When manufacturers/carriers provide the specs on specific phones, it would be so helpful if they would provide the strength of the radio of the phone. This would let you make a more intelligent decision in choice of phones and enable you to compare phones on more than size, weight etc.. Poor radio strength is something you only discover when you have the phone in your hands at which time,more often than not, the carrier would tell you that the lack of signal is caused by location or excessive tower traffic. The strength varies by manufacturer and by the model/ build of the phones of the same manufacturer. SO, which are the strongest Blackberry phones? My #1 concern when buying a phone is if I can receive and send calls regularly.
    10-23-10 02:00 PM
    Guess you have to ask what network also to help yourself out more and are you using it in good signal areas.

I can say thou, going from my Bold 9000 to the Torch was a drop in AT&T 3G reception but thats not everyones experience.
    10-23-10 07:12 PM
    my 8330 had a better Radio than my 9630.

I was always impressed with my 8330
    10-23-10 10:04 PM

Definitely agree on this also. I had the same experience. That's part of what helped ease my decision not to upgrade to the 9650 Bold since it seems to share the same radio as the Tour.
    10-23-10 10:06 PM

Were they both on the same carrier? Used in the same locations? Etc etc....... There are other factors involved. I don't think this question can actually have a real answer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-10 12:51 PM
    Were they both on the same carrier? Used in the same locations? Etc etc....... There are other factors involved. I don't think this question can actually have a real answer.

Both Same Carrier, Both Always carried together, my 8330 would continue to get signal longer than my 9630 whilst traveling.

admittingly I may only get 1km of extra range, but I got it consistently
    10-24-10 01:13 PM
    Curve 8530!
    10-24-10 03:46 PM

In my case, yes. Same carrier, same areas. Curve consistently registered a better signal (in actual dBm, not just going off bars) than my Tour ever did. My Droid 2 gets better/more consistent signal (again, based off dBm, not the bars on the meter) at the same locations as the Tour and the Curve did.

I don't see where that's so hard to believe. Different phone design, antenna, radios will produce different results even on the same carrier in the same place.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-24-10 at 07:39 PM.
    10-24-10 07:36 PM
    Curve 8530!
    I went with the 9300 when my company offered 8530's or 9300's to us as replacements for our 8330's ALL of the guys who are on the 8530's are complaining about the signal of the 8530's vs the 8330's since we all travel to rather remote locations we notice these things
    10-24-10 07:49 PM
    Didn't say it was "hard to believe" just that there are other factors involved. My gf and I both have Storm 9530 on different carriers and our signals aren't the same. She gets dropped calls while I have never experienced that before. So You see. Same phon design antenna and radio. The carrier DOES play a part of it as well. So you can't really answer it based on the phone alone.

But I'm not hear to fight with you. If you say YOUR phones in YOUR areas with YOUR carrier. Then good. Stuff. I'm glad it worked out weLl for you.

10-24-10 08:35 PM
    I went with the 9300 when my company offered 8530's or 9300's to us as replacements for our 8330's ALL of the guys who are on the 8530's are complaining about the signal of the 8530's vs the 8330's since we all travel to rather remote locations we notice these things
    See Sandman.... Different opinions based on different user experiences. Different locations also played a part. There is no DEFINITIVE answer to the OP's question.

10-24-10 08:59 PM
    I think there is an answer as long as we're able to simplify the question further.
    Be specific to which carrier, which state, which city and which address.
    If you can get reports from people who live there, then there's your answer.

10-24-10 09:05 PM
    Didn't say it was "hard to believe" just that there are other factors involved. My gf and I both have Storm 9530 on different carriers and our signals aren't the same. She gets dropped calls while I have never experienced that before. So You see. Same phon design antenna and radio. The carrier DOES play a part of it as well. So you can't really answer it based on the phone alone.

But I'm not hear to fight with you. If you say YOUR phones in YOUR areas with YOUR carrier. Then good. Stuff. I'm glad it worked out weLl for you.

What different factors? You're the one comparing apples to oranges by comparing your storm with your gf's on different carriers. If you go back and read, Russet and I are both comparing all of the devices we're talking about at the same locations, on the same network at the same time. No other factors involved there what so ever. Just device A and device B both sitting within arms reach of eachother both on the same network both giving different results on that network.

What that means is that one of the devices performs better than the other one, at least within the samples we happen to posess/know folks who possess.

Your comparison is like saying the corvette on tarmac is faster than the porche on a muddy rutted up road and is an impractical comparison. If you're not comparing devices on the same network in the same location, all you're doing is wasting your time because it is meaningless.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-24-10 at 09:45 PM.
    10-24-10 09:40 PM
    My 8330 consistently kicks my dads 8530 signal strength to the curb.

Right now, we're driving from Ocala, FL to Milton, FL with our phones side by side.

Service via Sprint.
    8330 = -84 dBm.
    8530 = -110 dBm.

10-25-10 06:46 AM
    I am getting dropped calls on the 9650 in the same areas where my 8830WE held them.
    Interestingly, my 9650 drops calls where my 9800 won't. I find that interesting, considering the carrier wars and opinions on this forum.

10-25-10 07:27 AM
    I am getting dropped calls on the 9650 in the same areas where my 8830WE held them.
    Interestingly, my 9650 drops calls where my 9800 won't. I find that interesting, considering the carrier wars and opinions on this forum.

You must be holding it wrong lol

10-25-10 07:31 AM
    My 8830 WE had the strongest signal of any BB I've ever owned or used and it wasn't even close. It really makes me mad.

Speaking of...where did I put the 8830? I might have to go back to it. IMO the 8830 WE was and is the best BB ever made. It may not have had all these ******** "I wanna be an iphone" bells and whistles, but it was a better all around device than any that I've had since.
    10-25-10 11:44 AM
    You must be holding it wrong lol

Cheeky little monkey.....
    10-25-10 12:48 PM
    Since I managed to fry my 9000 today(connected it to a battery charger) I changed the sim card into my old 8707v and it seems to hold a steady signal where any other orange phone I had dropped it, even the 9000. So there you go, new is not always better.

10-25-10 03:53 PM

The 9630 Tour I had and the 9650 Bold I now have both have fluctuating signal strength with Sprint on CDMA.

However, whenever I used both of those devices in Central America with a GSM carrier, I got consistent 5 bars almost EVERYWHERE I went, I even got coverage in the middle of the Panama Canal on a boat!
    10-25-10 04:45 PM
    2 9650s & an old (very) simple phone on Sprint. When together, at home or away, the signal on all 3 is identical. So either the towers, or other local interference affects us much more than model.
    10-25-10 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD