wrong...this is where RIM has realized its limitations and probably decided to up the game in the premium market with the soon to be announced BBX phones..
    If I may ask, what are the BBX phones?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 06:01 AM
    the new platform which will be used to base the qnx phones?? i think BB have announced this name...

someone can confirm perhaps..
    10-06-11 06:06 AM
    You are talking about QNX. I don't think RIM has labeled the smartphone version BBX, but I could be wrong. QNX is the kernel the PlayBook OS (Tablet OS) runs on, which will what the future BB smartphones will run off of as well.
    10-06-11 07:02 AM
    You are talking about QNX. I don't think RIM has labeled the smartphone version BBX, but I could be wrong. QNX is the kernel the PlayBook OS (Tablet OS) runs on, which will what the future BB smartphones will run off of as well.
    So BBX is basically QNX but for bb?

10-06-11 10:05 AM
    So BBX is basically QNX but for bb?

That is what I assume he/she means. I have never heard RIM use "BBX" for QNX on BB smartphones though. They have always just said "QNX for BlackBerry" from what I have read/heard.
    K Bear likes this.
    10-06-11 10:25 AM
    That is what I assume he/she means. I have never heard RIM use "BBX" for QNX on BB smartphones though. They have always just said "QNX for BlackBerry" from what I have read/heard.
    Ok I see! Thank you for clearing this up. What do you think about this BB phenomenon in Singapore?

10-06-11 10:39 AM
    Ok I see! Thank you for clearing this up. What do you think about this BB phenomenon in Singapore?

That there are more iPhone than BBs? I find it interesting. I would think people would not spend $1000+ on a device, plus the data plan while the BBs are cheaper and are more efficient with data. I do not know how robust the networks are too. Never been there.

I do find it amazing how people are willing to spend that much on the iPhone though. They really must love/want it to be throwing around that kind of change for a smartphone.
    10-06-11 11:17 AM
    That there are more iPhone than BBs? I find it interesting. I would think people would not spend $1000+ on a device, plus the data plan while the BBs are cheaper and are more efficient with data. I do not know how robust the networks are too. Never been there.

I do find it amazing how people are willing to spend that much on the iPhone though. They really must love/want it to be throwing around that kind of change for a smartphone.
    I see your point. As I said before I'm pretty sure this is due to peer pressure. One guy bought the phone and he ushered the other to. The chain kept on going on. I believe that is the reason for people to keep it. I'm pretty sure people are rich too over there...

10-06-11 11:27 AM
    I see your point. As I said before I'm pretty sure this is due to peer pressure. One guy bought the phone and he ushered the other to. The chain kept on going on. I believe that is the reason for people to keep it. I'm pretty sure people are rich too over there...

I see your point, but there is no peer pressure in the world that would make me spend $1k on a phone. I'll gladly be the loser who saved money on the cheaper device.

If they are rich, then I do not see it as a big deal at all. If you got the extra cash and money is nothing for you, go for it.

I sold my iPhone 3G and 3GS used for $650+ each. Would I spend that much on a used iPhone? Absolutely not.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-06-11 at 11:42 AM.
    10-06-11 11:40 AM
    I see your point, but there is no peer pressure in the world that would make me spend $1k on a phone. I'll gladly be the loser who saved money on the cheaper device.

If they are rich, then I do not see it as a big deal at all. If you got the extra cash and money is nothing for you, go for it.

I sold my iPhone 3G and 3GS used for $650+ each. Would I spend that much on a used iPhone? Absolutely not.
    Very true. I'm astonished to see how much you sold an iphone for!!!!!!!! And yes I mostly see money-throwers getting these phones. Not always though.

10-06-11 11:51 AM
    Very true. I'm astonished to see how much you sold an iphone for!!!!!!!! And yes I mostly see money-throwers getting these phones. Not always though.

Before AT&T lost exclusivity, the iPhone had the highest resale value of any other smartphone on the market, by far. I was amazed as well. Paid $200 for the device and made almost $500 off of it lol.
    10-06-11 11:55 AM
    Before AT&T lost exclusivity, the iPhone had the highest resale value of any other smartphone on the market, by far. I was amazed as well. Paid $200 for the device and made almost $500 off of it lol.
    That is utterly amazing! Yes so well the iPhone has been deemed a phone for money-throwers in Singapore. Not all though. The iPhone 4S reminds me of a funny story. My friend was chatting with me today and Steve Jobs dying and the R.I.P. stories were happening when he said the 4S is very superior. I agreed but asked him in what way. He said the camera is very good. That is true cause its 8 MP. The recording is good. Also true because of 1080 full HD but then he said the phone will now respond to voice commands and then this is when I disagreed. I said in what way? He said its very cool and makes it something worth buying. I respond with Blackberry has had this feature for quite a while though. He said email is good. Now this is when I responded in where is the iPhone good at push email. He doesn't respond and even cuts the chat. Now this shows iPhones are being sold to the non-techy cause if the person was techy then they would find the iPhone ******** mostly. What do you all think about that? The people which are non-techy never have background info which makes them strive and look for the best and believe it is the best. Now this is because Apple has marketed their devices so well that people believe it is the best. Blackberry should do the same now. Show them all the power of them and maybe then we can have this incident happen with a newbie BB fan!

10-06-11 12:05 PM
    That is utterly amazing! Yes so well the iPhone has been deemed a phone for money-throwers in Singapore. Not all though. The iPhone 4S reminds me of a funny story. My friend was chatting with me today and Steve Jobs dying and the R.I.P. stories were happening when he said the 4S is very superior. I agreed but asked him in what way. He said the camera is very good. That is true cause its 8 MP. The recording is good. Also true because of 1080 full HD but then he said the phone will now respond to voice commands and then this is when I disagreed. I said in what way? He said its very cool and makes it something worth buying. I respond with Blackberry has had this feature for quite a while though. He said email is good. Now this is when I responded in where is the iPhone good at push email. He doesn't respond and even cuts the chat. Now this shows iPhones are being sold to the non-techy cause if the person was techy then they would find the iPhone ******** mostly. What do you all think about that? The people which are non-techy never have background info which makes them strive and look for the best and believe it is the best. Now this is because Apple has marketed their devices so well that people believe it is the best. Blackberry should do the same now. Show them all the power of them and maybe then we can have this incident happen with a newbie BB fan!

All platforms have had voice recognition software, but not like Siri. I'm pretty sure the Siri app that was in the App Store didn't have the same functionality. I don't think there is any other program where you can just say to it "Remind me I have a 6:30pm appointment on October 20 2011", to then have it set the reminder in the calendar and remind you later on. On Android and iOS without Siri it is basically just "Call home", "open browser". Simple stuff like that. Now I do think Siri will be useful for a handful of people while on the go, but will be most useful for people while driving.

The iPhone is great with push email. Not all emails services are push though. Anything on Exchange is push. Gmail, hotmail and yahoo are push as well. BIS/BES is king with push right now because there is no requirements. It all has to do with RIMs server. A BB without BIS/BES has no push. If a BB was capable of using just a regular data plan, you are worse off than the competition. My gmail comes in just as fast or sometimes faster (vice versa as well) on my iPhone than my BBs. Same goes for my Android devices.

Apple definitely is a marketing machine, but IMO iOS offers and extremely easy to use UI. The user experience is great. The iPhone does have many limitations compared to the competition, but the number one reason I get from most people on why they chose the iPhone and continue to use it is that what the iPhone can do, it does extremely well. That and Apple TS/CS is top notch, especially considering you can walk into an Apple store and get hands on help, which is way better than any carrier store will ever give you.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-06-11 at 12:21 PM.
    10-06-11 12:19 PM
    All platforms have had voice recognition software, but not like Siri. I'm pretty sure the Siri app that was in the App Store didn't have the same functionality. I don't think there is any other program where you can just say to it "Remind me I have a 6:30pm appointment on October 20 2011", to then have it set the reminder in the calendar and remind you later on. On Android and iOS without Siri it is basically just "Call home", "open browser". Simple stuff like that. Now I do think Siri will be useful for a handful of people while on the go, but will be most useful for people while driving.

The iPhone is great with push email. Not all emails services are push though. Anything on Exchange is push. Gmail, hotmail and yahoo are push as well. BIS/BES is king with push right now because there is no requirements. It all has to do with RIMs server. A BB without BIS/BES has no push. If a BB was capable of using just a regular data plan, you are worse off than the competition. My gmail comes in just as fast or sometimes faster (vice versa as well) on my iPhone than my BBs. Same goes for my Android devices.

Apple definitely is a marketing machine, but IMO iOS offers and extremely easy to use UI. The user experience is great. The iPhone does have many limitations compared to the competition, but the number one reason I get from most people on why they chose the iPhone and continue to use it is that what the iPhone can do, it does extremely well. That and Apple TS/CS is top notch, especially considering you can walk into an Apple store and get hands on help, which is way better than any carrier store will ever give you.
    I see what you say about Siri. Now push isn't the best on iOS you have to admit. That's what I meant in my post. I'm a bit outdated on iOS cause I only have it on an iPad.

10-06-11 12:24 PM
    I see what you say about Siri. Now push isn't the best on iOS you have to admit. That's what I meant in my post. I'm a bit outdated on iOS cause I only have it on an iPad.

Best is opinion though. What do you mean by best? Speed? Reliability?

If you are looking for guaranteed push without having to worry if the OS supports it, than BB is the best. Otherwise, if push is supported, it is basically the same. What it comes down to after that is the email application, and IMO that really depends on the user.
    10-06-11 12:30 PM
    Best is opinion though. What do you mean by best? Speed? Reliability?

If you are looking for guaranteed push without having to worry if the OS supports it, than BB is the best. Otherwise, if push is supported, it is basically the same. What it comes down to after that is the email application, and IMO that really depends on the user.
    All really. Discussion continues later I am busy

10-06-11 12:38 PM
    All really. Discussion continues later I am busy

Ok well I wil leave you with this.

Speed- It is the same. It may come in faster on the iPhone sometimes, and faster on the BB in others. Generally speaking, push is push and you usually get an email within 1-30 seconds of the email being sent.

Reliability- This is opinion. BIS/BES requires RIMs servers to work. They are rarely down, but when they are down, people go crazy. On other platforms, you just have to worry about you email providers servers not crashing and of course having a data connection to your carrier/WiFi.

Push is reliable on all platforms. Like I said the only issue with other platforms besides BB is having compatibility for push. But if you are on EAS, all email is push no matter what the adress is.
    10-06-11 12:44 PM
    Ok well I wil leave you with this.

Speed- It is the same. It may come in faster on the iPhone sometimes, and faster on the BB in others. Generally speaking, push is push and you usually get an email within 1-30 seconds of the email being sent.

Reliability- This is opinion. BIS/BES requires RIMs servers to work. They are rarely down, but when they are down, people go crazy. On other platforms, you just have to worry about you email providers servers not crashing and of course having a data connection to your carrier/WiFi.

Push is reliable on all platforms. Like I said the only issue with other platforms besides BB is having compatibility for push. But if you are on EAS, all email is push no matter what the adress is.
    So you are saying each push provider needs different requirements to work and that each one has advantages and disadvantages? That is very interesting.

10-06-11 10:06 PM
    To clear some things up a little, data plans are cheap here in Singapore. BIS is more expensive and did not make sense to the average consumer. I'll explain:

Look here to have a glimpse of how much a 12gb data plan costs monthly for iPhones. The very cheapest for 12gb data is SGD 36/month with 100 outgoing minutes, free incoming and 500 free SMS. For all other phones except BIS, it's SGD 39/month.

In contrast, the same voice benefits for a BB phone costs SGD 41/month (SGD 25 + 16) for a whopping 1gb. (I'll post up the link when my carrier's done with site maintenance) The average consumer has absolutely no idea BB does compression, and that BB phones have no need for so much data, but when they look at the price plans and make a comparison it is a no-brainer choosing between BB and iPhone/Android/WP.

I was appalled when I read the stories comparing voice+data plans across AT&T, VZW and Sprint in the US. You guys pay that much for data?
    10-06-11 11:38 PM
    Just like. Turkey
    When I went there last year
    IPhones everrywhere
    Nobody had blackberry only the Tourists

10-07-11 12:16 AM
    To clear some things up a little, data plans are cheap here in Singapore. BIS is more expensive and did not make sense to the average consumer. I'll explain:

Look here to have a glimpse of how much a 12gb data plan costs monthly for iPhones. The very cheapest for 12gb data is SGD 36/month with 100 outgoing minutes, free incoming and 500 free SMS. For all other phones except BIS, it's SGD 39/month.

In contrast, the same voice benefits for a BB phone costs SGD 41/month (SGD 25 + 16) for a whopping 1gb. (I'll post up the link when my carrier's done with site maintenance) The average consumer has absolutely no idea BB does compression, and that BB phones have no need for so much data, but when they look at the price plans and make a comparison it is a no-brainer choosing between BB and iPhone/Android/WP.

I was appalled when I read the stories comparing voice+data plans across AT&T, VZW and Sprint in the US. You guys pay that much for data?
    Shoot that is big!!!!!!!! Why is data so expensive there? Also the iPhone has same costs?

10-07-11 01:51 AM
    Just like. Turkey
    When I went there last year
    IPhones everrywhere
    Nobody had blackberry only the Tourists

Even turkey is like that????? Shoot that aint good. Also about the data plans in US. They are better than Singapore cause I get 1000 mins, unlimited BIS and text for 30-40 dollars a month

10-07-11 01:56 AM
    Even turkey is like that????? Shoot that aint good. Also about the data plans in US. They are better than Singapore cause I get 1000 mins, unlimited BIS and text for 30-40 dollars a month

BIS is expensive in Singapore for some reason. That's why BB phone are unpopular here.

I must be mistaken then about data being expensive in the US. I read an article from TipB which gave a good breakdown of all the plans and came to that conclusion.
    10-07-11 03:11 AM
    Shoot that is big!!!!!!!! Why is data so expensive there? Also the iPhone has same costs?

Data is cheap, but BIS is expensive.
    10-07-11 03:17 AM
    BIS is expensive in Singapore for some reason. That's why BB phone are unpopular here.

I must be mistaken then about data being expensive in the US. I read an article from TipB which gave a good breakdown of all the plans and came to that conclusion.
    That's really odd. It should be the opposite because Blackberry has better data compression

10-07-11 03:20 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD