I use three of the IM services: AIM, Yahoo, and Windows Live. I like each of RIM's native instant messengers and use all three. I've tried some of the multiple-protocol apps but found none of them to my liking: the native apps are fast, organized, and look great. However, its somewhat tedious to manage all three of them: logging in, checking each list, etc.

I can choose to show all IM "conversations" in the Messages list on my BlackBerry, but I'm wondering why there isn't an option to simply see all IM contacts and conversations on one list. All the native messengers look the same and seem to be built/maintained by RIM, so it seems like it would be pretty easy to have a combined "Buddies" list just like the "Messages" list, combining most or all contacts from all of the messengers.

Does any model of BlackBerry or version of the software do this? Is there a way to simulate this with the current software? What are your thoughts/opinions on the idea of a unified messenger contact/control list?

EDIT: Another useful feature would be a combined "status" option. Updating the phone status to "away" or "available" would update the status in each of the logged-in messengers, rather than having to update for each one manually.
    Last edited by virx61; 11-13-10 at 03:59 PM.
    11-13-10 12:46 AM
    the apps, while integrate w/ the message app, is seperate. you must switch to each one to see your contacts.

the other option is to use a 3rd party, but it seems you've already tried them all. beejive, im+, nimbuzz, palringo, instango, trillian, etc.
    11-13-10 12:14 PM
    I was thinking there was slightly better integration with BB6 (vs. previous OS versions) and it's social feeds. Even so, they are all separate apps and work independently.
    11-14-10 08:08 AM
    Okay, I caved and got the BeeJiveIM 30 day trial, and it is MUCH better than the free I'm apps I've tried. No wonder everyone loves it. I may just fork over the cash for the full version after the trial (dunno how much $ it is.)

However, I still think it would be great for RIM to support all of their messengers in a unified list. Maybe they'll do it in a future release, but BeeJive is looking quite good to me in the meantime.

Thanks for the replies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 01:27 PM
    Beejive was the first app I ever paid for on my BlackBerry 8300, 3 years ago. Paid $19.99 for a user license. I transferred it to my 9700 when I upgraded, and now my son uses it on my old 8300 because I don't use it anymore. It is a great app, totally worth it if you use multiple IM services. I don't, anymore; nobody I know really uses them. I use BBM, e-mail, and a few text messages to stay in touch.
    11-17-10 02:08 PM
    Not surprised at BeeJive being the first app you ever bought. It is quality stuff: reliable, featureful, and clean-looking. Glad to here you're able to get by with basic services now though.

BeeJiveIM is $9.99-$14.99 now, perfectly reasonable for such a good app. A couple of minor downsides to using it I've noticed though: can't sign out or anything else special by clicking on the icon in the home screen, and buddies' online presence isn't shown in my BlackBerry contacts list, all of which the native apps do. Understandable though since its a third-party developer.

I'm still trying out the other free combined messengers (partly in case my trial period runs out before I'm ready to pay for BeeJive.) I've tried IM+, Nimbuzz, and I think Palingro. About to try Fuze. Haven't found/tried Instango or Trillian. What's anyone's favorite alt to BeeJive?

11-18-10 02:12 PM
    My favorite alternative to Beejive is Trillian. It's still in beta I believe, so at the moment it's free. Works great and looks nice. It also has a Windows client which is wonderful.

With that being said, I bought Beejive about a year ago before Trillian was around. It's a great app, and once Trillian starts charging I will have to switch back to Beejive.
    11-18-10 03:44 PM
    It appears Trillian for BlackBerry is now out of beta and is selling in the app store at an introductory price of $4.99. Seems like that's to undercut the current competition and get a good BB fanbase going. Its working for me: I've been satisfied with Trillian for PC before and I've heard good things, so I may spring for that instead of BeeJive when my trial runs out.

Edit: On the other hand, I may just pay the extra 5-10 bucks and get BeeJive since I already use and trust it. Tough call.

Last edited by virx61; 11-21-10 at 08:22 PM.
    11-21-10 08:03 PM
    It appears Trillian for BlackBerry is now out of beta and is selling in the app store at an introductory price of $4.99. Seems like that's to undercut the current competition and get a good BB fanbase going. Its working for me: I've been satisfied with Trillian for PC before and I've heard good things, so I may spring for that instead of BeeJive when my trial runs out.

Edit: On the other hand, I may just pay the extra 5-10 bucks and get BeeJive since I already use and trust it. Tough call.

Version 1.1 of Trillian is in beta and is still free. The version you're seeing in the CB app store is version 1.0.
    11-22-10 08:19 AM
    Thanks! I was able to find and download beta 1.1. Hope its awesome.

11-22-10 01:13 PM
    I found a way to have contacts across all instant messengers in one place. I don't know why I didn't remember it before!

All you have to do is go into each messenger of choice, push the RIM button on any contact, and select "Show On Home Screen." This puts an icon representing the contact and showing online status in the Instant Messaging folder. Do this for all of the desired contacts and there you have it. Icons can even be moved to any other folder of your choice.
    11-25-10 08:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD