Am I that stupid or has someone had this problem before?

How is the caller ID in the BB selected when receiving a call from a phone number that is shared by several contacts in your Contact list ?

2 examples:

In my case I have one company with 4 employees that have unique email addresses and unique cell phone numbers but the SAME company Land Line phone number when calling me. This causes my BB to select only one Contact name to display for the caller ID when I would rather have just a company name or the employee I most often talk to displayed. Is this possible ?? I cannot figure out how this certain caller ID is picked over the other 3.

Oddly I have the SAME problem with my own home phone number....my wife and son and daughter all have different cell phones but the SAME home phone number. Do I really have to pull the house phone numbers out of each of their Contact list entries and assign it to my wife's contact entry as having the only home phone number ? If it where her picture that showed up already I guess I would be happy since she the one that calls me 95% of the time from that phone.

I have tired one logical suggestion to include a common Company Name for these cases. The idea being that if the BB sees the same phone number in multiple contacts and that have a common Company name it would then show only the Company name instead of a unselectable caller ID. All sounds logical but on my 8330 is does not work.

Also...Contact list sort order does not seem to alter the selection of who's caller ID gets shown. I cannot find out what determines what caller ID will show up but it's always the same one. Who might be able to guess as how this can be altered? I would be willing to add a Contact entry that simply says Home Calling or Company XYZ calling if I could find a way to force it to be selected.

thanks much for any info...I have tried to find this one out on my own but to no avail. Obviously I can live with this rather minor aggravation if that's the way it is.

update
    see post # 5 for a workaround I have found....
    Last edited by mcycleboy; 09-21-08 at 06:55 PM. Reason: workaround found
    09-20-08 12:49 PM
    Encountered the same issues as you and could not find any rhyme or reason as to which name gets chosen to display. I solved it by removing the common number from all but one of my contacts, which is pretty much what you suggest.
    09-20-08 12:55 PM
    It's a matter of number matching. All the phone is doing is matching the incoming number to the contact stored in the address book. I think you should create a separate contact for that one number instead of adding it to each person that has access to that number. For example, create a contact called Home, for the home number, or Work for the work number. To me it does not make sense to put the same number under more than one contact.
    09-20-08 12:56 PM
    Yeah this is annoying but the work around is simple. If I have 3 contacts that share a land line I create 4 contact entries and isolate the commun number to the 4th contact.

I also share a ring tone between the contacts to conserve communality.

Edit: ok I'm a slow typist on the bus. Sorry for the repeat info.
    Last edited by Sarcasm Detector; 09-20-08 at 01:11 PM.
    09-20-08 01:08 PM
    I might have discovered my own solution to my original problem.

If you have lets say 3 business contacts from Company XYZ who share same land-line number....Contacts A B and C. Let say when any one of them calls you from the company's land-line, B's Caller ID is the one that always comes up. To make a generic caller ID for Company XYZ you first create a completely new Contract record for Contact B moving all of his information to that new record...now you can use B's old record for a Generic Caller ID record which will simply Display Company XYZ and the phone number. Now when any of the 3 contacts call you from the company it will simply show Company XYZ. This same process will work with your own home if you have other members living there that have contact records for their cell phones and email addrresses but share the same land-line phone.

Does anyone know a better way to do this ??
    09-21-08 06:47 PM
    That's what I suggested for a solution in post #3. A separate contact for the company land line.
    09-21-08 07:06 PM
    If I read your idea...you suggest that you have one record only have the number and take the number out of the other records so the BB will pick only the genric contact.
    My solution will allow you to have multiple contacts each having the same shared phone number so outgoing calls can be made on each of them to that number. So it is a bit different than your solution is. I was looking for a way to have my cake and eat it too.
    09-21-08 07:27 PM
    You sure like to make things complicated.
    09-21-08 07:33 PM
    I'm pretty sure I didn't see this above. What I do is company XYZ gets their own entry, main line, billing/ physical address. All employees sharing that line get only email addresses in their entry. Employees sharing the main line but with different extensions get the same number with the X plus extension.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-08 08:09 PM
    I faced the same problem, I did what most people suggested which is creating a separate contact. Ex (home, company x, compnay y) just wanted to share mu thoughts and learn from the community if this is the right solution.
    09-21-08 08:26 PM
    I toyed with this trying to figure out how bb picks the number.
    I think, and i could be wrong, i brings up the contact info on the first person you put the number in for. ie: i put my daughter's info in my phone first, with our home number. I then put in my son, then myself (don't ask why i have myself in my phone), it always came up with my daughter first. Then i deleted her contact info, and put her in again with her new cell and home numbers, and my son now comes up when i get a call from home.
    09-21-08 08:28 PM
    Read this thread and doesn't completely solve my problem. Many folks advise you to have a contact called "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) so that first responders can notify someone if they find you incapacitated and have access to your cell phone. Those numbers in ICE contact are all in other contacts - but when one of them calls me, the "ICE" contact comes up in caller ID. None of the suggested fixes solves this problem.
    05-06-09 01:36 PM
    the address book, Blackberry, Outlook or otherwise is not a CRM. I have always stored the individuals (with their DDI, mobile, email, etc), and a seperate Company record with the shared switchboard number, generic email (sales, info..), etc

With home (other such shared numbers) I ususally store the shared number against the person I talk to most - or both/all and not worry about what the incoming caller id says
    Last edited by shanek83; 05-07-09 at 02:21 AM.
    05-07-09 02:18 AM
    I tried the ICE thing for a while but couldn't stand having to scroll to "ICE" for the person I called most, and having "ICE" show up when that person calls, and having "ICE" in my Outlook address book!!

I use the lock-screen owner details thing on the BB instead
    05-07-09 02:20 AM
    I tried the ICE thing for a while but couldn't stand having to scroll to "ICE" for the person I called most, and having "ICE" show up when that person calls, and having "ICE" in my Outlook address book!!

I use the lock-screen owner details thing on the BB instead
    This is what I do to combat that.
    Title: <blank>
    First: ***ICE <Wife's first name>
    Last: <Our last name>

End result is "***ICE Wilma Devlyn16"

this makes the contact jump to the top of the contact list (as symbols and numbers are sorted before letters).

Obviously if you sort by last name or company you need to add the ***ICE to that field
    05-07-09 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD