Hey,

I just upgraded to Storm 2 from my Storm 1. Also got the gf a 9700.
    My only question is about upgrading the OSes. How does that work?

Do I just keep installing the OSes and select the right one when I'm about to load them up, or do I delete them all the time, and get desktop manager all freshn'd up before installing a new OS and loading it?

And does it matter that I have two different blackberries I'll be updating & all?
    Some advice would help.

Thanks!
    [Storm2: To 5.x.713, 9700: To 5.x.714]
    07-08-10 04:31 PM
    Confused about this..
    07-09-10 12:09 AM
    Hey, you should check this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

Make sure you don't have any old OS installed to your computer. The only application that should be in there is the Desktop Manager. After that you have to find the right OS for your Blackberry then follow the link I provided
    Last edited by blazed12; 07-09-10 at 12:56 AM.
    07-09-10 12:52 AM
    Its better to have only one OS installed on the pc at a time. Make sure you backup the device before upgrading, just to be on the safe side, if something goes wrong during the upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 05:16 AM
    what ST79 has said is true. when you're done with upgrading your BB, uninsall the OS from your PC and install the OS for the 9700.

installation/upgrading procedure can be found at my signature
    07-09-10 05:21 AM
    So basically, at any given time, there should be only one OS installed. If I ever have to downgrade, I still delete the old, install the OS to be downgraded to.. and continue.

Also, at any given time, only one OS, no matter what phone it is.
    07-09-10 09:14 AM
    So basically, at any given time, there should be only one OS installed. If I ever have to downgrade, I still delete the old, install the OS to be downgraded to.. and continue.

Also, at any given time, only one OS, no matter what phone it is.
    Of the surface, that does appear to be good advise, but in practice, it does not matter.

You can have multiple instances of device OS software installed on your computer. Applications Loader keeps them sorted out and defaults to the highest available version number.

In practice, I recommend leaving a "Known Good" OS in place, particularly if you will be experimenting with Beta code. If something goes wrong, recovery is as simple as using Windows Control Panel to uninstall the offending code, leaving your original OS to re-install.

Multiple devices are no problem either. Each OS package is enabled for one specific model of BlackBerry. You can have multiple models supported on a single computer.

07-09-10 10:02 AM
    Of the surface, that does appear to be good advise, but in practice, it does not matter.

You can have multiple instances of device OS software installed on your computer. Applications Loader keeps them sorted out and defaults to the highest available version number.

In practice, I recommend leaving a "Known Good" OS in place, particularly if you will be experimenting with Beta code. If something goes wrong, recovery is as simple as using Windows Control Panel to uninstall the offending code, leaving your original OS to re-install.

Multiple devices are no problem either. Each OS package is enabled for one specific model of BlackBerry. You can have multiple models supported on a single computer.

Thanks so much! That's the exact answer I was looking for.. because in practice, it seemed fine how the operating systems always defaulted to latest versions.

But in theory, everyone seems to be following the blind fact that all OSes need to be deleted - which could be true in most cases.

Thanks again!
    Because the whole deleting thing all the time didn't jive well with me...
    07-09-10 12:54 PM
    everyone seems to be following the blind fact that all OSes need to be deleted ...
    It is right up there with the daily battery is a good thing myth.

At this time, I have 4 8320 OS installed and I let my carrier auto-update my 8120 through BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

There are times when the installed software is badly messed up and you want a return to "out of the box" condition. That is the time a pre-wipe is useful.
    07-09-10 01:22 PM
    It is right up there with the daily battery is a good thing myth.

At this time, I have 4 8320 OS installed and I let my carrier auto-update my 8120 through BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

There are times when the installed software is badly messed up and you want a return to "out of the box" condition. That is the time a pre-wipe is useful.
    Heartily agree!
    Thanks again for the help.
    07-10-10 04:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD