[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2AzbcMxU_Y[/YT]

I zoomed in on one of the displays in the blackberry videos from BB10 Jam. Shows app minimization into glace view.
    Last edited by marksthespot60; 05-04-12 at 06:10 PM.
    SourBB and llllBULLSEYE like this.
    05-03-12 10:41 PM
    Nice! If BB10 works as well as it looks, this will be the best OS.
    05-03-12 11:03 PM
    Looks amazing really, too good to be true honestly. I can't wait till later this year, better start saving because I can't officially renew my contract till 2013. My 9930 is still kicking though so no hurry
    05-04-12 02:06 AM
    Streamline operations !!!!!!
    This UI to be more gorgeous than the IOS........
    gorang likes this.
    05-04-12 04:07 AM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    seriously!! can't wait for this product!!! .... looks to be amazing!
    05-04-12 06:24 AM
    This will definitely be the most advanced mobile OS available. IOS is going to be clunky one, although the most polished one, on the market when this hits. This is why competition is good and people routing for RIM to die are dumb. Competition has made RIM to have to totally start from scratch, and if BB10 is as well receive And come up with something awesome, it will force Apple and Android to respond.. Such is the circle of technology.
    05-04-12 06:46 AM
    This will definitely be the most advanced mobile OS available. IOS is going to be clunky one, although the most polished one, on the market when this hits. This is why competition is good and people routing for RIM to die are dumb. Competition has made RIM to have to totally start from scratch, and if BB10 is as well receive And come up with something awesome, it will force Apple and Android to respond.. Such is the circle of technology.
    How do you define "most advanced"?

Neither iOS nor Android are perfect. In fact, they are far from it. I would love to see BB10 evolve into a legitimate 3rd option, and, as you said, put some pressure on Apple and Google to continue to innovate. Will that translate into sales? That's another question entirely. You guys who have been stuck using BBOS are going to be absolutely delighted by a modern OS. Will iOS, Android and Windows Phone users be impressed? That obviously remains to be seen. I do hope that RIM continues to look at what those other OSs do well, and what developers are doing for them and doing well for them, and adapt what they need to (i.e. Scalado and Swiftkey). They, also, need to make sure not to try to get too "cute" with things - even HTC has toned down a lot of the "fluff" on their Sense overlay. There is definitely room to be creative with a mobile OS, without totally reinventing the wheel. RIM needs to do that, and then carve out its place in the modern day tech/life ecosystem. The latter is what will make or break them, and they need to realize that, while realizing that partnerships are likely to be more effective at this stage than proprietary products. The one proprietary product that they do have, which they would be wise to take beyond BB devices is BBM. Even if it is free, take it cross-platform to iOS, Android and Windows Phone. Only Apple seems to be able to keep everything in house and survive, the rest need to accept competition or they risk being cut-off and alone.
    bbaleno and Yaceka like this.
    05-04-12 08:01 AM
    I've seen and used these supposed modern OS's ... I'm not impressed. I'm using BB7 because it's the one I like best, not because I'm stuck with it.
    05-04-12 08:09 AM
    You guys who have been stuck using BBOS are going to be absolutely delighted by a modern OS.
    Don't talk down to us like we are forced at gunpoint to use BBOS. Every single person here has a choice to use what they want. I tried an Android device and I own the iPhone 4S, but I use my BlackBerry 9930. Not because I'm forced to use it, but because I like it the best.

Comments like the one i quoted made me stop reading what you wrote because you are clearly out of touch with reality.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    05-04-12 09:23 AM
    How do you define "most advanced"?
    RTOS Micro Kernel allowing for parts of the OS to be upgraded/fixed modularly without requiring carrier testing or re-certification of FIPS as long as the radio stack and/or crypto kernel isn't touched. Competition has to run each upgrade through carrier testing. The Cascades UI Framework appears to be astounding, and easy for developers to use, "Flow" is awesome. These are just the starts and "knowns". If it isn't taken up though then it won't provide competition and not promote additional innovation from the competition.
    marksthespot60 likes this.
    05-04-12 09:42 AM
    RTOS Micro Kernel allowing for parts of the OS to be upgraded/fixed modularly without requiring carrier testing or re-certification of FIPS as long as the radio stack and/or crypto kernel isn't touched. Competition has to run each upgrade through carrier testing. The Cascades UI Framework appears to be astounding, and easy for developers to use, "Flow" is awesome. These are just the starts and "knowns". If it isn't taken up though then it won't provide competition and not promote additional innovation from the competition.
    No matter what is upgraded, the carriers are still going to test the software. Verizon is not just going to let any equipment connect to their network unless it knows exactly whats it is completely doing from power on to power down.

RIM has some of the largest upgrade files I have seen. I mean 200, 300 , 400mb files for upgrades???!! A LTE Playbook with someone with 1gb of data is going to play very nice with the end customer.
    05-04-12 01:15 PM
    No matter how you look at it, being that BlackBerry can modify individual parts of the OS, it should decrease the time carriers need to test it. I'd like some of that device awareness and sharing capabilities we saw in this video, [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfqy16VBe04[/YT]. If that can be baked right in it would be a sure hit. Also, the ability to Facebook video chat with that contact list would be a large selling point for consumers.
    05-04-12 05:44 PM
    You guys who have been stuck using BBOS are going to be absolutely delighted by a modern OS.
    I agree with anastasiophan
    This doesn't make sense at all. The rest of your post is totally correct.
    I'm huge Gadget guy have all OS tablets Ipad2,PB, Android
    and phones galore.
    I purchased the iPhone 2G the first day it came out
    With that said
    Their OS is now Boring and outdated. Compare the iphone 2g iOS to the iPhones4s
    OS besides apps its just small updates here and there. Still the same OS
    its not modern at all. Thge Camera is Amazing. The apps like Siri and others are modern.
    The Retina Display is very Modern The Phone Design is Modern.
    Their OS however is NOT
    The next iPhone will need a New OS not another small update.
    05-04-12 06:15 PM
    Nice! If BB10 works as well as it looks, this will be the best OS.
    I agree. But until this is out in people's hands nobody knows for sure. I mean it looks amazing but we all know how well things can perform in these demos and never get close to this in the real world.
    05-04-12 07:50 PM
    Not sure why people feel the need to use talking points to try to point out some sort of advantage. Carriers have to support the device. They will never push out an update just because RIM told them it's good. They never do that, and don't expect that to change in the immediate future.

Carriers don't care what kernel you're running, what OS you're running. They care about making sure thye won't get swarmed with support calls or that they will lose money because a non-radio/crypto update (like to the Cascades framework) broke their value-add preloads (TeleNav, MobiTV, etc. which quite a few people actually do pay for or depend on on carriers like Sprint).

WP7 is also decently modular and Microsoft tried the same spin you're pushing here by implying that updates will be fast with little to no carrier testing involved. The carriers won that war. If you think Microsoft or any OEM can push an update to a carrier branded phone even for something as simple as a browser rendering engine upgrade that doesn't even touch the radio without the carrier testing it, you're absolutely clueless.

People also said QNX would make the battery life on the Playbook incredible, and that never panned out that way. They also said it would make resource management ridiculously good and Playbooks were getting OOM errors. Any OS can be made to sound like the most advanced thing on earth. Microsoft software runs in Cars, I bet it's super advanced modular and is the future of mobile computing. See what I did there? That's what people keep saying about QNX, basically.

Only thing I care about is how well the phone works, not some amatuer techie's flawed explanation of the platform.
    Last edited by N8ter; 05-04-12 at 09:05 PM.
    05-04-12 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD