First thing: I have a Curve on my Sprint account. I have two lines with Verizon, both up for upgrades. One line belongs to my mother.

She's seen my use my bb for nearly everything (Sprint line is mostly work purposes, Verizon personal use). I was thinking of getting a blackberry for my personal line too and well, the 'rent wants one too.

Which would be a great 'starter' blackberry?

Things I should mention:
    1. She's never used a pda/smartphone before.
    2. She's 57 years old and just starting into the 'new age' products.
    3. I've started her on my Curve and am pretty surprised as to how fast she's learned some of the features already (tonight we covered how to use the trackball, back button, menu button, and how to listen to songs, altho we have to cover that more)
    4. She doesn't know how to use a computer, let alone move a mouse. (Which is why I'm surprised as to how fast to learn what she did, tho she might forget by tomorrow).
    5. She has a hard time seeing from up close, so any phone she gets needs to be set at largest font setting (not that it would stop her anyway).
    6. She's eager to learn, BUT she likes to take her time.

Because of her liking to take her time to learn things so they stick with her longer, I was thinking about first buying her a reconditioned 8703e for starters and than gradually move her to a Curve, or perhaps another reconditioned older blackberry (after the 8703e but before the Curve kind of deal). Not sure yet (who has the money for so much phone swapping?!)

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. ♥
    07-02-09 12:06 AM
    Just get her a curve. My mom switched to a curve from a regular phone and was loving it in no time! It sounds like she could pick it up relatively easily and a curve is a tried and true phone. The bold does have a big screen but that might be a bit high end for someone to learn on lol. You gotta go with a trackball berry, that old trackwheel was a waste of time to me lol. Good luch!

JB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 12:13 AM
    Take her to the store and let her pick because our opinions don't matter cuz will are not the ones using the device.

07-02-09 12:18 AM
    Take her to the store and let her pick because our opinions don't matter cuz we are not the ones that will be using the device.

07-02-09 12:18 AM
    I have one of the latest BB's out there I would say, plus we've already been to both Sprint and Verizon. Bold is a no because I'm not switching to AT&T. Storm is a no, because Touch screen is just way out there. Her only options at this point would be the Curve or the Tour.
    07-02-09 12:52 AM
    I would say just get her a curve, like you stated she is learning onthat and to your surprise doing pretty good so why switch it up on her? I mean yeah I'm sure shed learn just as fast on other bbs but I have a curve and once you learn what there is to learn its kinda like riding a bike, you don't forget and you gradually get better, that's my personal suggestion :-) hope I helped slightly.
    07-02-09 01:17 AM
    Just got my technically challenged 73 year old mother a Curve and she's adapted quite well. She's all over Facebook with the grandkids, snapping pictures and posting them. Quite the surprise. I say get her the Curve.
    07-02-09 01:23 AM
    I agree; go with the Curve. It seems to be a very popular phone - I know that my grandmother loves her. She saw both my mom and myself loving ours that she had to get one because of how easy it was to use.
    07-02-09 01:29 AM
    I have one of the latest BB's out there I would say, plus we've already been to both Sprint and Verizon. Bold is a no because I'm not switching to AT&T. Storm is a no, because Touch screen is just way out there. Her only options at this point would be the Curve or the Tour.
    Check out the pearl flip. Got one for the wife on the 20th and she loves it. Small, light, great screen and big buttons on the keyboard.
    07-02-09 01:29 AM
    Unless she is going be a BlackBerry addict like us, go with the Curve. Sure, the Tour will be sweet but it's going to have the new OS layout that changes the look of everything (drastically in some cases). But if she's learning fast maybe the Tour's larger screen would help. Just stay away from the Pearl and older models.

07-02-09 01:35 AM
    I'd say go with the tour if $$ is not an issue.

if not then the curve.
    07-02-09 09:23 AM
    Let her go play at the store. Since it's going to be her phone, she should decide.
    07-02-09 09:56 AM
    Since it's going to be her phone, she should decide that's right!!!
    08-20-09 12:11 PM
    The curve gives you the bells and whistles while having a comfort level about it that is not intimidating to the new user.
    08-20-09 01:25 PM
    I got my mother the Curve and she is very happy with it.
    08-20-09 01:26 PM
    my mom is almost 60 and loves her curve however i would have gotten her a tour if it was out. i say get her a tour . alot easier on the eyes than the curves low res screen.
    08-20-09 02:32 PM
    Slightly off topic: I'm amazed at how many of us by our mothers phones. Sure, it's just a small token of appreciation but cool nonetheless.

08-20-09 09:33 PM
    Slightly off topic: I'm amazed at how many of us by our mothers phones. Sure, it's just a small token of appreciation but cool nonetheless.

Lol good point!

Also a good point is that the Tour has the higher res screen and what I feel is a more simple layout than the curve has. So freakin awesome though I think I may buy my mom a blackberry now!

08-21-09 05:02 AM
    i think you have to go mobile shop with your mom because her choice matter's.............
    08-21-09 05:22 AM
    You said she wants your Curve. Why don't you just give it to her and get yourself whatever?

Drawing from experience with my mom - when she is comfortable with something, she does not like to swap even for better upgrades. So, if she likes yours - give it to her and buy yourself same/diff phone

08-21-09 06:36 AM
    Suggestion: Storm. She'll benefit from the large screen and easy navigation. Although you should take her to see different models, let her try them out, and see which one she thinks will best suit her.

08-22-09 09:07 AM
    My suggestion would be the curve since that's what you have and what you can best help her learn. Probably thou the decision has already been made since the this thread was started almost 2 months ago.
    08-22-09 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD