I'm getting a little sick and tired of starting to read a multi-page thread with an interesting title only to find that a page and a half into the gazillion replies, the thread degenerates into a "I know you are but what am I" childish dialog.

The Playbook keeps getting incrementally better and my 9650 (which got its likely last update last year) can certainly hold me over until I can see what BB10 is all about. But, occasionally, I do have questions that I use these forums to help provide answers. Thankfully, you can specify individual replies to be returned in Advanced Search instead of just topics since most topics go off topic by the 10th reply or so.

There are so many topics that are either started by trolls or usurped by trolls in the replies that it is becoming frustrating to find answers. For casual reading, sometimes these can be amusing (in small doses), but when I have a question that I want the answer to, it can be extremely annoying.

Most of the trolling will claim the advantages of iOS or Android over whatever particular topic is being discussed. The BB fans (whose forum this is after all) take offense and try to strike back. People post how they want to ditch their BB or Playbook. Forum members wish them luck in their future endeavors. And then the trolling begins.

My point is that that:
    a) BB fans will usually take the stand that whatever Andriod or iOS are being flaunted, they'd rather stick with their BBs than switch.
    b) the trolls accuse the BB fans of being in denial of RIM's upcoming demise.

I think I speak for most members here on the BB side of the 'discussion' in saying that we're not in denial. The problem is that we just don't like Android or iOS as a platform to run our primary communication device for whatever reason. When we make these claims, we get slammed for being closed minded.

Well, my response is that I do prefer my BB and Playbook as an excellent platform to manage my mobile communications needs and have yet to see anything come along that would justify my move to another platform.

But, what I can also say now is that not only don't I like iOS or Android, but I can actually consider Windows Phone 7. In another thread asking what platform you'd switch to if RIM goes under, I realized that WP7 would probably be my landing point. I prefer BB over any of these other 3, but WP7 would be my next choice.

Most of the BB slamming is over apps and ecosystem. iOS and Android fans use number of apps as their baseline argument, but in terms of complete functionality as a communications and media tool, my choice of WP7 over the other 2 makes it clear to me that I'm more interested in the whole experience as a mobile communications device instead of a pocket-sized game player and movie viewer. If this is what I was after, I could always buy an iPod touch.

I'm not sure, but I think I'm not alone in saying that we're not stubborn, in denial, or living in the dark ages. We want a reliable tool that, to us, iOS or Android does not seem to be. So before slamming the whole BB/Playbook platforms as insufficient or inconsequential, please try to understand what we value in our smartphone experience (which is probably different than yours). Isn't variety a great thing?
    04-18-12 01:21 PM
    good write up, but i guarantee this thread will turn in to the threads you enjoy the most
    04-18-12 01:24 PM
    I agree with just about everything you have said. The fighting is back and forth, and its not just trolls that do it. What I have come to realize is that the site's slogan has been embraced far too literally by some. "#1 site for BlackBerry Users & Abusers".
    Mecca EL and CDM76 like this.
    04-18-12 01:25 PM
    I'm getting a little sick and tired of starting to read a multi-page thread with an interesting title only to find that a page and a half into the gazillion replies, the thread degenerates into a "I know you are but what am I" childish dialog.

The Playbook keeps getting incrementally better and my 9650 (which got its likely last update last year) can certainly hold me over until I can see what BB10 is all about. But, occasionally, I do have questions that I use these forums to help provide answers. Thankfully, you can specify individual replies to be returned in Advanced Search instead of just topics since most topics go off topic by the 10th reply or so.

There are so many topics that are either started by trolls or usurped by trolls in the replies that it is becoming frustrating to find answers. For casual reading, sometimes these can be amusing (in small doses), but when I have a question that I want the answer to, it can be extremely annoying.

Most of the trolling will claim the advantages of iOS or Android over whatever particular topic is being discussed. The BB fans (whose forum this is after all) take offense and try to strike back. People post how they want to ditch their BB or Playbook. Forum members wish them luck in their future endeavors. And then the trolling begins.

My point is that that:
    a) BB fans will usually take the stand that whatever Andriod or iOS are being flaunted, they'd rather stick with their BBs than switch.
    b) the trolls accuse the BB fans of being in denial of RIM's upcoming demise.

I think I speak for most members here on the BB side of the 'discussion' in saying that we're not in denial. The problem is that we just don't like Android or iOS as a platform to run our primary communication device for whatever reason. When we make these claims, we get slammed for being closed minded.

Well, my response is that I do prefer my BB and Playbook as an excellent platform to manage my mobile communications needs and have yet to see anything come along that would justify my move to another platform.

But, what I can also say now is that not only don't I like iOS or Android, but I can actually consider Windows Phone 7. In another thread asking what platform you'd switch to if RIM goes under, I realized that WP7 would probably be my landing point. I prefer BB over any of these other 3, but WP7 would be my next choice.

Most of the BB slamming is over apps and ecosystem. iOS and Android fans use number of apps as their baseline argument, but in terms of complete functionality as a communications and media tool, my choice of WP7 over the other 2 makes it clear to me that I'm more interested in the whole experience as a mobile communications device instead of a pocket-sized game player and movie viewer. If this is what I was after, I could always buy an iPod touch.

I'm not sure, but I think I'm not alone in saying that we're not stubborn, in denial, or living in the dark ages. We want a reliable tool that, to us, iOS or Android does not seem to be. So before slamming the whole BB/Playbook platforms as insufficient or inconsequential, please try to understand what we value in our smartphone experience (which is probably different than yours). Isn't variety a great thing?

Excellent post. I've stated as much in several posts and in a few short worded talking points, distilled down to its bare and to the point essence, and then get hate mail as a result. But, you are not alone in your assessment of what is the cold hard truth.

Cinco estrellas, btw.
    mzceetee likes this.
    04-18-12 01:28 PM

Statements like the ones I've bolded are what perpetuate the types of responses you frown upon. It's a subtle jab that essentially dismisses the choices of others as being inferior without any reasoning. It's also a little irrational. Like, really, just a game player and movie viewer? I just feel like you (and a lot of other people on both sides of the argument) can get their point across without saying things like this and it'd make for much better discussion.
    04-18-12 01:45 PM
    Great post OP. I agree with all you said. I really do think the mods should police this forum more than they do. They said they were going to come down on the trolls a while back but things appear to have got worse lately.

Sent from my old faithful BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    CDM76 and Afro_Knight like this.
    04-18-12 01:49 PM
    On the same level as the folks who come on here to promote ios are those who claim that this is a forum for "blackberry fans".

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is a forum for blackberry users/potential users and not just the fans. Until the day crackberry changes their slogan from "blackberry users and abusers" to "home of the blackberry fans" or something, there is no reason why discussions and comparisons between blackberry devices and others should be banned.
    xanadome and CanisMinor like this.
    04-18-12 01:50 PM
    Good write up.

It's. Just. A. Phone. People these days seem to forget about the word "personal preference" and "choice". What others think is the best phone for them isn't necessarily the best for someone else. It's about pros and cons, what you are willing to give up, and what you must have, and everyone's needs are unique.

These days, i just try my best not to feed the trolls.
    04-18-12 01:57 PM
    The problem in all of this is that people who post lose sight of the fact what is being put forth is opinion or an opinion of a fact..... It is what starts all the trouble..... it is somenes opinion that there are not enough apps in BB ecosystem.... It someones opinion that Apple or Android is better... even the demize of RIM is an oppinion as it has not happened.... and that is great.... time will tell if they are right...... not talk.....Many are far too invested in justifying their choices in life...

My rule before I post is as follows....

If what you have works for you keep it and ignore the criticisms and be happy.... If what you have does not work... look at the criticisms and make some choices from there.....

Everytime I see a troll..... I use my rules and it stops me from falling into the troll's trap in the first place..... trying to get you upset.....
    04-18-12 02:17 PM
    Statements like the ones I've bolded are what perpetuate the types of responses you frown upon. It's a subtle jab that essentially dismisses the choices of others as being inferior without any reasoning.
    No it's not. If you read what you quoted, it says "I'm more interested in...". I also go on to qualify the "we" by saying "I think I'm not alone in saying that we're not stubborn, in denial, or living in the dark ages. We want a reliable tool that, to us, iOS or Android does not seem to be."

It is not irrational. I'm simply stating that if I felt a need for gaming functionality and media consumption on my phone, I have the option of using an iPod touch or a used Android phone with wifi only.

But my real point which I think that you're missing is that there's now another valid player in the mix in WP7 which, although it also lacks apps, seems to be the alternate choice of those who currently enjoy their Blackberry experience.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing the "it's all about the apps" argument. With the most recent Playbook upgrade, I can now use HBOGo which eliminates any desire I might have for a Netflix app for the Playbook. If we get Skype so that I can transition away from imo.im, I'll be all set.

I encourage others to enjoy their iOS and Android devices while we enjoy our Blackberrys. After all:

It's. Just. A. Phone. People these days seem to forget about the word "personal preference" and "choice". What others think is the best phone for them isn't necessarily the best for someone else. It's about pros and cons, what you are willing to give up, and what you must have, and everyone's needs are unique.
    (well put, Alex).
    ritesh likes this.
    04-18-12 02:17 PM
    Yeah I find everyone should just mind their own business. Sometimes I see friends with 0 tech knowledge that don't even follow mobile tech or ANYTHING, but they are so drawn to their iphones and think everyone else is inferior. I'm not saying this is everyone, but my point is who the caress what other people use? It ain't the NFL, and with the NHL playoffs going on (and oh boy, what a post-season it has been. Anyone excited for Flyers vs Pens tonight?), don't people have different things to be rooting for?

I just don't get the whole my phone is better than your phone and omgz you have a Blackberry run run run! Soo annnoying. If I didn't know any better our mobile devices must be our favorite pets or something.
    deezy87 and bigbmc26 like this.
    04-18-12 02:20 PM
    ...My rule before I post is as follows....

If what you have works for you keep it and ignore the criticisms and be happy.... If what you have does not work... look at the criticisms and make some choices from there.....

Everytime I see a troll..... I use my rules and it stops me from falling into the troll's trap in the first place..... trying to get you upset.....
    I agree completely and that's fine for when I'm just casually reading through new threads here. I'm just saying that it makes it difficult when I'm looking for an answer to a specific question and I do a search. I can come across a topic that looks like it may contain my answer, but the thread has grown to be 20 or so pages (19 of which is trolling and responses). I'm OK, in general, ignoring, or even occasionaly enjoying the back-and-forth, but when I need an answer, it gets frustrating.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-18-12 02:22 PM
    Isn't this merely another example of the kind of thread the OP is sick and tired of?

The only thing I will say is that most of the "troll" threads he is referring to are actually started by BlackBerry users.

Just like this one.

If you guys don't want to hear comparisons, stop making comparisons.
    04-18-12 02:32 PM
    Yes, I agree with the OP.

If you can't go to CrackBerry without being afraid of being called a BlackBerry "fanboy" (because doing so anywhere else is truly venomous), then there's no where left. At least allow one place on the Internet where it's okay to be a BlackBerry fanboy!
    04-18-12 02:35 PM
    Isn't this merely another example of the kind of thread the OP is sick and tired of?

The only thing I will say is that most of the "troll" threads he is referring to are actually started by BlackBerry users.

Just like this one.

If you guys don't want to hear comparisons, stop making comparisons.
    You're missing my point. The title of this thread is "This is more than a fanboy forum". The title of the thread is consistent with the topic of the thread and the replies. If I'm having a problem with, for example, the wifi on my Playbook and I do a search for "wifi", and a search finds a thread called "Wifi problems on my Playbook" it's almost guaranteed that there will be a problem stated, a few replies indicating a similar problem, and then pages of replies arguing about wifi on the Playbook vs iPads and/or Android tablets.

All I'm saying is that if you want to take a direction like this in a thread where someone is looking for answers, you can always start another thread with any title you like (as long as it is consistent with the topic you are going to write) and use the convenient little link button in the editor's toolbar to refer to the original topic. This way, you can make your point while leaving the original thread intact for people looking for quick answers.
    04-18-12 02:44 PM
    All I'm saying is that if you want to take a direction like this in a thread where someone is looking for answers, you can always start another thread with any title you like (as long as it is consistent with the topic you are going to write) and use the convenient little link button in the editor's toolbar to refer to the original topic. This way, you can make your point while leaving the original thread intact for people looking for quick answers.
    If that's the point you are trying to make, maybe you should edit out paragraphs like this from your OP.

04-18-12 02:56 PM
    Statements like the ones I've bolded are what perpetuate the types of responses you frown upon. It's a subtle jab that essentially dismisses the choices of others as being inferior without any reasoning. It's also a little irrational. Like, really, just a game player and movie viewer? I just feel like you (and a lot of other people on both sides of the argument) can get their point across without saying things like this and it'd make for much better discussion.
    Eaxctly, OP = hypocrite

Honestly, you just made a post complaining about trolls and nonsense and then pretty much dangled some bait welcoming it.
    Mystic205 and Yaceka like this.
    04-18-12 03:08 PM
    If that's the point you are trying to make, maybe you should edit out paragraphs like this from your OP.
    But the title is "This is more than a fanboy forum". It doesn't say "not a fanboy forum" or "only a fanboy forum". I've opened the door for this type of discussion in a specific topic dealing with this. The point in the paragraphs you refer to are opinion and are based on the fact that most of the arguing is either iOS or Android on one side and BB on the other. I have yet to encounter a WP7 troll in these forums. I'm sure that as that platform takes off, this might change and my reactions might be different since it's a platform that, if I need to change, I would be more comfortable with.
    04-18-12 03:20 PM

Here's my personal fave:

People post how they want to ditch their BB or Playbook. Forum members wish them luck in their future endeavors. And then the trolling begins.
    Hilarious.
    brucep1 and Phil DeLong like this.
    04-18-12 03:22 PM
    I have yet to encounter a WP7 troll in these forums.
    Iff WP7 currently had the kind of fans that would do such things it would not be struggling to grow its platform.
    04-18-12 03:30 PM
    Iff WP7 currently had the kind of fans that would do such things it would not be struggling to grow its platform.
    So what you're saying is that fans of non-struggling platforms who "do such things" = trolls?
    04-18-12 03:42 PM
    he is probably still surprised that there is such a thing as a WP7 fan

So what you're saying is that fans of non-struggling platforms who "do such things" = trolls?
    bobauckland likes this.
    04-18-12 03:59 PM
    Thank you OP. This sight is filled with posters whose only interest in Blackberry is to say why device/OS X is better than Blackberry. Threads constantly derailed by these people and then they say it is the Blackberry users that are the problem. There was a major troll cleaning a long time ago (based on a post I started), and things improved greatly for the following couple months after the bannings and topics didn't get derailed quickly, but things have been allowed degenerate again. It seems like when Crackberry went into part of the "Mobile Nations" umbrella the tolerance of "the trolling trash" increased greatly. Anyway I'd love to see Crackberry be about Blackberry again and not a place for user of other platforms to join for the sole purpose of bashing RIM/Blackberry.
    04-18-12 04:04 PM
    I also agree with the OP. It seems there has been a lot of trolling as of late; and I am now more cautious than ever when I look into threads. I think that, though this is first and foremost a BlackBerry fan forum; there should still be people who are Android, iPhone, and Windows phone users who can feel like they belong here, too. Maybe they've had a BlackBerry at some point and can help someone if they have problems; or maybe they want to do BlackBerry research or just see what's up over here. Discussion of a civil type between all phone users would be optimal.

But if someone is a "fan" of _____ device; then I don't understand why trolls and other people all of a sudden have to fight back, saying their own device is better. All of those opinions are purely subjective. It doesn't mean they don't matter; but they're not always based on fact, statistical evidence, or trends. But they are representative of someone's feelings; and it'd be nice if these feelings can be respected for both sides.

I love BlackBerry; but I am also intrigued by Android. Windows phones aren't bad, either - the Lumia looks awesome! But what bothers me the most is that trolls and other people seem to want to belittle others for their phone choice; be it BlackBerry or otherwise. If BlackBerry works for someone and meets his or her needs; then he or she is not in denial - they just like what their phones can do and see no need to look elsewhere as of yet. That shouldn't be a criminal offence!
    alnamvet68, spike12 and CDM76 like this.
    04-18-12 04:06 PM
    Train wreck just around the corner peoples...smoke 'em if you gottem'.
    louzer, brucep1 and bigbmc26 like this.
    04-18-12 04:11 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD