Hi, my family has a family plan with T-Mobile, but we want to move to ATT for various reasons.

I don't have a blackberry anymore, I have a nexus one, and ATT told me since I'm providing my own phone, I don't have to get on a contract, I can go month to month, which I think is fantastic.

But my mother, sister, and father still have blackberry phones, and I was thinking about unlocking them for 5-10 bucks each, and then getting a month-to-month family plan on ATT with all our phones.

My question is, simply unlocking them won't allow me to use them fully, right? I remember something about the internet not working, due to BIS locking or something.

Can someone please enlighten me on the topic? I don't have a blackberry anymore so I don't remember exactly what the issue would be, and none of my family are very tech savvy.
    09-07-10 07:00 PM
    There shouldn't be any problems using an AT&T SIM. You won't get 3G with AT&T on T-Mobile phones, though.
    09-07-10 07:05 PM
    You will get full data you just need to get the BB dta plan, and you might need to tweak a setting or two, and like Karm said none of your Tmo phones will get 3G, BUT you should get a solid EDGE, and if you got wifi models, you should be golden.
    09-07-10 11:03 PM
    Wow, that's great news! I could have sworn when I posted a year or so ago about unlocking a blackberry because my girlfriend was going to India and wanted to use it during her trip, everyone told me that the data wouldn't work even if she unlocked it. I wonder if it's something to do with North America BIS or something.
    09-09-10 03:08 PM
    Hi, my family has a family plan with T-Mobile, but we want to move to ATT for various reasons.

I don't have a blackberry anymore, I have a nexus one, and ATT told me since I'm providing my own phone, I don't have to get on a contract, I can go month to month, which I think is fantastic.

But my mother, sister, and father still have blackberry phones, and I was thinking about unlocking them for 5-10 bucks each, and then getting a month-to-month family plan on ATT with all our phones.

My question is, simply unlocking them won't allow me to use them fully, right? I remember something about the internet not working, due to BIS locking or something.

Can someone please enlighten me on the topic? I don't have a blackberry anymore so I don't remember exactly what the issue would be, and none of my family are very tech savvy.
    Should be fine, but you will need a BIS or a BES plan for native features to work.
    09-12-10 01:56 PM
    You will need to subscribe to a blackberry data plan. But everything will work except for the 3G. Since it's a different frequency. You'll get 2.5G or EDGE. But all features should be ok. What's the blackberry models of your family?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 04:32 PM
    You will need to subscribe to a blackberry data plan. But everything will work except for the 3G. Since it's a different frequency. You'll get 2.5G or EDGE. But all features should be ok. What's the blackberry models of your family?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    They are models only capable of doing edge anyway. The 8900, 8120, 8100. Now I'm just trying to find the best and cheapest way to unlock them. Any suggestions? Thanks for the replies all.
    09-12-10 08:09 PM
    I used CarrierUnlock for mine. It was $9.99 and I got the code via email in 5 minutes, great service. Look a few post up.
    09-12-10 10:45 PM
    They are models only capable of doing edge anyway. The 8900, 8120, 8100. Now I'm just trying to find the best and cheapest way to unlock them. Any suggestions? Thanks for the replies all.
    i suggest E-bay.. cheapest you can get especially for the models that you mentioned are around 99 cents.
    09-12-10 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD