Calling all Canadians! I'm afraid your (well, ours really ;.)) Country is soon to be invaded by an Englishman, in a few months, Montreal is looking like it's gonna be my new home.

I've been told by my partner that phone contracts are generally better here, as we get a lot of handsets for free and some pretty good contracts. Just been browsing briefly around the Bell website and it seemed pretty decent, lot of it quite good value for money as well.

Is it worth bring my Torch (not yet unlocked) across and simply taking out a sim only plan? Or is she talking b**ocks and are plans, handsets etc similar between the two countries?

Any help appreciated and do feel free to post any links to Canadian sites where you can compare and take out a contract etc.

Cheers in advance,
    Grant

-apologies if this is in the wrong forum by the way-

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-11 10:46 AM
    We don't want no blimey british blokes moving into Canada!

Wait you send Montreal! That's barely Canada

If is very much worth unlocking your torch and bring it over. As a result you won't need to sign a lengthy contract, and then when a new phone comes out you'll be able to sign up as a new user and get the phone heavily discounted.

Canada and the UK are similar in pricing, our plans are laid out differently and can get very costly.

I would compare
    Bell canada
    Telus mobility
    Rogers wireless
    As the 3 national carriers
    All 3 would accept your Blackberry Torch once unlocked

07-05-11 11:32 AM
    My understanding is that Rogers and Bell Canada use the same 3g bands as ATT in the US and that Wind mobile uses the bands that T-mobile does. So you should be able to activate your (unlocked) Torch on Rogers or Bell, but I don't knwo what the costs etc would be to do so.
    07-05-11 11:32 AM
    To add to Tiassa, Telus also uses the same bands as Rogers and Bell. All their subsidiaries do to like Koodoo, Chattr, Virgin, and others
    07-05-11 11:34 AM
    For what it is worth, Telus and Bell share the network together for the 3G network. BUT, if I have low coverage I do not have the option of switching to 2G, it simply does not exist on the Telus network. Or have no roaming for it... Very much worth bringing your Torch over.
    07-05-11 11:41 AM
    feel free to contact Cell4less.ca - Canadas Wireless Savings Consultants - Save On Your Phone Bill EVERY MONTH! for some more insight and the best rate
    07-05-11 11:51 AM
    I think it would be worth checking out Mobilicity which is a mobile virtual carrier run by Rogers and Wind Mobile, a new mid-sized Canadian carrier - just for the sake of checking out all options.

Another carrier which I believe operates only in Quebec is Videotron - I'm not sure of their prices or contracts, but I believe they offer some pretty competitive rates and plans.
    07-05-11 11:59 AM
    My suggestion is check out Costco when you come to Canada. In my experience, they somehow offer plans that no other place provides, give you sweet discounts or rebates on the handsets, and the best customer service comapred to other wireless stores. (It's the Wireless Wave store inside Costco).

1. As for your Blackberry Torch, google free my blackberry

2. Get the phone unlocked. Use it in Canada

3. Get free phone when signing up for crazy long contract (if you decide the contract route)

4. Sell free phone

5. When new BB comes out 50 years from now, use sell UK Torch (now unlocked), combine with Canadian Torch monies, and buy new BB

6. Win!
    07-05-11 12:03 PM
    Good luck on your move! I live in Canada but currently visiting my partner in Abu Dhabi.

Don't forget to browse the cheap version of the main big three.

Rogers has Fido
    Telus has Koodo
    Bell has Virgin Canada (if I'm not mistaken).

I've been with Rogers for the past 4 years and I am so far happy with them.

Good luck on your move.
    07-05-11 12:51 PM
    I've been with Telus for the past 5 years and everything is smooth. They have a good promotion right now for 55$. Have a look.
    07-05-11 01:57 PM
    I'm on Bell for work. I put my Dell Streak on Rogers. My wife put her Blackberry on Telus.

We support 'em all! LOL

Montreal is a beautiful city!!
    07-05-11 07:29 PM
    Welcome to my citi! i got my Torch in the US before it came out here and had it unlocked since day 1 and have yet to have even the smallest problem. I would say like Rus said and it's well worth bringing it here. I have a guy if you need also.

I would say look into Rogers. still have yet to find one of the other guys who can offer me what i have. feel free to msg me if you need any help or have any questions.
    07-05-11 10:43 PM
    i want to visit vancouver in canada one day.what's so good about montreal?
    07-05-11 11:12 PM
    Canada is the most expencive country to own a cell phone in the world. You may be in for a bit of a surprise. Have fun in Canada!!

07-05-11 11:18 PM
    PS: Rogers smell

Okay, they don't smell, but they owe me $2000 while hounding me for $800ish. Long story short, I've been given the run around for 3 months now, and have gotten no where. My Bell experience has been pretty good, and I've noticed a better network in/around the Toronto/Niagara Area. So Bell/Telus is my recommendation. YMMV
    07-05-11 11:31 PM
    Appreciate all the responses here boys and girls, nice one - looks like I've got my work cut out, but will definitely bring the Torch in that case anyway.

Will keep you posted, I'm going to have to move as my girlfriend's UK visa ran out and I'd quite like to re-train in a trade abroad anyway, exciting times.

07-06-11 05:47 AM
    I lived in Vancouver for two years and I travel up from Los Angeles every other month. It will be better for you to bring your unlocked phone as opposed to locking yourself down to the standard 3 year deal. That's right, 3 years.

Put it this way, it was cheaper for me to have my LA phone via Verizon's Nationwide + Canada plan with no roaming charges and with unlimited international data then to sign my life away with a Canadian carrier for 3 years.

Have fun, love Montreal!!!
    07-07-11 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD