As I said before, the average Android user does not Root,thus majority of the bootloaders stay locked.
    Lol, why do you bother with him. He is trying hard to find any and every possible thing to make BB Android seem better.

In the end it's up to you if you want to Root, some Androids can be rooted some can't, it's been like that since before BB came in.

The good thing is that most Androids when rooted will not allow you to do certain things that can compromise security e.g. functions like Android Pay and Samsung Pay stop working. I know with my bank their banking app does not work on a Rooted device, Exchange email will probably not work with how strict most administrators are etc etc...

So whether or not a phone can be rooted deos not actually matter, but he will argue this point as he wants to tug at straws, only thing one can do when their argument is baseless.
    Uzi and cribble2k like this.
    04-16-17 04:04 AM

The good thing is that most Androids when rooted will not allow you to do certain things that can compromise security e.g. functions like Android Pay and Samsung Pay stop working. I know with my bank their banking app does not work on a Rooted device, Exchange email will probably not work with how strict most administrators are etc etc...
    Just FYI, there's many apps like root cloak , hide root which can make all such apps running on rooted android

Try it if you want
    04-16-17 04:36 AM
    Just FYI, there's many apps like root cloak , hide root which can make all such apps running on rooted android

Try it if you want
    Thanks but I no longer Root, it's been 3-4years since I did it.

Rooting is bad for me as I then start adding unnecessary tweaks and mods, get the device to perfection then go WAAAY overboard πŸ˜‚
    04-16-17 04:38 AM

Rooting is bad for me as I then start adding unnecessary tweaks and mods, get the device to perfection then go WAAAY overboard πŸ˜‚
    I'm doing same .. Rooting and then tweaking is really addicting lol
    04-16-17 04:46 AM
    Lol, why do you bother with him. He is trying hard to find any and every possible thing to make BB Android seem better.

In the end it's up to you if you want to Root, some Androids can be rooted some can't, it's been like that since before BB came in.

So whether or not a phone can be rooted deos not actually matter, but he will argue this point as he wants to tug at straws, only thing one can do when their argument is baseless.
    Rooting can be done 'systemless' now.

Basically,the system partition does not get modified,and Root can be hidden and disabled on the fly.

See Magisk

https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

MY phone is rooted and still passes Safety Net checks. I can still pay with Android Pay.
    fabio1 likes this.
    04-16-17 02:32 PM
    As I said before, the average Android user does not Root,thus majority of the bootloaders stay locked.
    Unfortunately, from a strictly security standpoint, a solution that works well for 'the vast majority' is still a failure. With that way of thinking...who needs security screening at airports when 99.9% of passengers and cargo will never pose a security risk? Lol.
    04-16-17 07:47 PM

Typical response from a typical hypocrite. But at least you understand the concept of self harm, which explains perfectly why the 'tinkering' of incompetents on corporate or government issued devices is not an acceptable security outcome.
    Last edited by kputock; 04-16-17 at 08:12 PM.
    04-16-17 07:50 PM
    Typical response from a typical hypocrite.
    Lol, believe what you want, but you have to stop trying to push an invalid argument.

Some Androids can be rooted, some can't, regardless that is up to the person if they want to compromise their phone and run it with no security, it's their choice.

If it was possible to root remotely then it would be an issue, buts it's not.
    04-16-17 08:08 PM
    Lol, believe what you want, but you have to stop trying to push an invalid argument.

Some Androids can be rooted, some can't, regardless that is up to the person if they want to compromise their phone and run it with no security, it's their choice.

If it was possible to root remotely then it would be an issue, buts it's not.
    Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Take a seat.
    04-16-17 08:14 PM
    As far as I know, unless I say otherwise, a Pixel in my possession cannot be rooted.

How does the BlackBerry Android beat that in the real world?

Now, if someone can root or jailbreak a device remotely, I'm concerned.
    First I should say I'm not against rooting. It can provide many useful features, and probably isn't too much of an issue assuming you are careful.

I think there is a slight risk that an app you intentionally install could exploit a vulnerability to root a phone without your permission (granting itself root permission obviously), thus bypassing the permission model and gaining almost complete control of the device.
    I'm sure someone will argue that you shouldn't be installing apps from untrusted sources anyways. Still, ideally installing an app that doesn't request any additional permissions shouldn't require much thought. Also, some malware does make it into Google Play.
    04-16-17 09:17 PM
    Pixel is one of the most expensive Android phones, that much is known, however, I don't think that the average Android user cares that much about security. If they did, they probably wouldn't be using Android in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-17 10:30 PM
    Pixel is one of the most expensive Android phones, that much is known, however, I don't think that the average Android user cares that much about security. If they did, they probably wouldn't be using Android in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed with regards to price. That's always a concern of mine.

Security? I actually started dabbling with Android because of the control the platform afforded me. In other words, I was able to get user vitriol and really get into the device.
    04-16-17 10:54 PM
    First I should say I'm not against rooting. It can provide many useful features, and probably isn't too much of an issue assuming you are careful.

I think there is a slight risk that an app you intentionally install could exploit a vulnerability to root a phone without your permission (granting itself root permission obviously), thus bypassing the permission model and gaining almost complete control of the device.
    I'm sure someone will argue that you shouldn't be installing apps from untrusted sources anyways. Still, ideally installing an app that doesn't request any additional permissions shouldn't require much thought. Also, some malware does make it into Google Play.
    Point taken. It is valid.

I should note that I consider rooting a feature. Having said that, there are risks associated with it, but I figure most Android folks that stick to Google Play will be as safe as can be expected.
    04-16-17 10:57 PM
    Point taken. It is valid.

I should note that I consider rooting a feature. Having said that, there are risks associated with it, but I figure most Android folks that stick to Google Play will be as safe as can be expected.
    Exactly!

And even if someone decided to go out the Play Store, they are met with countless warnings by the phone before they can install anything, so if they decide to it's their own decision.

It's the same as when you are met with the Seatbelt warnings when you start your car and drive off, if you just continue to ignore them that is YOUR choice and responsibilitiy, not the Manufacturer.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    04-17-17 01:59 AM
    Articles like these somewhat undermines BlackBerrys only positive spin on going android in a way.
    This is actually very true and would explain why some here are desperately reaching for straws with their arguments.

In the end they are just another Android oh be maker and they need to find other ways to stick out, they have yet to truly prove themselves.

The KEYOne may just be the device to help them as the Keyboard seems like the only thing that can help them stay differentiated in Android.
    04-17-17 03:12 AM
    This is actually very true and would explain why some here are desperately reaching for straws with their arguments.

In the end they are just another Android oh be maker and they need to find other ways to stick out, they have yet to truly prove themselves.

The KEYOne may just be the device to help them as the Keyboard seems like the only thing that can help them stay differentiated in Android.
    Once again, your argument only works if you continue to refuse to acknowledge that device security can effect something beyond you alone and your personal use (or mis-use) of the device. Unless you consider the security question at a higher level, where a user's tweaks and violations to the integrity of the device or its data, or even it's long term physical performance and durability, are actually a real issue and a real concern that has material impact on others (such as in the case of a corporate or government issued device)...than you clearly will never have a full understanding nor appreciation for what the security of BlackBerry Android is intended to provide.

In the context of a corporate or government issued device...your argument is the equivalent of saying "I already know better and I know I don't pose a flight risk...therefore I can by-pass security screening". Hmmm... I wonder what the other people on the flight...or better yet the airline, would feel about your 'security assessment' in that situation? LMFAO.
    Last edited by kputock; 04-17-17 at 10:17 AM.
    04-17-17 09:57 AM
    Once again, your argument only works if you continue to refuse to acknowledge that device security can effect something beyond you alone and your personal use (or mis-use) of the device. Unless you consider the security question at a higher level, where a user's tweaks and violations to the integrity of the device or its data, or even it's long term physical performance and durability, are actually a real issue and a real concern that has material impact on others (such as in the case of a corporate or government issued device)...than you clearly will never have a full understanding nor appreciation for what the security of BlackBerry Android is intended to provide.
    LOL! Your argument is ridiculous.

There is not a single device that is safe from me simply handing over an unlocked so-called Secure device to someone else who could then take that information.

Going by your logic any and every device is unsafe in that case and therefore your entire point is invalid.

Yes, security goes beyond me, but that's up to guess who? That's right, ME.

Whether a device can be Rooted or not does not matter, as I have said countless times, it's down to the person, if Donald Trump simply unlocked his new phone and gave it to someone right there all information is compromised, no Root ir any OS exploitation required.

There is a level of logic and responsibility that comes with it, you can't expect Google, BB or anyone else to cover that.
    04-17-17 10:18 AM
    LOL! Your argument is ridiculous.

There is not a single device that is safe from me simply handing over an unlocked so-called Secure device to someone else who could then take that information.

Going by your logic any and every device is unsafe in that case and therefore your entire point is invalid.

Yes, security goes beyond me, but that's up to guess who? That's right, ME.

Whether a device can be Rooted or not does not matter, as I have said countless times, it's down to the person, if Donald Trump simply unlocked his new phone and gave it to someone right there all information is compromised, no Root ir any OS exploitation required.

There is a level of logic and responsibility that comes with it, you can't expect Google, BB or anyone else to cover that.
    Once again, in this case, as is more in line with the topic of the original thread - it is very convenient for Google (or hopeless Android fanboys) to exclude rooting as a threat to device security. It allows Google to claim their own device is the most secure and conveniently ignore more robust and hardened solutions developed by competitor BlackBerry in this segment of the market. Nor was it an accident the PRIV and other BlackBerry Android solutions did not initially make Google's most secure device list, only to be added later as a footnote with an 'honourable mention". Lol.
    04-17-17 10:34 AM
    Once again, in this case, as was the topic of the original thread - it is very convenient for Google (or hopeless Android fanboys) to exclude rooting as a threat to device security. It allows Google to claim their own device is the most secure and conveniently ignore more robust and hardened solutions developed by competitor BlackBerry in this segment of the market. Nor was it an accident the PRIV and other BlackBerry Android solutions did not initially make Google's list, only to be added later with an 'honourable mention". Lol.
    That's because being Rootable does not mean it's a security risk, and either way, BB still doesn't take top honours as if you want an Android that cannot be Rooted many carriers take care of that in their FW, just ask people who own e.g. AT&T Samsungs for example.

It makes sense to simply give an honourable mention to BB rather than consider them at the same level as Pixel, last I checked Android 7 Nougat is not even out for any BB Android, they are still on Marshmallow, they are not even on the lastest OS let alone latest Nougat OS version.
    Uzi, Dunt Dunt Dunt and jmr1015 like this.
    04-17-17 10:47 AM
    That's because being Rootable does not mean it's a security risk, and either way, BB still doesn't take top honours as if you want an Android that cannot be Rooted many carriers take care of that in their FW, just ask people who own e.g. AT&T Samsungs for example.

It makes sense to simply give an honourable mention to BB rather than consider them at the same level as Pixel, last I checked Android 7 Nougat is not even out for any BB Android, they are still on Marshmallow, they are not even on the lastest OS let alone latest Nougat OS version.
    Wrong again. Perhaps you should read Google's annual report. And btw BlackBerry Android has a Nougat device, it's called Aurora. Look it up.

It's too bad your S7 Edge didn't make Google's list. Pity.
    04-17-17 11:20 AM
    Wrong again. Perhaps you should read Google's annual report. And btw BlackBerry Android has a Nougat device, it's called Aurora. Look it up.

It's too bad your S7 Edge didn't make Google's list. Pity.
    1 device released in Indonesia, not even a Flagship. Thanks for a good laugh πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ them straws, gotta clutch 'em hard!

Are you talking about this list where the Galaxy S7 (updated same time as S7 Edge) is listed?
    https://android.gadgethacks.com/news...hones-0176997/

That would be hilarious, I hope this is not the list you are talking about, really do πŸ˜‚
    04-17-17 11:59 AM
    1 device released in Indonesia, not even a Flagship. Thanks for a good laugh πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ them straws, gotta clutch 'em hard!

Are you talking about this list where the Galaxy S7 (updated same time as S7 Edge) is listed?
    https://android.gadgethacks.com/news...hones-0176997/

That would be hilarious, I hope this is not the list you are talking about, really do πŸ˜‚
    Yes, S7 Edge is definitely missing from the list. Too bad. Don't worry though, I'm sure the distinction will be lost on most people.
    04-17-17 12:18 PM
    Yes, S7 Edge is definitely missing from the list. Too bad. Don't worry though, I'm sure the distinction will be lost on most people.
    The Reality Distortion Field is strong in this one! πŸ˜‚

S7 counts as BOTH S7 Flat and Edge variants as they are updated simultaneously. Wouldn't expect you to understand that though, a lot seems to be lost on you when it comes to all this.

Shame.

As you were...
    04-17-17 12:57 PM
    The Reality Distortion Field is strong in this one! πŸ˜‚

S7 counts as BOTH S7 Flat and Edge variants as they are updated simultaneously. Wouldn't expect you to understand that though, a lot seems to be lost on you when it comes to all this.

Shame.

As you were...
    No, the shame is Google (rather conveniently) didn't bother to clarify either, which was actually my point...and the reason you have now gone out your way twice to justify why your beloved S7 Edge is not on the list. Lol.
    04-17-17 01:08 PM
    No, the shame is Google (rather conveniently) didn't bother to clarify either, which was actually my point...and the reason you have now gone out your way twice to justify why your beloved S7 Edge is not on the list. Lol.
    They did clarify your comprehension skills are just as poor as your arguments πŸ˜‚
    The very list expands on the devices in the document

I'll make it easy for you....
    For 10 points, what does it say right here:
    04-17-17 01:15 PM
56 123