1. youknwwho's Avatar
    So as the title said, my charger is fried. The reason for it demise is a bit of along story so bear it with me....

    Gone out for a jog today and I decide to charge my 9650 since it only got 20% battery left rather than taking it with me and listen to some music on the go. when I get home I grab my BB with my sweaty palm and boom, my charger got fired. A closer look reveal that I grab the phone in such a way that my finger touches both charging contacts while the phone is still plug in..... Apparently when the phone charges to full capacity, the is an electrical leaks at the head set port and charging contacts. This could happens to ALL BB so watch out.....
    04-20-12 11:59 AM
  2. Morty2264's Avatar
    Wow, this sounds horrible - and a bit frightening! Are you okay? And your BlackBerry? I'm sure you can get a new charger set easily from your carrier. Good luck; and thank you for letting us know about this!
    04-20-12 12:05 PM
  3. youknwwho's Avatar
    My self and my BB are ok. You guys just need to keep your sweaty palms of your phone while it's charging
    04-20-12 12:10 PM
  4. Branta's Avatar
    So as the title said, my charger is fried. The reason for it demise is a bit of along story so bear it with me....

    Gone out for a jog today and I decide to charge my 9650 since it only got 20% battery left rather than taking it with me and listen to some music on the go. when I get home I grab my BB with my sweaty palm and boom, my charger got fired. A closer look reveal that I grab the phone in such a way that my finger touches both charging contacts while the phone is still plug in..... Apparently when the phone charges to full capacity, the is an electrical leaks at the head set port and charging contacts. This could happens to ALL BB so watch out.....
    I'm not buying this story.

    A few simple measurements show the reported events should be impossible on a healthy BlackBerry. One of the charging contacts is actually connected to the USB shell (chassis ground) and there is diode protection and blocking within the phone so the reverse battery/charging voltage (from USB port) at the other (positive) charging terminal is never exposed. Even if the diode failed in short circuit and exposed the 5v nominal charging voltage to a short through wet hands the likely impedance would be at least several hundred Ohms (more likely at least tens of thousands) which would limit the short circuit current from the charger to a few tens of milliamps - rather less than its rated output in normal use. Even with a failed diode and a metallic short circuit across the charging contacts the charger would not be harmed. A Lithium battery with direct connection can easily outrun the charger so the phone's battery would provide the majority of the current.

    Finally, I would expect the charging suppply to self limit by reducing output voltage if a short circuit appeared. In practice the charger will probably be rated at 500/800mA - and it is unlikely that the output of a BlackBerry mains power adaptor/charger could reach a level which is capable of damaging either the phone or the charger before the charger shut itself down in overcurrent protection.
    sputneek likes this.
    04-20-12 12:40 PM
  5. Morty2264's Avatar
    Lol, will do!
    04-20-12 12:40 PM
  6. qbnkelt's Avatar
    I'm not buying this story.

    A few simple measurements show the reported events should be impossible on a healthy BlackBerry. One of the charging contacts is actually connected to the USB shell (chassis ground) and there is diode protection and blocking within the phone so the reverse battery/charging voltage (from USB port) at the other (positive) charging terminal is never exposed. Even if the diode failed in short circuit and exposed the 5v nominal charging voltage to a short through wet hands the likely impedance would be several hundred Ohms (more likely at least tens of thousands) which would limit the short circuit current from the charger to a few tens of milliamps - rather less than its rated output in normal use. Even with a failed diode and a metallic short circuit across the charging contacts the charger would not be harmed. A Lithium battery with direct connection can easily outrun the charger so the phone's battery would provide the majority of the current.

    Finally, I would expect the charging suppply to self limit by reducing output voltage if a short circuit appeared. In practice the charger will probably be rated at 500/800mA - and it is unlikely that the output of a BlackBerry mains power adaptor/charger could reach a level which is capable of damaging either the phone or the charger before the charger shut itself down in overcurrent protection.
    Branta - I need some ceiling fans changed. Whatcha doing' this weekend?!?
    Morty2264 and sputneek like this.
    04-20-12 01:31 PM
  7. Branta's Avatar
    LoL that's physical work and needs a permit to work.
    04-20-12 05:02 PM
  8. dangerousfen's Avatar
    Got to agree with you Branta. Impossible!

    Coincidence springs to mind.

    Sent from my old faithful BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-20-12 05:16 PM
  9. sputneek's Avatar
    Branta - I need some ceiling fans changed. Whatcha doing' this weekend?!?
    Wahahahhahhahha, Jeeezzzas, just made me spray vodka & tonic all over my screen. Gotta search for one of them how to clean your screen threads now
    Last edited by sputneek; 04-20-12 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Sticky keyboard
    04-20-12 06:24 PM
  10. qbnkelt's Avatar
    Wahahahhahhahha, Jeeezzzas, just made me spray vodka & tonic all over my screen. Gotta search for one of them how to clean your screen threads now
    Heehee.....I've got no idea what he said, but i would trust him absolutely....
    04-20-12 06:59 PM
  11. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    So as the title said, my charger is fried. The reason for it demise is a bit of along story so bear it with me....

    Gone out for a jog today and I decide to charge my 9650 since it only got 20% battery left rather than taking it with me and listen to some music on the go. when I get home I grab my BB with my sweaty palm and boom, my charger got fired. A closer look reveal that I grab the phone in such a way that my finger touches both charging contacts while the phone is still plug in..... Apparently when the phone charges to full capacity, the is an electrical leaks at the head set port and charging contacts. This could happens to ALL BB so watch out.....
    NO, it does NOT happen to ALL BB. None of my phones will ever have that happen to them because I am CAREFUL with them.
    04-20-12 07:02 PM
  12. sputneek's Avatar
    Heehee.....I've got no idea what he said, but i would trust him absolutely....
    That was just simply a great comeback struck my funnybone......
    04-20-12 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD