I have a question for the BlackBerry masses that I am interested in getting an answer on.

Is RIM / BlackBerry considering adding a native ActiveSync application to the BlackBerry OS to allow MS Push technology as well as MS Exchange Contact, Task, and Calendar syncing directly on the device?

I am finding that a lot of people in my organization are moving away from BlackBerry PDAs because our organization (7000+ employees) has completely drank the Microsoft Kool-Aide and will only support ISA and Exchange for email clients. They are not interested in spending any money for hardware or software just for BlackBerry phones to work in our organization.

This seemed to be an issue in the past when the only phones that work with this technology were Microsoft Windows Mobile phones (yes, I had the XV6700 with WinMo 5). Now with the Apple iPhone, HTC G1, Palm Pre WebOS, and Palm Treo Software all supporting ActiveSync technology natively, it does not seem feasible for RIM / BlackBerry to force customers to purchase expensive and additional equipment to be able to get your PIM Data along with Exchange Email.

Does anyone know if it's in the books for RIM to write and ActiveSync client to work natively with their phone or am I just wishing in one hand while **** in the other?

P.S. I am aware of third party applications that "simulate" ActiveSync for BlackBerry (specifically AstraSync formerly ActiveBerry) but these applications cost additional money and are not as integrated into the phone as the other manufacture's ActiveSync technology is. With an application like AstraSync my email is in the AstraSync application, notifications are not the same as the BlackBerry notifications and I cannot customize alerts, I can't attach images to emails, I can't open URLs directly out of the email... It's just lacking in every way. Why should I have to pay $50.00 for that when an Apple, Microsoft, Android, or Palm customer get it for free?????
    07-14-09 03:49 PM
    RIM won't make money from ActiveSync on BB's

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 04:09 PM
    My company has already notified us that they will eventually do this and I now know of 3 very large companies of 2000+ employees who will be doing the same thing.
    07-14-09 04:17 PM
    How can your employers justify the costs of buying everyone new devices? Not only that..but training users in addition.

07-14-09 04:25 PM
    How can your employers justify the costs of buying everyone new devices? Not only that..but training users in addition.

Long-term it would still be more cost-effective than BES hardware upgrades/licensing fees.
    07-14-09 04:36 PM

As someone stated, the long term savings makes the switch worth it. No more license fees, elimination of multiple dedicated BES admin roles, plus the heavily subsidized prices on the new devices makes numbers work out.
    07-14-09 04:58 PM
    I just think that it is really cutting into the BlackBerry business when people are looking to sync with Microsoft Exchange for work. What reason would a company that does not have BES have to get BES when they can setup the security they want with ISA and Exchange for all the devices that use ActiveSync.

I would think BlackBerry would want to open up an ActiveSync client just to compete with the other smartphone devices on the market.
    07-15-09 10:39 AM
    I just think that it is really cutting into the BlackBerry business when people are looking to sync with Microsoft Exchange for work. What reason would a company that does not have BES have to get BES when they can setup the security they want with ISA and Exchange for all the devices that use ActiveSync.

I would think BlackBerry would want to open up an ActiveSync client just to compete with the other smartphone devices on the market.

I agree but they don't believe ActiveSync is a threat to their business. They are very wrong, admittedly, the greater percentage of customers will choose a BES implementation if they decide to go with the BB platform but as stated, it's getting harder and harder to justify the expense.

Everyone else is catching up quickly and since MS has owned and will continue to own the Enterprise messaging space with Exchange, your device will need to support it's functionality. Lotus notes will also support ActiveSync before the end of 2009. With the two largest messaging players supporting ActiveSync, it will become as ubiquitous as WebKit is for mobile browsers. Everyone seems to get it except RIM.
    07-15-09 12:24 PM
    Most blackberry users in my company will be dumping blackberry as soon as verizon picks up iPhone or the Palm Pre and the main reason is not having activesync. Hopefully I can accomplish this by January. This is my first and last Blackberry. I miss the rave that people have over RIM. The documentation and support is poor, the app store is not searchable from a desktop, remains expensive and the sync method is cumbersome and out of date. Time to update to the 21st century again.. I have owned this for 6 months and will term my contract with penalty just to move away from the monthly surge charge to access my email.
    07-16-09 06:33 AM
    BlackBerry Connection Newsletter - Owners Lounge Edition

Just received from Blackberry Owners lounge this afternoon:

If you own your own BlackBerry smartphone, we've got exciting news you will want to hear. In less than a week Research In Motion will be launching a new product that lets you connect your personal BlackBerry smartphone to your work email, calendar, contact list, notes, memos, and more. Its all synchronized over the airmeaning that you do not need to do a desktop synch to update this information. Just ask your IT department to set up the new BlackBerry Enterprise Server Expressit is a free download.
    03-08-10 03:09 PM
    "Just ask your IT department...". At least I got my laughs for the day.
    08-02-12 04:14 PM
    Funnily enough, I asked my IT dept this very question yesterday - they told me to get a new phone.

(btw, way to revive an old thread!)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-02-12 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD