BlackBerry Leap Review

Hey CrackBerry, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the BlackBerry Leap. I've had a pretty brief, but in depth experience with the device. It is now my daily driver. I've been using the device for about a week now, and I'd like to take the time out to give my take on the device. Hopefully this written review will help you guys decide whether or not the Leap will be the device for you. I know that many of you are already using the mainstream BB10 devices like the Passport and Classic, however I wouldn't rule out the Leap just yet!

Why I Chose the Leap
    Ever since BlackBerry 10 came out, I've been a fan of the OS and the functionality of it. I find it refreshing to use a device without a home button and I enjoy using the gestures to navigate around the OS. I think that BB10 is something unique in the market place right now. Now, I understand that many users find the app base frustrating. Up until now, I have also found the app situation semi frustrating as well. However with the help of Android runtime and the help of you CrackBerry members, it has helped me find many workarounds for apps that I may and may not use. Sometimes I have app clients such as Instagram for those times where people say "you can't even get Instagram on a BlackBerry." That's when I pull out the Android version or the native client and show them.

As for the Leap specifically, I decided to use the phone because I haven't had an all touch device for quite sometime. As some of you may know, I have been using the Passport and the Classic for the last year or so. Even though I like those devices a lot, it is nice to be using a full touch again, mainly for the screen real estate. Also, the Leap has a great form factor and build quality as well. I know that it is a mid-range device, but truthfully the build quality really makes it feel as though I am using a premium devices and its build quality is quite comparable to other high end phones on the market. Don't let the price tag deter you as it deterred me. I was sceptical at first, but now I quite happy that I made the purchase.

Battery Life
    When I first received the device, the Leap was actually having some battery issues. As you may know I posted some threads about the battery issues stating that it was draining faster than I had hoped. Thankfully after giving the devices a few days to adjust, the battery life has now met or even exceeded the 25 hour mark as advertised. Obviously battery life will depend on the user and the usage, but it holds up really well when you are on the go, watching videos, emailing, texting and many other activities that you would be doing on it.

Display
    The display is nothing special, however it holds its own for a mid-range device. At 294 ppi the device is quite clear and crisp. The display is LCD and is well lit. Viewing angles on the Leap are exceptional for a mid-range device and does very well when you are outside. I know that some of you may prefer the OLED display of the Z30. Sometimes, I even wish that the Leap had the OLED display for the saturated colors. However, for a regular LCD display, it performs well. When comparing the display on the Leap to other mid-range devices such as the Samsung Galaxy Core and the Nexus 5, I find that the Leap has more clarity.

Camera
    The camera is something that you guys all know about. It is something that many of us want BlackBerry to improve. I would have to agree. The camera is "picture capable" at best. What do I mean by this? The BlackBerry Leap can take "good" photos, and these so called "good" photos are best taken in well lit areas. I think that BlackBerry should really work on the camera department, as it is something that many of you utilize. There is much needed improvement when it comes to the Leap's camera. However, be mindful that it is a mid-range device, so I wouldn't expect BlackBerry to incorporate a high end camera anyway.

Specifications
    BlackBerry isn't really well known for it's specs. The BlackBerry Leap is a device that has mid-range specs. Many of us know why BlackBerry launched the device. It's for companies that want to deploy a large number of phones that won't break the bank. Although the specs aren't breath taking, I have to say that the device performs well. Sometimes the phone is a bit slow and choppy (this doesn't happen often by the way, so don't panic) however, it runs Android apps pretty well. Personally, I use GroupMe and BNN GO. They are from third party Android app stores. Honestly, it runs Android apps better than I thought. I wouldn't say that it runs Android apps as well as Android phones do because that would be a lie. But if you are looking to run a few android apps, don't be afraid because the Leap will surprise you for it's price point.

This will be the end of my review. These were the main factors about why I was sceptical about the Leap. Has the Leap proven me wrong? In many ways it hasn't because it runs Android apps well for what it is, the battery life is outstanding, and the display has a high level of clarity. As for the camera, it needs much improvement, and I hope BlackBerry catches wind of that so they can improve on it for the future devices, because as Chen stated, "We are not pulling out of the hardware side of things."

I hope you guys enjoyed my brief review of the BlackBerry Leap. Please engage in the comment section letting me know if you are considering or buying the Leap!
    Last edited by lovedaazn; 05-18-15 at 11:08 PM.
    05-18-15 10:49 PM
    I'm happy with my Z30 I'm not interested in the Leap good device for somebody coming from a Z10 I will wait for the slider
    05-19-15 12:02 AM
    I actually like the leap better then the z30. The leap speaker sucks though.
    05-19-15 12:16 AM
    I'm happy with my Z30 I'm not interested in the Leap good device for somebody coming from a Z10 I will wait for the slider
    How is that relevant to what he posted? You're not interested don't make a comment. You probably been heard before, is that anything to do with the review? Seems people don't quite comprehend English.

Posted with a BlackBerry Q10, Australia
    05-19-15 12:52 AM
    Lovedazzan. When done for the review and enjoy your new BlackBerry. Thanks for your input.

05-19-15 12:54 AM
    OP why get the Leap when the Z30 is cheaper and a better device? Just curious. If for LTE band support on AT&T then I understand.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 03:50 AM
    OP why get the Leap when the Z30 is cheaper and a better device? Just curious. If for LTE band support on AT&T then I understand.

Posted via CB10
    I got the leap because I already had the z30 a little while back!

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 08:10 AM
    I actually like the leap better then the z30. The leap speaker sucks though.
    I have to admit, the speaker isn't the greatest. Especially if you are on speaker phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 08:11 AM
    Nice review and straight to the point. Cheers

Posted via CB10 - Stay Classy, Stay with BlackBerry. Passport
    05-19-15 08:22 AM
    Is the camera performance the same as the Z10?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 08:47 AM
    Is the camera performance the same as the Z10?

Posted via CB10
    Ya I would say they are both really similar. You have to be very still if you want a good focus

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 10:09 AM
    Thanks for the review! I'm thinking about getting the leap to replace my Z30 since it has no LTE signal through AT&T in my area San Jose California.

Well, my niece told me that my Z30 took better picture than her iPhone. The only problem, it takes a little longer for focusing. If you give camera a little time to do its work, you will not be disappointed. You have to adjust the lighting around by touching in certain area of the screen for better pictures. With Z30 camera, you cannot point and shoot and expecting better pictures quality.
    05-19-15 11:03 AM
    How do android apps run on that processor?. I know many android apps are optimized for stronger processors. I am wondering if you noticed any lag or delays.
    *question answered nevermind*
    Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-19-15 11:29 AM
    How do android apps run on that processor?. I know many android apps are optimized for stronger processors. I am wondering if you noticed any lag or delays.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Well like I said in my review, I use GroupMe and BNN Go. For GroupMe it's just messaging, so it runs pretty well. When I'm on BNN GO I watch videos and what not. Even then, the Leap still runs pretty well with BNN videos! So I guess it depends what you are doing. I would get the android apps off of official stores like 1mobilemarket, snap and amazon. Doing so will give you updates an official releases which will help the runtime.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 11:35 AM
    Thanks for the review! I'm thinking about getting the leap to replace my Z30 since it has no LTE signal through AT&T in my area San Jose California.

Well, my niece told me that my Z30 took better picture than her iPhone. The only problem, it takes a little longer for focusing. If you give camera a little time to do its work, you will not be disappointed. You have to adjust the lighting around by touching in certain area of the screen for better pictures. With Z30 camera, you cannot point and shoot and expecting better pictures quality.
    I actually like the leap design better than the z30 design. As for the camera, I can't speak for the z30 because it's been so long since I've used the camera on it. But as for the leap, you will have to give it time. It's definitely not an iphone type of shot. Personally, I take very little photos. I'm not a 13 year old girl on Instagram, so the leap works for me because I don't mind giving it 2 seconds to focus.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 11:38 AM
    Nice review.
    05-19-15 01:10 PM
    Can you run Sunspider or some other benchmarks and give us some concrete numbers?

Can you give us a comparison of battery life using all native BB10 apps vs. running android apps in emulation? I've always suspected the Android runtime incurs a huge hit to battery life.
    05-19-15 01:33 PM
    Can you run Sunspider or some other benchmarks and give us some concrete numbers?

Can you give us a comparison of battery life using all native BB10 apps vs. running android apps in emulation? I've always suspected the Android runtime incurs a huge hit to battery life.
    This was done with relative benchmark on BlackBerry world. I couldn't find Geekbench on BlackBerry world for some reason.

MY BlackBerry Leap Review-img_20150519_161620.png

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 02:16 PM
    Does the Leap speaker issue affect phone call quality?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 04:03 PM
    Does the Leap speaker issue affect phone call quality?

Posted via CB10
    It will a bit if you have it on speaker. When it's on speaker, it's a little bit muffled

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 05:07 PM
    How is that relevant to what he posted? You're not interested don't make a comment. You probably been heard before, is that anything to do with the review? Seems people don't quite comprehend English.

In fairness, I think these sorts of post a protest and complaint at the loyal blackberry users who (like myself also) are using a z30 (or any other device for that matter) and are frustrated at the lack of a high end all touch version of a bb10 device.. call it say, a z30 version 2. I myself are super happy with the z30, ad it is the z30 that has kept me hooked and obsessed with the bb10 platform. The release of the LEAP does nothing for someone waiting almost 2 years for a high end all touch... with the next version being a slider... cant exactly be considered all touch and may even make some people jump ship because of a sliding keyboard they may never use and add weight and depth to the device.

of course we will see how it turns out... I myself will be going for the next all touch high end, whether it has a keyboard or not, but preferably would just have an al touch high end now...

the frustration is there.. and i get it... the other thing i do get is blackberry is no longer targetting the average consumer and so a high end all touch may never come whicih is a shame... who knows what will happen in the future.

anyway, think of the comment you replied to as a massive compliment to the z30!!! and a want for a high end upgrade!
    05-22-15 05:41 AM
    Ever heard of free speech you tool?
    09-30-17 09:54 AM
    Ever heard of free speech you tool?
    You've dug up a discussion from more than 2 years ago.
    09-30-17 10:49 AM