Hi, I'm hoping that you guys can give me some advice.

I'm getting a new phone and want to get a blackberry because I currently own a Bold 9700. I was thinking about getting a Bold 9900 because it falls within my price range. However with all the turmoil I'm hearing about the Blackberry company, do you think it's wise for me to invest in a phone that people are saying is a dying breed?

I don't care much for apps and use my phone strictly for communication and connectivity purposes. The only apps I'll be using daily will most likely just be facebook, twitter, any other app that deals with security or navigational purposes, bbm and the browser for when I'm in the quick need for information. I'm also not a huge fan of touch screens as the primary tool for typing.

With that said my only fear is this; if I buy a blackberry now in this "troubled" market for the company, will my phone stop being supported? That is, would apps and other services currently utilized by the smart phone stop functioning in about a year's time?

Additional information is that I'm currently in the country of Jamaica and will be here for a year. Their service plans are different from those of other international carriers from what I read.

I love blackberry, I want a blackberry. Please let me know if buying a blackberry now is not a mistake. Thanks
    09-20-13 07:03 PM
    Blackberry will be around for a long time, do not panic.... Q5 or Q10 is my advice but the 9900 was a great phone to, however it is quite antiquated when compared to my Z or Q

Lilly's hand stitched Frankenstein Z10 powered by OS 10.2.0.1725
    09-20-13 07:34 PM
    BB10 will be supported much longer than OS7 I think. A 9900 is a tough device though and I enjoyed using it. I don't think that the companies woes will make your device stop working. It will work but I say a BB10 device would be better in that regard. This uncertainty is exactly what is hurting BlackBerry. Any phone you buy will work if the company goes under. They are just restructuring right now so they will still be in business for a good long while. If you are still uncertain don't stress yourself out. Look around for alternatives. No harm in that.
    09-20-13 07:34 PM
    I'd be wary of getting something that requires BIS. (you need blackberry to stay operating in order to have proper internet over the network)
    09-20-13 07:58 PM
    I would recommend/prefer a q5/10 over 9900 because BB10 is great and almost all the major apps are covered.
    09-21-13 05:45 AM
    Ok that's some good news
    09-21-13 11:44 PM