-05-09 06:40 AM
    Heck yeah...I use it every day as an MP3 player. I plug it into my car stereo for the work commute and also listen to it at lunch and sometimes in the evenings.

For me it's a matter of convenience...I could buy an IPod or some other dedicated device but why? Why spend the $$$ and why pack around another device?

I read here about folks who say the quality is not good when compared to dedicated MP3 players but since I am either running it through the very good system in my car or through most excellent Bose headphones it's plenty good enough.

Besides...it's been my experience that the quality of the songs you buy/d-load is the most important factor anyway...load junk, get junk...YMMV!!
    01-05-09 06:56 AM
    I use my Curve as a phone/data device, mostly because of lack of video - Bluetooth support. If that was resolved, I might retire my MP3 Player.

01-05-09 07:02 AM
    Replaced my iPod nano with my curve. I'm quite happy. I find the performance of the curve quite good. Now I only have one device.

01-05-09 08:59 AM
    I intend to use my 8900 as my primary MP3 player. The audio quality is quite good if I use it with my old Ipod headphones and set the equalizer to bass boost (really necessary since otherwise it sounds really thin and cold). The media player is quite good, but I find the battery life to be an issue. Last night I did a little test: fully charged, I turned off WiFi and bluetooth and set a playlist to repeat. After 8 hours the battery was down to 10%, which is not a lot. For example, th Nokia N85 was tested to last for over 29 hours of music playback (according to the review on mobile-review.com).
    As a next step, I want to try different media players. Maybe the standard one is particularly lousy in terms of energy efficiency, but I doubt it. I guess the Nokia N85 will have dedicated hardware that allows for such a duration.
    I guess, if you want to use it as a MP3 player, you should have access to a charger wherever you are or maybe a spare battery or two.
    01-05-09 11:34 AM
    Not for me. I have my iPod for my music, my Garmin for GPS directions, and my Curve for data and communication. I'd rather have a specific device that does its designed function well than something that tries to perform multiple duties, each half-a$$ed. Specialization all the way!
    01-05-09 12:49 PM
    I'm with AG. I save a few mp3's to my Bold, but still keep my iPod for all the heavy work.
    01-05-09 01:51 PM
    One device all the way. I use my Curve along with two different Stereo BT headsets and can't imagine getting my iPod out of mothballs.

I use a Moto S9 (the behind the head one) for running and a Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980 (lanyard type with totally AWESOME earbuds and sound) for mountain biking.

Once you go wireless you'll never go back. Yes I could use a wired MP3 player but man - having the stereo BT along with my 16Gb micro SD is so awesome.
    01-05-09 04:59 PM
    Hey Johnnymac, what about your battery life? I repeated my little stress test and got about 8h30 out of my 8900. With bluetooth enabled, I guess it is quite a bit lower. Do you have any numbers?
    01-06-09 02:41 AM
    I just killed anothe ipod and and am in the process of deciding if purchasing another is really necessary. Is there a BB media player which syncs with itunes? Or plays M4a yet?

01-06-09 03:32 AM
    i have an iPod Touch (2gen) that i use for "working out" & i have found myself "neglecting" it lately.... (well since i got my Storm).... i think BB's sound great & work extremely well as MP3 players!

I love your u/name. Lmao at work. Getting strange looks as I type. I agree, I used to have my ipod and curve with me on the
    Commute. Now I have my storm it is all I need. Also the new leather case allows ur plugin
    Headphones to still be attached whilst getting the max protection in ur pocket.

01-06-09 04:24 AM
    I have been tremendously underwhelmed with the MP3 performance of BBs. The better the headphones I use in it, the more the flaws stand out. Using either my Sennehsier PX100s or my car stereo system, my Ipod Nano destroys the BB.

Right tool for the right job. I enjoy my music too much to sacrifice the quality to an all-in-one device.
    01-06-09 09:30 AM
    Hey Johnnymac, what about your battery life? I repeated my little stress test and got about 8h30 out of my 8900. With bluetooth enabled, I guess it is quite a bit lower. Do you have any numbers?
    Well - in my case, I'm not using my device or listening to music for 8 hours at a time, so my battery life has been fine. I use my device when running (30 min or so) and/or biking (1.5 to 2 hrs) - so I experience no problems at all with batt life. I usually use my Sony BT when I'm on airplanes as well (the flight attendants can't tell it's BT-ing to my BB) and in that situation I usually have my Curve plugged in to the power adapter with a car charger.

No battery problems for me.

Bottom line - I'm a heavy device user (use it for ebooks, music, tons of apps) and I just want to carry one thing. Am I sacrificing some high end stereo audio quality? Maybe but the advantages of ALWAYS having my music/books/etc always with me and always accessible far outweigh any minimal audiophile loss. Far outweigh, to me.
    01-06-09 11:07 AM
    Bottom line - I'm a heavy device user (use it for ebooks, music, tons of apps) and I just want to carry one thing. Am I sacrificing some high end stereo audio quality? Maybe but the advantages of ALWAYS having my music/books/etc always with me and always accessible far outweigh any minimal audiophile loss. Far outweigh, to me.
    This is it exactly. Is it an acceptable sacrifice? To me, the crushed low end and exaggerated highs is just too much for me, so I use my nano. Carrying around that little sliver is no added inconvenience for me. For others, they prefer the all in one device. The age old quality vs convenience trade off.
    01-06-09 11:12 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD