Hi everyone,

I am a first time poster, so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum or has been discussed previously.

I am from Canada and on the Bell mobility network and am currently under contract. I am moving to Dubai in a few weeks and I am wondering what can happen to my bb/contract.

I am wondering if I can opt out of my contract and take my blackberry with me abroad and put it on another network. I understand that I will have to unlock (are we allowed to talk about this publically on this forum?), but I am not aware of the specifics regarding this.

Additionally, I have connections with Bell executives where I can get a new blackberry to take away with me but I would still have to unlock - can I use my blackberry over there if it is unlocked - I am confused with the recent politics surrounding bbm.

If the phone is unlocked does that mean it can work on any network I just have to get setup with the local network/providers? Furthermore, if that does not work is it possible to take another smart phone over there, unlock ti and place it on that network?

Cheers

-i
    08-20-10 09:47 AM
    It's ok to talk about removing the subsidy lock (unlocking).

What exact model number BlackBerry do you have?

Isn't all BlackBerry data service still currently blocked in the UAE ?

Are you currently under contract with Bell? If so, you will likely have to pay a fee if you break your contract.
    08-20-10 10:59 AM
    It's ok to talk about removing the subsidy lock (unlocking).

What exact model number BlackBerry do you have?

Isn't all BlackBerry data service still currently blocked in the UAE ?

Are you currently under contract with Bell? If so, you will likely have to pay a fee if you break your contract.
    The UAE has threatened to ban BlackBerry Service starting October 11, unless they change their minds.

The OP carrier, Telus, uses CDMA technology. That is common in North America but not Internationaly. Many of the later generation BlackBerry support both CDMA and GSM, giving them World Phone access.

If I understand correctly, you can take a World Phone nearly anywhere and use BlackBerry service, subject to International roaming charges.

The work around is to unlock the BlackBerry and install a local SIM card for Phone/Data service. BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) remains active with your Canadian carrier, but you pay the local rate for data.

Alternatly, if your BlackBerry supports Wifi, you can access your BIS service from any Wifi Hotspot, without incuring data charges.
    08-20-10 01:14 PM
    Thanks everyone. I am with Bell and my phone is a 9630 Tour, but I could get a different one if that would help.

Reed_McLay can you please elaborate on the BIS remaining in Canada. What if I deactivate my Canadian account?
    08-20-10 05:19 PM
    Doh! Bell is also a CDMA technology carrier so the same conditions apply.

Wireless Networks
    Fully-functional World Phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks
    Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks
    Single-Band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
    Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks
    Your Tour will should be fine for use in UAE using GSM/EDGE with a local carrier.

If your move is long term, it would make sense to close out your Canadian carrier account and open a new account with one of the three local BlackBerry supporting carriers.

08-20-10 08:57 PM
    sometimes carriers have policies regarding people going on military deployment or moving overseas. speak to the carrier, as they may let you out of contract if you show proof of the move.
    08-20-10 09:04 PM
    So if I unlock and move away, I need to continue paying my Bell bill to maintain my BIS? Or, can I cancel, unlock, and sign up on a local carrier? What are the carriers besides du?
    08-21-10 10:37 AM
    Again I will ask, are you currently under contract with Bell? If so, you will likely have to pay a fee if you break your contract.
    08-21-10 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD