I have avoided smart phones for two years but now need one. I am a "Muggle" about to enter that world. Blackberry is the best, but the monthly costs seem very high. As far as I could tell, it would be impossible to own one and nearly never use it for less than $150. Is this true? Should I get a Torch or is there something to wait for?
    01-27-11 08:36 PM
    I have avoided smart phones for two years but now need one. I am a "Muggle" about to enter that world. Blackberry is the best, but the monthly costs seem very high. As far as I could tell, it would be impossible to own one and nearly never use it for less than $150. Is this true? Should I get a Torch or is there something to wait for?
    i would wait with this leak:

Exclusive: CDMA BlackBerry Roadmap 2011 - Montana, Monaco, Sedona, Malibu, BlackBerry 6.1 Evolution and more! | CrackBerry.com
    01-27-11 10:44 PM
    The choices are to sign a contract and pay little for the Blackberry or buy the Blackberry for full price and be contract free. Almost all carriers offer this. It is very possible to have an unlimited text, talk and web plan for around 45 to 60 dollars a month.

Do some research (google) and be sure of what you are getting before you commit. And take some time to go to your local bb dealer and try a few out.
    It wouldn't hurt to find an inexpensive entry level device to learn on before spending huge money on the flagship. There is a lot to be experienced on an even an older curve if you are new. Happy Hunting!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 07:36 AM
    One other factor for you as a Berry newbie...data plans/usage

Typically, most carriers offer an unlimited data plan and a tiered data plan. Or one but not the other, etc.

If you have the choice, for now, I would get the unlimited. Until you are well versed in what apps you will use, how much data you will consume, etc., you would be better off right now not having to worry about trying to determine how much data you have used, though it is not difficult to track, with most carriers.
    01-28-11 08:27 AM
    Blackberry, the best?
    01-28-11 08:32 AM
    Blackberry, the best?
    I bet the OP got a lot of info from your post.

The "best" BB as of right now is the Torch 9800 or Bold series lineup. There have been a few leaked pics/specs of the newer ones coming out possibly later this year which are supposedly running 800ghz and 1.2ghz processors. If you you must get a BB now then I would recommend the Torch or a Bold(depending on your carrier).
    01-28-11 10:37 AM
    I have unlimited data and pay less than $90 a month. The phone was free too for signing a two year contract. I mean it is expensive to have a Smartphone, but you can have one for under $150. I would go look at some BBs, plans and carriers and see which kinds you like. The Montana, Monaco, Malibu, etc.. will be better than what's out now but that those could be long time waiting.
    Last edited by aawilson; 01-28-11 at 11:26 AM.
    01-28-11 10:54 AM
    If a Blackberry is what you want I would definitely wait for the newer devices in the pipeline, or get something now but on a one year contract. The bulk of the monthly cost for any smartphone is going to be the voice plan. The data service, which is what you need to take advantage of the email and internet capabilities, is an add-on at $15-$30 extra or so per month depending on the carrier and data allotment. If you don't expect to be a heavy user of the voice and data plans you can easily get a plan for well under $150/month. Most carriers have a low end voice plan for around $40-50/month and a low end data plan for around $15 or so extra. If the only types of data you plan on making use of on your Blackberry is email, occasional web browsing, and the odd internet driven app here and there a low end plan of around 200MB or so might be sufficient.
    01-28-11 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD