I'm losing my mind, and AT&T refuses to help me with troubleshooting because I'm using an unlocked VZW BB. Figures.

Back story: I purchased a used unlocked VZW BlackBerry Tour. I'm on AT&T so I followed all the steps to get it working, including switching to a BB data plan. The phone was working just fine up until I attemped to set up my voicemail today. I pressed 1 & held it down and it called the # of the previous owner. So I pressed ##000000 and changed the number to mine. Ever since then my phone is stuck on edge. No more EDGE for me, and I called AT&T and they said there is nothing they can do.

HELP, ANYONE?
    09-08-11 11:45 PM
    Did you ever get 3G on the Tour? I am not sure if its capable of getting ATT's 3G. ATT does not have an authorized OS for this phone because it was never released by them. I know for a fact that you won't be able to get 3G on T-Mobile with that phone. As for voicemail, to get it to work, you should enter 1-888-288-8893. That's the voicemail number for ATT. I am not sure if visual vm will ever work on that phone with ATT's network. Honestly, my advice would be to sell the phone to someone who uses Sprint or Verizon and get a used 9780 or Curve. It is really never simple to try to get all of the features from a CDMA phone working properly on a GSM network in the US.
    09-08-11 11:52 PM
    Now a days your better off using a carriers approved device. I never understood why people buy one carriers device and activate on another's. These devices are set up just for the carrier with carrier specific software and now as you have learned no support. As others have said buy a ATT device or switch carriers good luck. .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-09-11 05:42 AM
    Did you ever get 3G on the Tour? I am not sure if its capable of getting ATT's 3G. ATT does not have an authorized OS for this phone because it was never released by them. I know for a fact that you won't be able to get 3G on T-Mobile with that phone. As for voicemail, to get it to work, you should enter 1-888-288-8893. That's the voicemail number for ATT. I am not sure if visual vm will ever work on that phone with ATT's network. Honestly, my advice would be to sell the phone to someone who uses Sprint or Verizon and get a used 9780 or Curve. It is really never simple to try to get all of the features from a CDMA phone working properly on a GSM network in the US.
    When ATT took over in my neck of the woods they offered me a brand new Torch 9800 over my Tour. The Tour was not able to use the full capabilities of the 3G at all. I never did receieve 3G signals on the Tour.
    09-09-11 06:37 AM
    As others have said buy a ATT device or switch carriers good luck
    Or at least the OP should have gotten a GSM released BB which would've probably been easier then setting up an unlocked CDMA phone.
    09-09-11 07:24 AM
    There are a few misconceptions here.

1. The Tour is a CDMA/GSM phone. It has quad band GSM capabilities. It will work on AT&T, however it will only be EDGE, not 3G.

2. AT&T does not offer the Tour, so they have no help available on it. They do not assist you with phones that are not offered by them, which makes total sense. You are on your own when you use a different providers unlocked device.

3. Using an AT&T branded device is much easier, but is not totally necessary. As long as you have the proper bands, you will be OK.

I would call AT&T, and find out what the local voicemail number is, and just enter that. They should be able to give you that information, regardless of the phone you are using.
    09-09-11 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD