View Poll Results: If smartphone and tablet/laptops converge, so that only one device was needed for phones and apps...

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would prefer a smaller phone-type device with all mobile apps and some desktop apps.

0 0%
  • I would prefer a single tablet/laptop sized device with all desktop apps and some mobile apps.

1 20.00%
  • I would carry both a smartphone and laptop/tablet for the best of both worlds.

4 80.00%
    in the next 1-3 years ARM chips such as those from Qualcomm and Intel/AMD chips are predicted to compete more directly for marketshare as hardware advances allow for more powerful mobile devices. Microsoft has invested heavily in emulating it's Windows 10 PC operating system on Qualcomm's ARM chips, so it's next mobile device, the rumored Surface Phone, may feel more like a corporate tablet with longer battery life and always connected phone functionality. At the same time, Android and iOS devices are becoming more and more powerful.

Today, the typical knowledge worker uses a combination of laptop and/or desktop PCs running Windows, MacOS, and/or Linux and mobile phones running Android, iOS, Windows Mobile, BB10, or BBOS.

Within a few years, it may be feasible for these users to carry a single device that fulfills almost all of a typical users needs. The question for this poll is,

Given the choice, which solution would you choose, based on your needs and preferences?
    04-15-17 06:58 PM
    My actual "work"load can be handled with Office, Dropbox, and Acrobat, which exist already for both desktop and mobile platforms, but unless these hybrid devices can play Crusader Kings or run Visual Studio I'd have to keep things separated.
    04-15-17 07:58 PM
    My actual "work"load can be handled with Office, Dropbox, and Acrobat, which exist already for both desktop and mobile platforms, but unless these hybrid devices can play Crusader Kings or run Visual Studio I'd have to keep things separated.
    Well, from what we've been told, Microsoft's emulation should run Visual Studio just fine, so long as the processor isn't being overtaxed on the actual calculations. You could run it on the device or dock to a monitor/keyboard/mouse as a normal PC.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-15-17 08:05 PM
    Well, from what we've been told, Microsoft's emulation should run Visual Studio just fine, so long as the processor isn't being overtaxed on the actual calculations. You could run it on the device or dock to a monitor/keyboard/mouse as a normal PC.

Everything I have read about Redstone 3 says the ARM support is planned for tablets. Microsoft's own plans for a device to make calls if it ever comes would be late 2018 or 2019. Microsoft is not going to come out with another slab Windows phone.

Speculation is useless until the Build Conference. I have been developing around MS technologies and Windows for around 25 years. Long enough to know Microsoft's early promises and statements rarely live up to the hype.
    04-18-17 12:14 AM
    Everything I have read about Redstone 3 says the ARM support is planned for tablets. Microsoft's own plans for a device to make calls if it ever comes would be late 2018 or 2019. Microsoft is not going to come out with another slab Windows phone.

Speculation is useless until the Build Conference. I have been developing around MS technologies and Windows for around 25 years. Long enough to know Microsoft's early promises and statements rarely live up to the hype.
    Right, there's no reason for MS to chase the consumer handheld market. The win for them would be for corporate folks like me who would toss my handset altogether for a tablet that was always on/connected for telephony, especially with a hands-free BT with voice command. I would be thrilled to keep my tablet in my bag or in the back seat of my car and just use a wearable BT device for telephony. Then, when I needed to work, I'd have real windows available plus all the work mobile apps I actually care about that are already available on Windows.

04-18-17 12:11 PM
    I voted for "I would carry both a smartphone and laptop/tablet for the best of both worlds."
    04-18-17 09:40 PM
    Right, there's no reason for MS to chase the consumer handheld market. The win for them would be for corporate folks like me who would toss my handset altogether for a tablet that was always on/connected for telephony, especially with a hands-free BT with voice command. I would be thrilled to keep my tablet in my bag or in the back seat of my car and just use a wearable BT device for telephony. Then, when I needed to work, I'd have real windows available plus all the work mobile apps I actually care about that are already available on Windows.

Can't say what will work for you, Microsoft's mobile strategy since Nadella became CEO is to fully embrace and support Microsoft's Apps and services on iOS and Android. This strategy plays to Microsoft's strengths as primarily a software and services company. The focus also maximizes profits. Microsoft lost many billions of dollars chasing Balmer' obsession to be a big playing the mobile space and was fired by the BoD for this failure.

Nadella is determined to chart a very different course. Those who only measure mobile success will not see the great success Microsoft has achieved in mobile under Nadella, but Microsoft products are now very prominent on corporate iOS and Android phones. Many of these apps and services have much better Microsoft support on these platforms than they do on Windows mobile.
    04-19-17 01:29 AM
    Can't say what will work for you, Microsoft's mobile strategy since Nadella became CEO is to fully embrace and support Microsoft's Apps and services on iOS and Android. This strategy plays to Microsoft's strengths as primarily a software and services company. The focus also maximizes profits. Microsoft lost many billions of dollars chasing Balmer' obsession to be a big playing the mobile space and was fired by the BoD for this failure.

Nadella is determined to chart a very different course. Those who only measure mobile success will not see the great success Microsoft has achieved in mobile under Nadella, but Microsoft products are now very prominent on corporate iOS and Android phones. Many of these apps and services have much better Microsoft support on these platforms than they do on Windows mobile.
    I'm definitely not referring to Windows Mobile, which is just another niche mobile OS like BB10. I'm talking about the fact that all signs point to Microsoft releasing a Surface-type device running full windows on an ARM platform, which would offer better battery life and always connected data and phone. The latest Windows update includes phone-like functionality such as SMS in its menus.

I agree that Microsoft is happy to support iOS and Android, but that doesn't preclude them offering devices to support their vision of Windows Everywhere, especially for corporate users.

It sounds like you would really prefer to stick with the current mobile paradigm. I'm on the other side. Once I can use my always-connected tablet as a phone, I honestly can't see keeping iOS or Android. Just give me a 7"+ screen, real keyboard and track pad, and I'm GTG. :-)

04-19-17 05:35 AM
    I'm definitely not referring to Windows Mobile, which is just another niche mobile OS like BB10. I'm talking about the fact that all signs point to Microsoft releasing a Surface-type device running full windows on an ARM platform, which would offer better battery life and always connected data and phone. The latest Windows update includes phone-like functionality such as SMS in its menus.

I agree that Microsoft is happy to support iOS and Android, but that doesn't preclude them offering devices to support their vision of Windows Everywhere, especially for corporate users.

It sounds like you would really prefer to stick with the current mobile paradigm. I'm on the other side. Once I can use my always-connected tablet as a phone, I honestly can't see keeping iOS or Android. Just give me a 7"+ screen, real keyboard and track pad, and I'm GTG. :-)

I have zero preference in how Microsoft moves forward with their mobile strategy. What I do have is 25+ years of experience in the tech world working with Microsoft. My experience has shown that when Microsoft goes from gung ho to silent on a market that generally means they are leaving the space. For several years all you heard at Tech Ed, WWPC and Build was about phones. For the last several years at all Microsoft's conferences they are not even mentioned. You even see MS employees using non Windows phones.

Every thing I have seen points to MS thinking about something completely different that will not be ready until late 2018 or 2019. If they decide to give the phone market one more go. I see zero indications/credible rumors that Redstone 3 will be on a phone.
    04-19-17 10:58 AM
    I have zero preference in how Microsoft moves forward with their mobile strategy. What I do have is 25+ years of experience in the tech world working with Microsoft. My experience has shown that when Microsoft goes from gung ho to silent on a market that generally means they are leaving the space. For several years all you heard at Tech Ed, WWPC and Build was about phones. For the last several years at all Microsoft's conferences they are not even mentioned. You even see MS employees using non Windows phones.

Every thing I have seen points to MS thinking about something completely different that will not be ready until late 2018 or 2019. If they decide to give the phone market one more go. I see zero indications/credible rumors that Redstone 3 will be on a phone.
    I think we're actually talking about the same thing. Microsoft doesn't care about taking "phone" market share from Apple and Google. My point is that, if you build a Surface Tablet with an ARM chip and an always on cell connection, which Microsoft is likely doing by all accounts, some business users, especially those using VOIP, might not need a "smartphone" at all.

04-19-17 01:34 PM
    I think we're actually talking about the same thing. Microsoft doesn't care about taking "phone" market share from Apple and Google. My point is that, if you build a Surface Tablet with an ARM chip and an always on cell connection, which Microsoft is likely doing by all accounts, some business users, especially those using VOIP, might not need a "smartphone" at all.

I will say that my wife is just as likely to pickup her iPad to Facetime the kids as she is to call them. But generally she keeps contact via texting... which even I seem to do a lot more of, even at work. There just isn't an IM that has "caught on" in my market... like BBM did ten years ago. One that could be used on a computer also... fortunately the Verizon Messaging app does work on a PC

That said I prefer a more portable device... something along the lines of the NOTE is probable as big as I'd want to carry all the time.
    04-20-17 11:48 AM
    Thanks to all who participated. I think it's safe to say that the lack of responses suggests that very few CrackBerry users are interested in this topic at this time.

We heard today that Microsoft's ARM computers won't be available until Q4 of this year. Maybe I'll revisit the issue then, especially if we see those devices shipping with LTE.

04-21-17 05:25 PM
    lack of reponse might due to strict boundary set out for the question. Personally, I believe when 5G network become common for everybody the handset, tablet, or other all going to change. The minimum delay of the 5G will force game change, possibly rander to the OS currently we use a little or no relevence. The real time embedded system might be shin plus security - QNX? Not sure. True North? might be. I do not see myself holding either a tablet or handset if 5G become norm. Wearable, voice control, plus a car follow me like puppy with router access, don't need to worry about battery, etc.etc. The all big guys will battles out for 5G, but limited to current OS as selection? I have a little difficult to choose. All those OS got some pros and cons, just read chaps can't change to Droid because imessage additive not really compatible (how come BBM didn't round up all the fan like that). Apple got most close nit Eco system, possibly best migrate to 5G as a whole if I have to choose one... Too early to tell. IMHO.
    04-21-17 07:04 PM
    I think that tablet is more consumer than business device. Use 10" tablet for answering calls ? No... Use tablet for some decent excel analysis? No... not to mention graphic design, or Autocad or any other business app that requires comfort for work.
    For sure they will offer some dock for use to connect to external peripherals , but than it will be like: tablet+dock at least 1200 €\$, and for that much of money you can get excellent laptop+phone combo.
    It's same like mobile photography, with all those gizmos galaxy S8 is still more expensive than medium phone+true photo camera combo, which gives supreme photo qualty and 85% smartphone quality.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 12:57 AM
    I would have to say for work, I have already asked for a surface style tablet, but as I think about my days, and considering that I am out and about while wanting to stay connected to work, I would still end up carrying a smaller device. My classic works well for this. As much as I want one device, I would still need two.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 09:28 AM
    I would have to say for work, I have already asked for a surface style tablet, but as I think about my days, and considering that I am out and about while wanting to stay connected to work, I would still end up carrying a smaller device. My classic works well for this. As much as I want one device, I would still need two.

Posted via CB10
    I should add that the tablet need for work is for meeting with clients out of the office. I want to be able to take digital notes, display details of products and services in a large format, have digital docs signed, take photos of security as required, and have all this feed back to my network.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 09:31 AM
    I don't get how you can do the majority of your work mobile. I get checking email and specs quick, but advanced functions are just not workable on a phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 10:11 AM
    I don't get how you can do the majority of your work mobile. I get checking email and specs quick, but advanced functions are just not workable on a phone.

Posted via CB10
    That's been my experience, too. I need a PC with me 95% of the time I'm working. I like my phone as a phone and messaging appliance with emergency web-browsing capability. If I had a Surface Pro that could manage hands free VOIP calls (including voice command for dialing out) and SMS, I could jettison the phone and the separate mobile phone number for good.

04-23-17 04:13 PM
    I should add that the tablet need for work is for meeting with clients out of the office. I want to be able to take digital notes, display details of products and services in a large format, have digital docs signed, take photos of security as required, and have all this feed back to my network.

Posted via CB10
    There is a new product in development which claims to provide a paper-and-pen-like writing experience. The company is somewhere in Europe. Delivery date is Autumn 2017.
    04-25-17 07:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    I write documents using the vim text editor and produce PDF output via a LaTeX application on my BlackBerry Priv. In those situations requiring LaTeX features not available in the application, I use a secure file transfer application to send the .tex file(s) to my server, generate the PDF, and retrieve the document. For statistical analysis I use vim and R (on a server) or vim and Python (on a server).
    04-25-17 07:43 PM
    I write documents using the vim text editor and produce PDF output via a LaTeX application on my BlackBerry Priv. In those situations requiring LaTeX features not available in the application, I use a secure file transfer application to send the .tex file(s) to my server, generate the PDF, and retrieve the document. For statistical analysis I use vim and R (on a server) or vim and Python (on a server).
    That's impressive. I typically need Endnote when I write and require many pdfs open at once. I also use Excel, GraphPad, and SPSS routinely on columns that can have 100's of data points. I much prefer my 3 screens in my office.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-17 08:12 PM
    Just thought I'd post this from Windows Central to illustrate an example of what I mean by convergence:

Microsoft shows off Windows 10 on ARM in action
    05-12-17 08:52 AM