BBM guy is out at RIM

front page of cnbc

Key Executives Leave Embattled Research in Motion

More key executives at Research in Motion are leaving the embattled phone maker as newly appointed CEO Thorsten Heins is under fire to turn things around.

CNBC has learned that Alistair Mitchell, former vice president, BBM Platform & Integrated Services is no longer with the company and Alan Brenner, senior vice president, BlackBerry Platform will be leaving the company after a transition period.

This news comes on the heels of disappointing fourth quarter results with revenue that missed analysts' expectations, the resignation of co-CEO Jim Balsillie, and news that the company would complete a “comprehensive review of strategic opportunities.”

News Headlines
    04-05-12 10:34 PM
    Interesting...

Either they are being fired because Mr.T is laying down the book, or they are getting our early.
    04-05-12 11:13 PM
    Quick way to know if they left or were let go is to keep tabs on their career moves, if they walk right into another job, it is a good chance they left on their own,

if we don't hear about them for 3-6 months, chances are they got let go, and 1 are enjoying some relaxation time, and 2 they are looking for work.

usually if a guy leaves on his own and doesn't plan to work right away that is included in an announcement about wanting more family time or something and well wishing for the company
    04-05-12 11:17 PM
    Any word on replacements? I wonder if they will continue to promote from within to fill these vacancies.
    04-05-12 11:23 PM
    Replacements are not a must for some jobs places but definitely, rim will need to focus on BB10 and then make some money and then add some nice people to take over.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    04-06-12 12:25 AM
    Quick way to know if they left or were let go is to keep tabs on their career moves, if they walk right into another job, it is a good chance they left on their own,

if we don't hear about them for 3-6 months, chances are they got let go, and 1 are enjoying some relaxation time, and 2 they are looking for work.

usually if a guy leaves on his own and doesn't plan to work right away that is included in an announcement about wanting more family time or something and well wishing for the company
    An even better way to know is to see how soon RIM replaces them.

Although, tbh, I doubt all of them were left go (at the same time I doubt all left voluntarily) because no company should let so many key execs leave at the same time.
    04-06-12 01:16 AM

This is true and that is exactly what I was going to be looking for... although there are reasons for the people not to get jobs right away, if ever again. I dont see Jim working anywhere else due to the act that he WAS RIM and RIM was HIS LIFE... regardless of the type/quality of job that he did through the years I think it would be very difficult to do anything else.
    04-06-12 02:29 AM
    This could be due to the delays in BBM coming to QNX. I would imagine that as head of BBM platform he would have a key role in managing and overseeing it ported to BB10. As VP a lot of the blame would be placed on him.
    bobauckland likes this.
    04-06-12 07:33 AM
    Or they could be given a choice of fired or quit.
    04-06-12 07:38 AM
    Any word on replacements? I wonder if they will continue to promote from within to fill these vacancies.

I actually don't expect replacements as much as roll realignments,
    RIM has had far too many managers and bosses,
    That level needs trimming, and more transparency with the CEO, during a time of reconstruction.

I hate to hear of people losing their jobs, but I am still pleased that RIM continues on fat cutting endeavors, and that they are cutting fat from the top and not just removing low level staff,
    Chrisy and Superfly_FR like this.
    04-06-12 08:29 AM
    This could be due to the delays in BBM coming to QNX. I would imagine that as head of BBM platform he would have a key role in managing and overseeing it ported to BB10. As VP a lot of the blame would be placed on him.
    Delays?

What delays bringing BBM to QNX? we've seen no QNX device that should have BBM that wouldn't cause a Service revenue nightmare for RIM
    04-06-12 08:30 AM
    This is true and that is exactly what I was going to be looking for... although there are reasons for the people not to get jobs right away, if ever again. I dont see Jim working anywhere else due to the act that he WAS RIM and RIM was HIS LIFE... regardless of the type/quality of job that he did through the years I think it would be very difficult to do anything else.

I could very much see Jim going into politics, I actually trust him more than half the politicians we have in Ontario
    04-06-12 08:32 AM
    This shows RIM doesn't need to be bought to make substantial change. These managers that left were most likely given an honourable exit

RIM can change now, or someone else can do it for them down the road
    04-06-12 09:03 AM
    I could very much see Jim going into politics, I actually trust him more than half the politicians we have in Ontario
    Maybe he will finally get his NHL team.

Paul Allen got professional sports teams after leaving Microsoft.
    04-06-12 09:09 AM
    I actually don't expect replacements as much as roll realignments,
    RIM has had far too many managers and bosses,
    That level needs trimming, and more transparency with the CEO, during a time of reconstruction.

I hate to hear of people losing their jobs, but I am still pleased that RIM continues on fat cutting endeavors, and that they are cutting fat from the top and not just removing low level staff,
    This is a very likely reason. We've heard many times that rim is bogged down by teams not working together and a huge bureaucracy like atmosphere. They would probably do well to streamline things.
    04-06-12 09:19 AM
    No way to know of they are all leaving on their own or being asked to leave. Possible that it's a combination of both. Some are being asked to leave for whatever reason -- realignment, performance, irrelevance, could be anything. Others may be making their own way out before they they think they are inevitably asked to, or before the ship sinks.

TBH, I've used BBM and I don't know what all the fuss is about. There's SMS, and there are multi-platform apps that do pretty much the same thing when SMS isn't enough. I joined a BBM group and recently left it. I have a handful of BBM contacts, exactly one of whom I converse with regularly. Maybe I'm just antisocial. It was a nice feature, but it's no longer the differentiator it once was. Either RIM execs aren't happy with that development, or Mr. Mitchell has seen that writing on the wall and figured it was time to move on. We'll probably never know. Brenner's departure could simply be a result of the maturation of BBOS and the pending transition to BB10, or he too is jumping ship. Could be good news, could be bad news. We won't know until the fat lady sings.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-12 09:29 AM
    No way to know of they are all leaving on their own or being asked to leave. Possible that it's a combination of both. Some are being asked to leave for whatever reason -- realignment, performance, irrelevance, could be anything. Others may be making their own way out before they they think they are inevitably asked to, or before the ship sinks.

TBH, I've used BBM and I don't know what all the fuss is about. There's SMS, and there are multi-platform apps that do pretty much the same thing when SMS isn't enough. I joined a BBM group and recently left it. I have a handful of BBM contacts, exactly one of whom I converse with regularly. Maybe I'm just antisocial. It was a nice feature, but it's no longer the differentiators it once was. Either RIM execs aren't happy with that development, or Mr. Mitchell has seen that writing on the wall and figured it was time to move on. We'll probably never know. Brenner's departure could simply be a result of the maturation of BBOS and the pending transition to BB10, or he too is jumping ship. Could be good news, could be bad news. We won't know until the fat lady sings.

As I said in another Thread BBM is like any other social network it isn't for everyone,
    Joining a BB group for the sake of a group wont lead to enjoyment of groups, creating groups out of existing contacts, and them adding contacts makes for a valuable group
    groups with purposes, like organizing a family event, or getting a project done, or a talking about a sport.
    I never saw the value in twitter when I first started using it barely touched it, then I met 2 or 3 people who I enjoyed conversing with, started exploring what it could do more and now I spend probably an hour a day going through tweets, it has replaced my RSS reader.
    SMS is far to limiting and also far to costly because I limit my SMS usage I don't pay monthly for it, I pay per SMS which usually is less than $5 per month.

I very much think anyone jumping ship for fear of sinking would have done so this summer, those that held on during the beating RIM was taking this summer, surely think something of a recovery is possible, and if they don't, then I am glad they are gone, you need positive energy working in the building
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-12 09:47 AM
    This is a very likely reason. We've heard many times that rim is bogged down by teams not working together and a huge bureaucracy like atmosphere. They would probably do well to streamline things.
    That is what I am hoping!

I am really hoping that Heinz is building an open communication management structure and cutting through the years of bureaucracy that was built up by forming a management team using old AT&T executives
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-06-12 09:49 AM
    I think all the reasons given above are possible ... Some leaving the boat, some fired, some continuing their carrier plan ...
    Whatever it is, it might have been accelerated by Heins to give a strong sign of "changement"; which is what the (financial) market is waiting for.
    Heins won't be a charismatic CEO; he's not here for that ... and I don't believe that's his main characteristic anyway.
    04-06-12 09:55 AM
    I think that Thorsten is getting rid of all the BBOS guys and replacing them with QNX guys! Change us good, especially now!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-06-12 10:14 AM

TBH, I've used BBM and I don't know what all the fuss is about. There's SMS, and there are multi-platform apps that do pretty much the same thing when SMS isn't enough. I joined a BBM group and recently left it. I have a handful of BBM contacts, exactly one of whom I converse with regularly. Maybe I'm just antisocial. It was a nice feature, but it's no longer the differentiator it once was. Either RIM execs aren't happy with that development, or Mr. Mitchell has seen that writing on the wall and figured it was time to move on. We'll probably never know. Brenner's departure could simply be a result of the maturation of BBOS and the pending transition to BB10, or he too is jumping ship. Could be good news, could be bad news. We won't know until the fat lady sings.
    SMS doesn't even compare. You have SMS, two cans and a ball of string, other apps and BBM. I feel BBM is the leader in most areas for messaging. The only real problem is that it is not a cross platform system. Other then that it's great.

James
    04-06-12 10:26 AM
    I think that Thorsten is getting rid of all the BBOS guys and replacing them with QNX guys! Change us good, especially now!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    I can imagine getting rid of project leaders that know nothing about QNX. But do top execs, who usually aren't expected to be technical, deserve to be sacked?

I do hope the new blood will help turn things around.
    04-07-12 09:31 AM

Postings of BBM on qnx was just released.
    04-07-12 09:36 AM
    Removing the fat, as you put it, is likely a good thing since it will also probably force out the lower level "yes men" that were loyal to whatever upper management said.

I do think they will need to hire really creative talent from outside the company, however, Heins himself is an insider and had even initially stated that RIM was on the right track, so he might need to find himself someone that can really think outside the box.
    04-07-12 09:42 AM
    Removing the fat, as you put it, is likely a good thing since it will also probably force out the lower level "yes men" that were loyal to whatever upper management said.

I do think they will need to hire really creative talent from outside the company, however, Heins himself is an insider and had even initially stated that RIM was on the right track, so he might need to find himself someone that can really think outside the box.
    I agree they need to bring in some outside talent, they NEED that CMO roll filled with someone fresh, and new, who will bright opinions of where the brand image has gone wrong and wants to fix it.

They need internal teams who are not afraid of mistakes, if something is going wrong asking for help from other team leaders to find solutions needs to happen, and problems need to be solved long before a delay is pending.
    04-07-12 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD