Hi, I am moving to SW Ontario in a few weeks. I understand that I can't unlock my Verizon Tour and use it on Telus, so my question is: do you need to have a data plan on Verizon to keep the bb? I ask since my contract doesn't end until May 2011 and I'd like to give the phone to my daughter here, whose contract is up April 9. She's only 14 so she won't be needing the data plan, just the phone.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance:-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 06:55 PM
    The Tour is a world phone, and therefore GSM compatible. You could try using a GSM carrier with a SIM card to continue using your Tour, assuming it's unlocked. GSM carriers include Rogers and FIDO. I'd recommend FIDO, as their rates are cheaper.

03-09-10 07:13 PM
    From what I've read in these forums, if you purchased the Tour at a discount tied to a contract, it has to remain on the data plan until the contract is up, or pay an early termination fee. If you pay the ETF and give the phone to your daughter, I think they will know it's a BB and start charging for the data plan.

As Masahiro said, the Tour is a world phone and since it is still activated, you can ask Verizon for the unlock code. Maybe a Verizon customer can chime in now and tell you what you have to ask for to get it free. After unlocking you can do as Masahiro said and open an account with Fido or Rogers, but you'd have to configure the phone to use the data plan.

I'm on T-Mobile and have used both a Sprint & a Verizon Tour on T-Mobile w/data but it took some work to get it configured and it will not work on 3G.

Check the Verizon forum (in CrackBerry) and see if they can help you there too.

Hope this helps.
    03-09-10 08:07 PM
    Hi, I am moving to SW Ontario in a few weeks. I understand that I can't unlock my Verizon Tour and use it on Telus, so my question is: do you need to have a data plan on Verizon to keep the bb? I ask since my contract doesn't end until May 2011 and I'd like to give the phone to my daughter here, whose contract is up April 9. She's only 14 so she won't be needing the data plan, just the phone.

Yes as long as the BlackBerry is on there you are stuck with the data plan.
    03-10-10 04:45 PM
    Just in time, the tour 2 is coming to Canada later this month.
    03-11-10 01:36 AM

Unfortunately yes. Might be worth checking what the ETF would be vs paying the Data Plan until May 2011.
    03-12-10 09:51 AM
    The Tour's GSM doesnt work with the Bands available in Canada.

you will need to use it in CDMA which isnt so bad. Telus has better CDMA coverage anyways. but thier might be a problem cause canadian providers can only use Carrier's own ESN's in CDMA.
    03-12-10 10:02 AM
    You don't have to keep the data plan on your verizon account, BUT if you give your daughter the Tour, then you do, BUT if you get a dumb phone for that account if can run out it's contract without a data plan. As for the Tour you can take it to Canada with you can use it on Rogers or Fido on the EDGE network (or lowers) as the 3G is not the right frequencies. Selling the Tour is another good option and getting a Storm2, 9700, or upcoming Bold2/Tour2 (whatchamacallit!), on a Canadian provider of your choice.
    03-12-10 10:10 AM
    I'd suggest u pay the ETF for the data plan and buy your daughter a regular phone or if she already has a verizon phone and use the voice plan on the account that way u won't have to pay for the data plan u won't be using and avoid data usage charges. As for you, u can use tour on Fido or Rogers (I'd suggest Fido because its cheaper and that's why I chose them) and Telus won't allow any phones if not purchased from them and Idk about Bell but I would not recommend them because they are expensive. Hope this helps

03-12-10 07:11 PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to check what the EFT is for my Tour, and balance that against paying for the data until the contract runs out.
    03-12-10 07:37 PM
    The Tour's GSM doesnt work with the Bands available in Canada.

you will need to use it in CDMA which isnt so bad. Telus has better CDMA coverage anyways. but thier might be a problem cause canadian providers can only use Carrier's own ESN's in CDMA.
    It will work with Rogers/Fido GSM network and 2G EDGE. You won't get 3G services that's all. No streaming videos/radio and no gps. Must unlock phone first.
    03-12-10 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD