My employer has unforunately migrated away from Microsoft Exchange to Zimbra, and now BIS is unable to check my email (though oddly my iPhone continues to work). Since I'd rather use my Bold, I'm considering moving over to their BES server and have a few questions about how this will work.

I know the basic differences between BIS and BES. But I'm curious how checking my personal email accounts will work - I assume the AT&T BIS page will no longer work for me at all correct? So I would be unable to modify my signature or setup filters for those accounts. In addition what happens if I need my service books again? I assume switching devices is also a lot less convenient as well? I have an old 8700c that I take with me for outdoor activities so I switch back and forth often.

Also, what kind of logging or information the server will know about my usage such as browsing or personal emails? I work for a state run institution so pretty much anything on the server could in theory be open to the public if requested.
    09-14-09 03:21 PM
    Ill sum this up for you in just a few sentences... Once you switch over to BES, all of your BB traffic now becomes control of the BB Admin. All your email text ect can be both tracked and controlled. Personal browsing history is available to the admin. You are pretty much at the mercy of the BB Server Admin.
    09-14-09 11:46 PM
    ^^True. And the BES Admin can remotely control, enable or disable every option and function on the device. Most don't but they can. I have BES with a very non-restrictive policy that imposes no controls.

Yes, you can have BIS accounts on the same device. You can change BIS filters, signatures, and password just like before.

I don't think you could switch devices between BES and BIS because each require a different instance of Desktop Manager on your PC, as DM can only be set up for one or the other.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 03:01 AM
    Edit to my post (can't edit on wap):
    � You can send service books if necessary just like before, no difference.
    � "Switching devices" - was referring the ability to conveniently or frequently switch between BES and non-BES. You can do a one-time switch by reinstalling DM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 03:06 AM
    Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I needed to know. Looks like I'll figure something else out or go with out it.

By switching devices I meant I want to be able to go from my Bold to a 8700 as I need to when I do things like mountain biking or camping. In BIS I can just hit change device and put in the new PIN and IMEI and away I go.
    09-15-09 06:34 AM
    Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I needed to know. Looks like I'll figure something else out or go with out it.

By switching devices I meant I want to be able to go from my Bold to a 8700 as I need to when I do things like mountain biking or camping. In BIS I can just hit change device and put in the new PIN and IMEI and away I go.
    I am on a bes and can switch devices. Just remember that they can see everything and I mean everything!!!!
    09-15-09 06:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD