I was wondering how the data usage varies between Mobile Hotspot, Tethering and Bridge.

My question is geared towards what uses RIM's NOC. I like Mobile Hotspot for the speed, however does Hotspot take advantage of RIM's NOC? Or just carrier networks?

I would like to take advantage of RIM's compression technology and was curious if only Bridge would incorporate this? Does tethering and Mobile Hotspot take advantage of the compression technology?

I can't find answers to these questions anywhere thanks for your help
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-02-12 12:06 AM
    Exact same questions here, since I've updated my 9900 with latest 7.1 leaked OS.
    I'll add the following : what about my bill ? If I use bridge, then no hassle, it's included in my unlimited plan; so far I know, if I tether, I pay for extra data; what about hotspot ?
    03-02-12 03:40 AM
    Interested in an answer myself??
    I would like to use my Verizon unlimited global data, BB7.1 and hot spot in Kazakhstan. Hopping it works.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-02-12 at 04:46 AM.
    03-02-12 04:43 AM
    Interested in an answer myself??
    I would like to use my Verizon unlimited global data, BB7.1 and hot spot in Kazakhstan. Hopping it works.
    You'll probably have, anyhow, a data roaming fee if you're outside your provider country.
    You might consider asking for a temporary extra plan; without this, any data transfer may cost you "un bras" (SFR : Used as-is, out of country zone data plan is about €1 per ... Mb , but I can subscribe monthly plan with 15 Mb/day for about the fifth).
    03-02-12 05:02 AM
    Exact same questions here, since I've updated my 9900 with latest 7.1 leaked OS.
    I'll add the following : what about my bill ? If I use bridge, then no hassle, it's included in my unlimited plan; so far I know, if I tether, I pay for extra data; what about hotspot ?
    Anyone have the answer to this?
    06-28-12 09:04 AM
    I have an Unlimited Data Plan through Verizon.

Bridge = Free, but can only be used with a BlackBerry Playbook Device. Nothing else.
    -Almost all Apps that require the internet will work that I have tried so far.

Hot Spot = Verizon will charge a $20/Month Fee and cap it at 3GB, unless you pay I believe like $10 for every additional 1GB (or something like that)

I can't answer if they go through RIMs NOC or not, but if I was a betting man I would say yes it does. The only time it doesn't use RIMs NOC is when you have the WIFI turned on, but I could be wrong I don't work for either company! Haha

Hope that helps.
    06-28-12 09:39 AM
    I don't know about the rest but on my carrier, 3g, the difference in speed between them all is marginal and not worth the hotspot or tethering charges.
    06-28-12 09:53 AM
    Anyone have the answer to this?
    Included with Bell Mobility, provided you do not go over your limit.
    06-28-12 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD