Communication between my BB Classic and my wife's Samsung Note 5 (Verizon)?
    10-17-15 10:31 PM
    What type of communication are you referring to? Email, BBM, sms?

"Security" has many levels.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    10-17-15 10:46 PM
    Unless you are using BES, you don't a significant advantage.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 11:09 PM
    All three of those actually.
    Gmail, work email, text, pics, etc..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-17-15 11:33 PM
    All three of those actually.
    Gmail, work email, text, pics, etc..

Everything you list has nothing to do with BlackBerry. Your email providers control how your email travels, and your carrier handles your sms traffic.

Regardless of the device, BBM is secure, unless the authorities compel BlackBerry to decrypt and release your chat history. If you pay extra for BBM Protected, then even BlackBerry can't decrypt your messages.

10-17-15 11:48 PM
    Ok. I understand what you're saying. So, BBM messaging downloaded on any device is secure?? Is using BlackBerry email different than Gmail, Yahoo, etc...
    I know I might sound like an ***** but I'm just not tech savvy

10-18-15 10:22 AM
    Ok. I understand what you're saying. So, BBM messaging downloaded on any device is secure?? Is using BlackBerry email different than Gmail, Yahoo, etc...
    I know I might sound like an ***** but I'm just not tech savvy

BBM operates the same, regardless of platform.

BlackBerry no longer offers email hosting.

10-18-15 10:44 AM
    "Supposedly", for BBM to be secure (meaning that BlackBerry wouldn't be able to hand-over your chat to the authorities or to a lawyer that gets a subpoena from a judge) you'd need to pay for BBM Protected.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2789 CB10 
    10-18-15 05:28 PM
    "Supposedly", for BBM to be secure (meaning that BlackBerry wouldn't be able to hand-over your chat to the authorities or to a lawyer that gets a subpoena from a judge) you'd need to pay for BBM Protected.

Yes. See post#5 above.

I would hope most people are not too concerned that their chats may need to be sought by the authorities.

rthonpm likes this.
    10-18-15 05:56 PM
    Yes. See post#5 above.

I would hope most people are not too concerned that their chats may need to be sought by the authorities.

The thing is that you probably live in a country where there is actually a "process".

Many smaller countries (am thinking about where my family is from in the Caribbean lol) still have 'corrupt' and crazy legal systems where for political or personal reasons those with ties to authorities use the system to do whatever they wish.

It's a big 'ol world where nothing should shock you (especially in countries that are run like they belong to and are the property of a small powerful group).

But back on topic:
    You can never be 100% sure that communications are secure in this day in age, but it's prudent to take steps as long as they don't completely ruin the user experience to extreme levels.

10-18-15 06:44 PM
    There are all kinds of security, but what you are talking about it network security - as in, "how safe is my data as it moves through various data networks?"

And the answer to that is: your BB phone, without BES, is no more secure than any other smartphone, with one potential exception being BBM messages, which have a low-grade encryption on them to prevent casual interception, but where every device uses the same key, so it shouldn't be considered "secure". Your phone calls and SMS texts are completely in the clear (like all other phones except super-niche specialty phones), and your email and apps use the same security and encryption on BB as on any other platform.

BES adds some additional network security specific to the company deploying it, so that, if you work for XYZ company, and they use BES, they can secure their internal email servers, corporate BBM, internal file shares (if they use/allow them), and any custom internal apps developed by/for XYZ company. But as soon as you send an email outside of the company's internal email system, or use a third-party email system or app, you're back to the same level of security as anyone else. Likewise, the BBM encryption only secures messages to other employees of XYZ company who are on the same BES as you are - other BBM messages are just the same as non-BES BBM.
    10-19-15 11:30 AM
    There are all kinds of security, but what you are talking about it network security - as in, "how safe is my data as it moves through various data networks?"

And the answer to that is: your BB phone, without BES, is no more secure than any other smartphone, with one potential exception being BBM messages, which have a low-grade encryption on them to prevent casual interception, but where every device uses the same key, so it shouldn't be considered "secure". Your phone calls and SMS texts are completely in the clear (like all other phones except super-niche specialty phones), and your email and apps use the same security and encryption on BB as on any other platform.

BES adds some additional network security specific to the company deploying it, so that, if you work for XYZ company, and they use BES, they can secure their internal email servers, corporate BBM, internal file shares (if they use/allow them), and any custom internal apps developed by/for XYZ company. But as soon as you send an email outside of the company's internal email system, or use a third-party email system or app, you're back to the same level of security as anyone else. Likewise, the BBM encryption only secures messages to other employees of XYZ company who are on the same BES as you are - other BBM messages are just the same as non-BES BBM.
    If one partner has BBM Protected, all chats are automatically secured, even if the other person doesn't have a subscription...

So if I want to have secure chats with anyone in my family or circle of friends, this will suffice. I they want the same for themselves, they need to purchase a sub... :-)

  Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)  
    HarrisonArcher likes this.
    10-19-15 05:28 PM