I just got my 9700 today.

How can I use the radio/mobile network connection, but also use WiFi for internet?

When I try it says I need a data plan...
    03-20-10 02:23 PM
    Do you have BIS on your account? Once you connect to the Wi-Fi you should see the network id next to your carrier and the Wi-Fi indicator should glow bright white. The white Wi-Fi means you are successfully connect to a Wi-Fi signal and that Wi-Fi signal has successfully connected you to BIS.

If you don't have BIS then you will not the bright white Wi-Fi light. You will still be able to connect to Wi-Fi and browse using the hotspot browser but without BIS you won't get push email, BBM etc and many of the apps won't work.
    03-20-10 02:47 PM
    No i dont have BIS.

Thats why I want to use WiFi to connect at home since I dont have BIS
    03-20-10 02:51 PM
    Do you have BIS on your account? Once you connect to the Wi-Fi you should see the network id next to your carrier and the Wi-Fi indicator should glow bright white. The white Wi-Fi means you are successfully connect to a Wi-Fi signal and that Wi-Fi signal has successfully connected you to BIS.

If you don't have BIS then you will not the bright white Wi-Fi light. You will still be able to connect to Wi-Fi and browse using the hotspot browser but without BIS you won't get push email, BBM etc and many of the apps won't work.
    When I turn off mobile network I can get WiFi but when its on, wifi doesnt work
    03-20-10 02:53 PM
    03-20-10 02:54 PM
    For internet only (since you need a BIS account to use BB Msgr and email - even over wifi) For simple browsing and other apps that use the net, make sure that app is set to use WiFi as the preferred connection (under options in each app) For the built in browser, make sure the browser type is set to (browser-Options-Browser Configuration) Set Browser to: 'Hotspot Browser'. You can still use hotmail etc through the browser... but you cant use the built in email app.
    03-20-10 03:08 PM
    But I dont have a UMA plan and that would turn on UMA
    03-20-10 03:10 PM
    But I dont have a UMA plan and that would turn on UMA
    UMA??

I mean, in some apps, there is a setting under their options... Mobile Network Preferred, WiFi Preferred, WiFi Only etc. ANd for the built in browser... just turn it to hotspot browser for WiFi only. I don't have UMA at all - I just tested it and was able to surf using my home WiFi network. Some other apps that I have and noticed have this setting are: BeeJiveIM, BeWeather, Scanner Radio. If they are set to Mobile Network only... then they won't be able to use WiFi.
    03-20-10 05:06 PM
    UMA??

I mean, in some apps, there is a setting under their options... Mobile Network Preferred, WiFi Preferred, WiFi Only etc. ANd for the built in browser... just turn it to hotspot browser for WiFi only. I don't have UMA at all - I just tested it and was able to surf using my home WiFi network. Some other apps that I have and noticed have this setting are: BeeJiveIM, BeWeather, Scanner Radio. If they are set to Mobile Network only... then they won't be able to use WiFi.
    Thanks to everyone... I got it to work.... It wasn't working before...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD