I posted this in the Tour section but I suppose it's more of a generic BB question so I'd like to post it here as well.

This just started a few days ago. The battery drains unusually fast. Ok, I'm not sure if it's me so I just recharge it. However, I almost wake up late for work because my alarm does not go off. This happens two days in a row even though I make extra sure the second night that the BB is 100% charged before I go to bed AND shut the thing off AND set the alarm. I wake (with a back up alarm clock set) and check the BB and yep, it's dead again and needs to be charged. I've also noticed the little time clock on my BB keeps spinning even though I've done numorous battery pulls. It's driving me nuts.

Is it my BB or is the battery itself just done and in need of replacement?

I mean, how in the world does a battery drain when the bb isn't even ON in the first place?? That's what confuses the **** out of me in the first place. Is that really the battery at fault or the phone?

I'm using a BB Tour, by the way, with a standard battery, issued straight from factory.

Also, it's not in Bedside mode at night. It's completely shut off so that it only is supposed to come back on when it's time for the alarm to go off. I don't know how long I have had this Tour. Whenever the Tours came out, I know I got this only a few months later, if that helps. Original battery.
    08-30-10 08:30 AM
    Did you installed any new themes or apps when the problem started to occur? Blackberry's never really turn off unless you take the battery out, so that's why it's losing charge while "off".
    08-30-10 08:41 AM
    .. I've also noticed the little time clock on my BB keeps spinning even though I've done numorous battery pulls. It's driving me nuts.
    You might try to figure this one out, and it will probably solve your problem. Me, I can't really understand what you mean by the little time clock but perhaps someone else does.
    08-30-10 08:48 AM
    You might try to figure this one out, and it will probably solve your problem. Me, I can't really understand what you mean by the little time clock but perhaps someone else does.
    I believe they are referring to the "hourglass". This usually happens when your application memory is too low or too many apps are open.
    08-30-10 08:58 AM
    It sounds like the "hourglass" or "busy" indicator to me also. That definitely sounds like a place to start solving your problem.

If you haven't installed anything new lately, and are still experiencing this, what I'd personally do is back up the device, wipe it and reinstall whatever OS you want, and then restore the stuff you backed up and see if that helps.

Weak signal seems to burn through the battery life also since it hunts for signal, but that doesn't really sound like the issue here this time...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 10:28 AM
    Is there any reason why you don't just leave it on the charger all night? I put mine on the charger at night and leave it there until I am ready to leave the house in the morning. It cannot overcharge, and Li ion batteries do not have a memory. It is best to top them off.
    08-30-10 10:36 AM
    I agree with lak. Just leave it on the charger overnight.

08-30-10 10:43 AM
    One other thing is to try a different battery. Swing by a Sprint store and ask them if they have one you can use. They just might if it will keep you from getting a warranty replacement - which is also an option if it continues.
    08-30-10 10:52 AM
    Ok, I'm home from work on my lunch hour and from say, 9am to before 1pm, my battery already ran down and I really didn't use my phone that much at all. It's never run down that fast before now. The only things I've changed recently were: updating BB Appworld, updating freaking FB app and I think that's it. I deleted App World, I keep closing down the FB app each time I'm done. I'm on Opera Mini a lot and have noticed it's very slow which it never was up til a few days ago, now it really lags and that started when all these battery problems started. Do you all think it's the battery or my phone or an application problem?

It can't be Opera, I've been using that forever with no problems. Cleared out the history, etc. I hate to replace the battery to find out it's the phone but damn, that's a short life for a charge isn't it?
    08-30-10 01:28 PM
    I think if you haven't changed anything, it is the battery. You could delete the FB app to see if it's causing problems. I'd still try to get another battery from one your provider's stores to check that. Make sure you're clearing your cache - menu>options>cache operations.

08-30-10 01:44 PM
    I am going through a similar situation with my 9530. The battery drains pretty quickly but whem it gets to about 50% it restarts itself. And it will either continually restart over and over without successfully even getting to the home screen until it has no more battery to even restart itself OR it will boot back up within a couple restarts and as soon as the homescreen is FINALLY up it says "battery drainedm shutting down handheld!" my phone will not work properly again unitl the charger is in it.

08-30-10 10:15 PM
    Darth, it sounds like you need a warranty replacement. Call your provider to get one, make sure you make a back-up file, but it it's ok when plugged in, you should be able to use the DM device switcher.

08-30-10 10:37 PM
    I am going up to Verizon tomorrow. If they replace my device it will be Storm number 5! Maybe I can test a different battery instead and go from there

08-31-10 12:50 AM
    I posted this in the Tour section but I suppose it's more of a generic BB question so I'd like to post it here as well.

This just started a few days ago. The battery drains unusually fast. Ok, I'm not sure if it's me so I just recharge it. However, I almost wake up late for work because my alarm does not go off. This happens two days in a row even though I make extra sure the second night that the BB is 100% charged before I go to bed AND shut the thing off AND set the alarm. I wake (with a back up alarm clock set) and check the BB and yep, it's dead again and needs to be charged. I've also noticed the little time clock on my BB keeps spinning even though I've done numorous battery pulls. It's driving me nuts.

Is it my BB or is the battery itself just done and in need of replacement?

I mean, how in the world does a battery drain when the bb isn't even ON in the first place?? That's what confuses the **** out of me in the first place. Is that really the battery at fault or the phone?

I'm using a BB Tour, by the way, with a standard battery, issued straight from factory.

Also, it's not in Bedside mode at night. It's completely shut off so that it only is supposed to come back on when it's time for the alarm to go off. I don't know how long I have had this Tour. Whenever the Tours came out, I know I got this only a few months later, if that helps. Original battery.
    LeeJuly4,
    I know just what you are referring to. I have the exact same issue. I just had my device swapped and it is still continuing.

The clock she refers to is the little busy clock box that appears in the center of the screen when the bb is "busy".

I have noticed SEVERE drain on my bb battery. Note my BB battery is barely a year old. I've had BB's for years and their batteries are awesome. There is something draining this battery. When the phone crashes, the screen goes black, the red light stays lit, then the hour glass (a real hour glass) appears in the center of the screen. Then it starts the ever-so-fast boot up sequence. When it completes it beeps at me and says I'm dead. The Sprint logo appears taking up the entire screen, then the bb screen appears with the icons and the radio off, because the battery is too low for use.

I'm frustrated. I have the following apps loaded on the device, just freshly loaded last night:
    - BB App World
    - Gems XXL
    - Bible.tv - You Version
    - Opera browser
    - Google Maps 4.4.0
    - Sprint Navigation

That's it. Nothing fancy, nothing crazy. My device just rebooted this morning. I had over 75% left on the battery as of the "crash". When it finished rebooting, there were NO blocks left in the battery and it was red.

This is a brand new device. Replacing the battery is not going to cure the crashes, and the battery doesn't die that quickly. I'm sorry we've all used bb's for many years and they have the best battery life of any email enabled phone out there.

Help...Matt.
    10-20-10 12:26 PM
    HAve you tried a fresh wipe? perhaps leave a fresh copy on all night and see if the problem is still there, and no apps.
    10-20-10 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD