04-07-10 08:37 AM
32 12
tools
    Many times people have asked if they can have multiple contact folders (Friends / Colleagues / Family, etc) in Outlook, and still have it sync to their BlackBerry - BES USERS!

Well, I've tested a few things, and I've got it to work; FOR BES USERS!

1. In your main Contact folder in Outlook, add / create the respective contact(s)...

2. Wait for it to sync to your BlackBerry...

3. Verify that it's on your BlackBerry, create another contact folder in Outlook

4. Drag and drop 'said' contact from the Contacts folder, to the new folder you created...

5. You will noticed that the contact is STILL on your BlackBerry, even after 5-10 minutes...

6. As a test, edit / delete the contact from the BlackBerry OR Outlook, and you will noticed that it updates in Outlook, irrespective of the fact the contact is NOT in the main Contact folder...
    Last edited by navilyn; 06-13-07 at 07:03 AM.
    06-13-07 06:56 AM
    Interesting. I guess this wouldn't work for BIS users? I have sub-folders for contractors, suppliers, etc that would be nice to sync. But I'm just happy that I got the important people under Contacts on the BB! LOL.
    06-13-07 09:58 PM
    Try it! Move said contacts to the main contacts folder, sync. Check they are on the BlackBerry, then move them back to the said folder, and sync again to make sure they are STILL on the BlackBerry...

Am not 100% sure if it would work, not tested it myself, but you could be our tester for BIS - LOL
    06-13-07 10:01 PM
    Sweet, Thanks!
    07-07-07 03:18 AM
    THANKS for this!
    07-09-07 10:03 PM
    Do you know of a way to "filter" based on which contact list a user wants to see on the blackberry? For instance, in your example what would the user have to do on the blackberry to only see members of the contacts group, and not the Colleagues group? I have a few "sub-sets" of contacts similar to your colleagues group, but I only want the main contacts group to display on my blackberry.

thanks
    08-07-07 04:05 PM
    Create categories, and then on the BlackBerry, open the address book / menu / filter and select said category...
    08-07-07 08:34 PM
    Navilyn (or anyone else who may know the answer) -

First of all... this looks really interesting, and I'm going to have to try this when I get home and can work on my home Outlook contacts, as I'm using BIS, not BES (and from what I read, this works for BIS also?)

For the moment, anyway, I have contacts set up in "categories" that I can filter for different things (finding a name for Email, SMS, etc...).... Sometimes, I have trouble remembering which category I put someone in (for instance a "friend" who is also a "work colleague"),,, how can I get "un-filter" back to "all"(everyone in my address book) instead of the filtered category?

Muchas Gracias in advance!!!
    08-17-07 01:55 PM
    Does anyone know how to go about this in Notes?

Many times people have asked if they can have multiple contact folders (Friends / Colleagues / Family, etc) in Outlook, and still have it sync to their BlackBerry - BES USERS!

Well, I've tested a few things, and I've got it to work; FOR BES USERS!

1. In your main Contact folder in Outlook, add / create the respective contact(s)...

2. Wait for it to sync to your BlackBerry...

3. Verify that it's on your BlackBerry, create another contact folder in Outlook

4. Drag and drop 'said' contact from the Contacts folder, to the new folder you created...

5. You will noticed that the contact is STILL on your BlackBerry, even after 5-10 minutes...

6. As a test, edit / delete the contact from the BlackBerry OR Outlook, and you will noticed that it updates in Outlook, irrespective of the fact the contact is NOT in the main Contact folder...
    10-16-07 04:20 PM
    Naviwilliams,
    That is so awesome I was looking how to create groups in my Outlook on my Curve. I did what you suggested and it works perfect. I am so grateful.
    woodstocktennisnut says thanks
    01-09-08 07:27 PM
    Well we're (BIS Users) are SOL - again
    02-01-08 11:20 PM
    that is the point of a BES server!!
    02-09-08 07:03 PM
    Couple of questions not really pertaining to the BB persay.

1. How do you rename the contacts in Outlook. Ex. Contacts=My People

2. Is it true Outlook is no more in Microsoft Office 2007?

I have Vista and it keeps talking about Windows Mail and not a trace of Outlook.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me???
    02-27-08 09:28 PM
    Sorry, but newbie question..."what is BIS"?
    03-12-08 11:33 PM
    I have my contacts set up using the catergory system since I use BIS and it works great. BIS means you get your e-mail through internet not a company server.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-08 06:51 PM
    You're correct. Window's Vista has replaced Outlook with Window's Mail. It takes a little getting used to but I love it. I have it on my desktop though and I sync my BB to my laptop which still has Outlook on it.
    04-04-08 08:41 AM
    hey does anybody know how to download wallpapers to the blackberry if you dont have internet service in the blackberry??????

is it possible, if so how??
    04-04-08 09:50 AM
    First post everyone...
    I am new to BB. I have an 8830 and just bought a 8130 (Pearl) for my wife. We use one PC with two separate outlook .pst (profiles). We both use MS Outlook under our individual profiles (log in's) on the same PC; we want to maintain separate calenders and contacts. Logged in under my wife's user name, and using BB desktop manger, I tried to configure the synch in the BB Desktop manager, MS Outlook is not an option listed in the drop down menu for her, <none>,Outlook Express were the only options. I logged out of her profile and into my profile and MS Outlook synchs up with my 8830 without a problem.

Does anyone have an idea on how we can maintain two separate BB, two profiles with MS Outlook on one PC?

Also, one last question - what software is available, preferably freeware, so I can view .doc and .pdf files? I have a ton of word doc that I use on my job and i have not been able to view them. They are loaded on the microSD card, but not viewable...

Thanks a million,
    Jon
    Last edited by jonizdo; 04-05-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: clarification
    04-05-08 03:28 PM
    Try going to Syncronize on BB Desktop manager,
    then go to Confirguration then chose Config Sync
    Select address book
    Choose advanced
    Map Folder
    you can manually choose what folders in contacts that you would like to sync (friends, family, neighbors, ect..)

it is really late for me, so I apologize if I left out a step
    04-18-08 01:29 AM
    Navilyn (or anyone else who may know the answer) -
    Sometimes, I have trouble remembering which category I put someone in (for instance a "friend" who is also a "work colleague"),,, how can I get "un-filter" back to "all"(everyone in my address book) instead of the filtered category?

Muchas Gracias in advance!!!
    I know this is REALLY late but I was having the same problem and found your post. Having found no answers and after playing with this addictive new toy for almost two hours I realized how to do it.

Go to:

Addresses -> Filter -> Clear Selection

This will take you back to your screen that shows all your Contacts.
    04-24-08 08:32 PM
    You're correct. Window's Vista has replaced Outlook with Window's Mail. It takes a little getting used to but I love it. I have it on my desktop though and I sync my BB to my laptop which still has Outlook on it.
    NO, Outlook EXPRESS was renamed to Windows Mail in Vista. Outlook is still in Office 2007. I use Outlook 2007 it came with my copy of Office Professional 2007. I do not know if the BB will sync with Windows Mail (Outlook Express) or not. I don't think it was made to though, seeing as how most businesses use Office and Outlook.
    Last edited by b1gg134; 04-28-08 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    04-28-08 07:09 PM
    how do i set up 2 bb to sync to diffrent contact list in out look I dont want all my girlfriend contacts on my phone
    04-29-08 03:45 PM
    hey does anybody know how to download wallpapers to the blackberry if you dont have internet service in the blackberry??????

is it possible, if so how??
    I use the Desktop Manager and hook my BB to my computer with a USB cable. This lets you do a lot of other things as well. Software updates and backups to name a couple.

I'm a newbie also but I've been searching and digging around and I'm glad I found this place.
    06-09-08 04:42 PM
    NO, Outlook EXPRESS was renamed to Windows Mail in Vista. Outlook is still in Office 2007. I use Outlook 2007 it came with my copy of Office Professional 2007. I do not know if the BB will sync with Windows Mail (Outlook Express) or not. I don't think it was made to though, seeing as how most businesses use Office and Outlook.
    I'd be interested to know this as well, as I dont use Outlook (new Vista PC)... if one does not use Outlook, is there another email option out there to use with a Vista OS and a BB?

Please keep in mind that I do not currently own a BB, but am waiting patiently for the B3 (BlackBerryBold)...
    06-09-08 08:36 PM
    I have my contacts set up using the catergory system since I use BIS and it works great. BIS means you get your e-mail through internet not a company server.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Please explain how you are able to wirelessly sync your (categorized) contacts using BIS and not BES.

Many thanks.
    06-10-08 08:38 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD