Hey all!

I found this forum earlier today after getting my hands on the Bold 9000 model (Thanks due a clearance on my company of old devices and a ruffle, lol). I like to mess around with devices, so I thought that, besides a backup phone, I could use it for, euh, something.

But well, as a late adopter of almost every single mobile technology, I'm totally clueless, as I've never used on of those devices. As I got some raspberries around my house, I was thinking on connecting both devices somehow (raspberry and blackberry, hah) to control processes, or using it as a front for, euh, whatever It can be used.

So, any ideas? Any kind of project I can put my hands on? What are the limitations of the device?
    01-10-17 03:06 PM
    You can use it to hold down paper from flying away.
    Welcome to the board.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 03:10 PM
    Sorry but I doubt you'll be able to do much.... with the "Security" built into the hardware, you won't be able to install any custom software, and with the limited capabilities and how long it's been out of production, doubt you'll find too many apps to assist you in doing much beyond what it is meant to do.

Might be best to use it as a trade-in the next time you buy a new phone... if you carrier offers such things. Got a $100 for my old Palm.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-10-17 03:43 PM
    This^^^^^except I think I once got $28 for a 9930
    01-10-17 03:43 PM
    If you want to use it as a phone.... you'll need a Plan that offers BIS.

You can also check out http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ut-bis-996682/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-10-17 03:45 PM
    01-10-17 04:29 PM
    Sorry but I doubt you'll be able to do much.... with the "Security" built into the hardware, you won't be able to install any custom software, and with the limited capabilities and how long it's been out of production, doubt you'll find too many apps to assist you in doing much beyond what it is meant to do.

Might be best to use it as a trade-in the next time you buy a new phone... if you carrier offers such things. Got a $100 for my old Palm.
    So... what I got is basically a locked-down old smartphone? Well, I'll see if I can use it as a backup device, or just tear it apart to salvage, euh, something.

Thanks!
    01-10-17 04:40 PM
    So... what I got is basically a locked-down old smartphone? Well, I'll see if I can use it as a backup device, or just tear it apart to salvage, euh, something.

Thanks!
    Blackberry OS 5 is too old to recomend something, it is a very beaoutiful Phone, but the only use I see on it is like a media Device and BIS connected, but not for a long time

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 08:53 PM
    I dunno...Music player? Exercise tracker? Phone calls? Junk email receiver?

Via Q5

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 09:38 PM
    a 9000 or a 9900?

9000 would be useless but a 9900 would still be usable
    01-10-17 09:45 PM
    I have used my old 8700 as a Bluetooth keyboard for my Evernote to do list via my PlayBook via Bridge.

I know that's not terribly impressive, bit it allows me to keep my PlayBook in its cradle and update my to do list when I'm working at a project table in my office!

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    01-11-17 07:52 AM
    You could still play Brickbreaker on it - ah, the memories!
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    01-12-17 09:06 AM
    If it has wifi could it maybe be used as a remote for kodi? Not sure if there is software for that. Is there anything like SplashTop? As a mobile PC input device it would be great.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 04:38 AM
    Sending and receiving texts, making and receiving calls, sending and receiving emails?

If it's locked down by company policy, you can clear it with <code>loader.exe /resettofactory</code>
    01-13-17 05:08 AM
    I actually use the 9900 everyday as an mp3 player. It's small enough that it's great for that!!
    01-14-17 08:41 AM
    I actually use the 9900 everyday as an mp3 player. It's small enough that it's great for that!!
    Yeah, me too.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    01-15-17 04:09 AM
    Do you have a table that wobbles? Just jam that sucker under the leg and the table will be as good as new.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-15-17 09:59 AM
    9930 is a great phone and an excellent mp3 player!

Posted via CB10
    01-15-17 11:35 AM
    It's a pretty good hockey puck
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-15-17 06:09 PM
    I have used my old 8700 as a Bluetooth keyboard for my Evernote to do list via my PlayBook via Bridge.

I know that's not terribly impressive, bit it allows me to keep my PlayBook in its cradle and update my to do list when I'm working at a project table in my office!

Posted via CB10
    I do much similar bridging 9900, and also an old 9650, on PlayBook. Hdmi PB to large TV and SEE things while operating with a single thumb! Lol.

My company has about 30+ wifi only 9900s set up as data entry handsets for a specific QC/QA validation niche service we dominate. Legacy BBs make wonderful data entry terminals!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and RaybanRJ like this.
    01-16-17 01:03 PM
    Well, BIS plans on my country are as cheap as playbook these days, so I decided to reactivate my old torch 9810, what I'm doing is syncing all the contacts (thanks to outlook 2010), music (iTunes 12.1, the one With The Red icon) and calendar (Again, outlook) via desktop software on win 10, what I'm going to add in future, the BlackBerry Presenter, that alone makes my torch (and your Bold as well) a productive machine that lets you replace your desktop for presentations, two battery packs (like BlackBerry Z10/Q10 battery bundles) for having nearly "unlimited" battery, a 64 gb micro sd for having tons of space, and Apps like the onedrive client and instagram client makes the torch a strong contender, add to that list the possibility of using Facebook image sync to have more "good-looking" contacts, every 2 or 3 months reinstall the OS for having flawless experiences, With The setup I made, having all back in device is a easy task, good luck With The Bold, is a good device

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    01-17-17 04:44 PM
    I use my blackberry bold EVERYDAY - calls, text, mail, and work stuff. NOW...if you need all the glitz and glamour and swiping back and forth this is not it..other than that..it's a classic that's cool and a conversation piece.
    rayporsche likes this.
    10-30-17 09:30 PM
    If not using it for calls/texts/emails then I would suggest selling it to someone who might get some use out of it :-)
    10-31-17 10:03 AM