So I'm @ work today in the office putting in orders for tomorrow while watching a Joss Stone video on YouTube. My boss comes over and is totally amazed that my phone has this capability (this guy is soooo computer/technology illiterate) and notices that I have a BB. He takes out his BB 7100 and we start talking about how cool our phones are. He says, "don't you hate having to delete 1 by 1 your messages and emails?" I tell him it's not really a hassle be cause at the most I only get about 10 to 20 emails a day and every other day I just do a delete prior to clean it up. He wants to be able to do that also so I show him what to do and tell him that this will delete EVERYTHING prior to what ever date you have highlighted. His response: "thats what I want". So he does it and when it's all done.............................the guy almost s**ts his pants. Where did everything go? What happened?

Long story short, he finally composed himself and told me I did a good thing but a bad thing.....................I say NO, YOU did it not me, what part of EVERYTHING don't you understand? I laughed and said open your email on your desktop and voila....the guy doesn't delete anything, it's all there.

And that was my day @ the office. Have a great work week everyone.
    08-26-08 09:30 PM
    LOL @ your boss.... you may want to get him a Blackberry for Dummies book for XMas!
    08-26-08 09:33 PM
    Wow. That is something special.
    08-26-08 09:33 PM
    LOL>....funny story. Is your boss Michael Scott from "The Office" ???? LMAO!
    08-26-08 09:34 PM
    hahaha yea funny story! I <3 the office!
    08-27-08 12:45 AM
    What did your boss think you meant by every thing? Most of it?

on a side note, I just noticed I am now an Abuser, yay me.
    Last edited by hilhi2005; 08-27-08 at 12:57 AM. Reason: observation
    08-27-08 12:56 AM
    I was thinking the same thing!
    08-27-08 01:17 AM
    That's typically the response I get when I tell a user I am going to re-image their machine and that it will wipe out their hard drive. They proceed to ask me if that will delete everything? Well duh.
    08-27-08 12:45 PM
    This reminds me of my boss. I have been teaching him to use a computer over the last few months and the other day he tells me, "why didn't you tell me I can use the number keys on the side of the keyboard". I just had to laugh at him. Teaching anything in the field of technology to old people who don't understand it is really difficult.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-08 01:34 PM
    Be careful , 25% of the people here at CB are "old people" who spend a lot of time helping "young people." It isn't an age thing anymore. It's an education thing. some of us old people are pretty smart. Lol
    X

08-27-08 02:04 PM
    Sometimes you just want to say "Look, your too stupid to use a computer. Get paper and pencil."
    08-27-08 02:56 PM
    It never ceases to amaze me how many successful people actually know LESS than the people who do their work. I wonder if I dumbed myself down I might get rich!!! LOL!!!!
    08-27-08 03:14 PM
    Some how some way I became the residential "techie" at the office. Now mind you...Im about as technologically savy as my dog and yet I'm the genius??? Seriously the bell curve is moving and its starting to scare me!
    08-27-08 03:18 PM
    Sorry if I offended anyone with that statement. I guess I was expecting that. Its hard for me because I am the only person under 40 at my company and everyone thinks I am some sort of IT tech guy because I can locate the power button and perform a Google search.

I think its great when older people are willing to learn new technology. But it can be frustrating if they don't put the effort in and always expect you to solve any obstacles like "Why didn't you tell me about the right side of the keyboard". I never told him to breathe while on the computer either!

One of my goals in life is to always keep up with changing technology. I am a cad draftsman and if you don't know the most current software, you are that many steps behind the next guy and won't get the job.

Be careful , 25% of the people here at CB are "old people" who spend a lot of time helping "young people." It isn't an age thing anymore. It's an education thing. some of us old people are pretty smart. Lol
    X

08-27-08 04:33 PM
    I don't know if it's typical for bosses to be "dumber" than the average worker, but most successful people will tell you that it's not about what you know. It's about the people you surround yourself with. Steve Jobs most likely can't put an iPhone together, but he has lots of Asian people putting them together in factories for close to no pay. TANGENT
    08-27-08 05:04 PM
    My company is Treo only, but I refuse to use them, i'm strickly BB
    08-27-08 05:18 PM
    I find it to be rather cool when one of my managers whose had a BB longer than me catches me doing something they have never seen and never knew their phone was capable of doing.
    08-27-08 05:25 PM
    I didn't get upset Cmonk, I know exactly who you are talking about. I started "tinkering" with computers back when the first Apples showed up. My first machine had a 286 processor and I think it was 16K ram - I can't remember that long ago, haha. I remember getting a 386 DX with a 50 mb hard drive, and I was in heaven! I tried my best to interest my friends and coworkers in the technology, I told them it was the future. They were in their twenties and thirties, and not interested. Now those people are the "old" people you're talking about.

Your's is the first gen to grow up with computers, but mine is the one that invented them. You got it right in your second post, those people are just lazy. In the old days they were intimidated by how much they needed to learn, and now they don't realize how easy it is. The thing is, the people you are trying to teach are the same ones I tried to teach decades ago, .

08-27-08 07:46 PM
    Hah that's funny!
    08-27-08 08:36 PM
    Yeah your boss sounds like quite a card.

08-27-08 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD