Hi all, new to the forum so hey!

Quick question..

I currently use my MSN messenger on my blackberry everyday. Is it secure using this, i.e are my coversations recorded or can be sourced anywhere for someone to read ?

Help!

Thanks
    09-03-10 03:17 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-04-10 04:16 AM
    Anyone help :-(

09-04-10 04:17 AM
    Like anything else done on the web, there's always a chance it could be intercepted.
    09-04-10 04:51 AM
  5. T
    It's not just the web. We used to get snail mail from relatives living behind the "Iron Curtain," and it was obvious the letters had been opened and read. And those doing the spying weren't very concerned about hiding it either, seeing how sloppily the envelopes were glued back together.
    09-04-10 06:53 AM
    It's not just the web. We used to get snail mail from relatives living behind the "Iron Curtain," and it was obvious the letters had been opened and read. And those doing the spying weren't very concerned about hiding it either, seeing how sloppily the envelopes were glued back together.
    Quite sad, and something I don't think most tree hugging, communist loving hippies/actors/musicians understand.
    09-04-10 07:04 AM
    Well, they're both encrypted because the data is routed through BIS. With wifi, it makes a private vpn so it cannot be read either.
    09-04-10 12:50 PM
    Though the MSN protocol itself is unencrypted and messages usually go through the web in cleartext form (as they would if you logged in to MSN Messenger on your computer), iMiiTH is right about everything going through BIS being encrypted, so on your BB you should be fine.

If you're concerned about messages being read on your computer, there's software you can get to encrypt it AFAIK.

Though, I think that for someone to read the messages without encryption from a device connected to a WiFi network, they'd have to be connected to that same network anyway, so as long as your home network is safe, so are messages sent to and from your computer.
    09-04-10 12:55 PM
    Here's my take on this. If what you are messaging is that important, don't use anything made by Microsoft.
    09-04-10 12:56 PM
    Thanks for your input guys.. I always use my blackberry for MSN, so thanks for the advice regarding routing through BIS..
    09-06-10 06:42 AM
    BIS is not secure folks. Only an email sent from a blackberry address to a blackberry address would be considered secure, since it stays encrypted and internal. Your MSN chat is going through MSN servers, and as wide open to attack as anything else out on web. Here's a page that should make that clear:
    KB03652-Comparing BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server features

"Email messages sent between the BlackBerry Internet Service*and the BlackBerry Internet Service subscriber's*BlackBerry smartphone are not encrypted. When transmitted over the wireless network, the email messages are subject to the existing or available network security model(s)."

Email is not secure, web browsing is not secure, and IM's are not secure. The only security would be email within a BES enviroment, along with SSL sites such as banking, when you see the lock at the top of the screen.
    09-06-10 08:11 AM
    its MSN, to be honest unless you're someone super wealthy or globally important, the chances of anyone spending the time to steal you MSN chat is 0. BB security is over kill for 99.9% of its owners
    09-06-10 09:20 AM
    So, am I to understand that BlackBerry e-mail is only encrypted over BES, not BIS? So if I set up my GMail on a BB, it won't even have SSL?
    09-06-10 09:34 AM
    Security is never overkill.

09-06-10 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD